Sign in to follow this  
Feint

Paddle Mod

mod_PaddleMod.png

After struggling with the CRRC for a while, I wanted to make some real world improvements to it, like the ability to paddle it, the ability to turn it around in place without having to make a large circle, the ability to carry it onto land and into the water with a team...

Here's what I have so far:

Let me know what you think. In this video, I only show the paddling and the kill switch for the engine (so you can steer without the engine turning on). In the video, I used setFuel and variables to remember the previous fuel state. But the player keeps saying, "out of fuel!" which isn't very tactical. So I changed the killswitch to setHit "engine" 1 to basically kill the engine. You get the red engine indicator now, but that's fine. Let's you know to switch off the kill switch then.

I've also figured out how to turn the boat in place. It works well and looks OK. I want to see if I can make it look more realistic before finalizing it.

As for carrying the boat, that might be the thing that's a little too difficult for me to figure out. I could use attachTo to put 5 units under the boat, but getting them all to walk in the same direction at the same time, AND getting them to move correctly over hills, not sure how to do that. Maybe the driver would move the boat around and the other units would just be attached to the boat along for the ride but that would look terrible. I'll have to see what I can figure out. If anyone knows how to make custom formations, like formation delta but tighter and how to call that in a script, please let me know.

Edited by Feint
  • Like 1

That's badass. Could definitely use this for my units MARSOC element. Great work!

Most definitely needed and wanted. Hope you can get it into a releasable condition soon.

If you're looking for keys to replace the action menu, then perhaps the standard movements keys will be fine, as they're not in use when the killswitch is turned on?

I'm using the 5 SeaGull commands for paddle left, paddle right, paddle forward, paddle backward and kill switch on/off. The engine could be on and maybe someone would want to paddle forward or backward instead of using the engine. And when engine is off, left and right control the rudder/engine direction.

I've applied everything to the Rubber_duck_base_F class as UserActions with shortcuts. Only the driver of the boat can use them. Everything is coming together smoothly now. Just playtesting.

Once again you bring us something cool Feint. Very nice. Perhaps a custom formation around the boat, see if any animations look ok while they carry it around hip level, maybe attachto one guy and the rest are just animated? No clue if its even possible. Thx for the continued add-ons and hard work!

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried a few different attachTo variations and none of them are that good. They look OK for screenshots, but aren't very useful. And a custom formation isn't really possible from what I can tell. I can move everyone into position with doMove, but once I want to actually move forward, I have to keep running doMove in a loop and it doesn't work well depending on different loop delays I've tried. So I'm going to abandon that part of it for now unless someone has some other suggestions about how to do it.

Also, actually moving the CRRC: I've tried attachTo, but the boat will stay level, even over hilly terrain. SO I tried setPos in a running loop and that's dangerous if you run into anything as the boat can explode if it collides with anything and gets damaged. I have a few other ideas such as doing a looping setVelocity command, but I think I'll pause them and release what I have so far.

Maybe you should submit a ticket to the feedback tracker to allow you to do this in a easier way, some type of command to push somthing without all these hassles with the fuel and setpos and all that stuff. Not sure what that would entail but maybe worth a shot.

Nice work.

:cool:

Maybe you should submit a ticket to the feedback tracker to allow you to do this in a easier way, some type of command to push somthing without all these hassles with the fuel and setpos and all that stuff. Not sure what that would entail but maybe worth a shot.

Nice work.

:cool:

Thanks for the suggestion.

So far I've got the following working...

• Slight turn in place Left and Right
  • Paddle Forward and Backward
  • Greatly improved rudder!!
  • Slight increase in engine power from 18.5 to 24.5
  • Decreased the thrust delay from 2 to 1.5 which enables MUCH faster rudder and decreased power input delays

Everything is coming together nicely. Stay tuned.

Added a "Paddle to a stop" because you could stay at 1-3 kph forever it seems. :)

Possibility to shoot out from the boat?

No, there are a lot of problems trying to get that to work.

• I've tried using attachTo and setting animations to the default animations, but you can't swing your rifle far enough in any usable direction, even if you change your default game settings for rifle float, and you can't aim down the sites.
  • I've tried using attachTo and setting the player to crouch, but your head gets locked in the forward position. No good, can't look around.
  • I've tried using setPos in a continuous loop. This kind of works the best, but by default, whenever you are "falling", you enter into this weird half-crouched animation. So it looks ridiculous. Plus you have to run a continuous loop of setPos which will eat up fps fast.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas for shooting from boats. But I think BI is coming up with a solution on their own in the coming months. So I'll be interested to see what they come up with.

Feint could you look into these two:

1) Lower the Q speed, low gear mode, to something substantially more reasonable for when approaching shore.

2) When in Q speed, lower the dang engine sounds volume.

I dont even know if its possible without writing a whole new config for it, but if it is... :)