Sign in to follow this  
tortuosit

Dynamic weather script and addon: tort_DynamicWeather

Wonderful! Will try this ASAP!!!!! Permission to use it in the MANW contest?

Yes, all rights, only credits would be nice.

One thing I disliked (only a bit) is the complex debug... a "traditional" 0 or 1 for most of editors (IMHO) is fine... I had to delete all the hint lines ;)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean... Do you mean the rpt output... the complex command line... pls elaborate.

You are on credits. Check it out! here :)

I used the call you suggested (corrected the typos): 0 = [[0.35,0.01,0.2], "constant", [0.15, 0], [0, 0, 20], [0.7, 1, 0, 0.2, 0.8, 1], 0, 0] execVM "\@tort_DynamicWeather\script\tort_DynamicWeather. sqf";

I think this call is with debug off, isn't it?

Anyway, it spawned some hints, and I tried to search for an easy debug variable (true false, 0,1) and it seems different than the typical ones.

Removing the debug lines was the solution :)

You are on credits. Check it out! here :)

Thanks, seen it. Good luck with your mission! BTW script error in line 37...

Well debugMode can have multiple states, therefore it's not only true/false/0/1... Hmmm! If the script works correct, there should be only one hint with your command line. Will look into it again...

It's line 113 "hint format ["[sEED#%1] tort_DynamicWeather is running.[...]".

But you can search for "hint format" and delete the lines. Additionally, it writes to rpt more or less, search for "diag_log format".

BTW I've created a script for weather progression by matrix, http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?179628

Edited by tortuosit

@tortuosit the latest version is causing some sort of script lag. Whenever I try accessing the configuration menu mid game it does nothing.

Hmm, I've seen that sometimes myself (before my script existed) and read that also in the Pilgrimage thread, seems to be an ArmA ressources problem. Will have a look at it. But I didn't change something significant. The script starts one single endless while-loop, processes some weather commands, and has a long sleep inbetween...

Only I'm not 100% sure about savegame/reloading behaviour, are you doing this? I hope it doesn't start a new instance every reload. This is only for the mod version. It's time I should look at this.

Hi tortuosit,

When using a seed # it writes a Value #### to rpt, is this just a debug option that can be turned off?

When using a seed # it writes a Value #### to rpt, is this just a debug option that can be turned off?

Doesn't it write the correct seed number, or what do you mean? In case you use numbers bigger than 1mio it uses that value modulo 1mio and this happens. In the first line you see the exact command line and ArmA rewrites it to 4.56786e+006. But hey, please use numbers <1.000.000:

"TORT_DYNAMICWEATHER[ARGS] [cloudy, freeCycle, [0.1,0], [0.1,0.3], [0,0.8,0,0.6,0,1], 0, 4.56786e+006]"
"TORT_DYNAMICWEATHER[sEED#567856][iNITWEATHER] OC:0.53 FOG:[0.01,0.01,0] WSTR:0.24 WDIR:107.664 POS:[2981.5,5422.24,0.0029068]"

What I will do is disable all hints when in debug level 0. At that debug level, it only writes that two lines to RPT, I think that is OK.

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

Version 1.1.3.6

Minor changes.

- No hint if debug level 0

- Check if already an instance is running (interesting only for addon version and savegame usage).

It's the latest version in the zip, I forgot to increase the version number in pbo and script.

Hey tortuosit,

I have been using it on a listen server and on a dedi server (with only me) and it works well. Question is, have you, or anyone else, experienced with lots of players? How does it sync?

I've got no experience playing it in MP; isn't weather syncing now done by the server? You may ask NeoArmageddon, he has implanted the script (a few versions ago) into "Escape Altis" mission and played it.

EDIT:

V. 1.1.3.6 (again): https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfqcmzswn5yl2o9/%40tort_DynamicWeather_1.1.3.6.zip

- Allowed Multiplayer; added MP code examples to "scripts\MP Code\"

MP guys, let me know if that is what you need, because I'm not exactly sure.

Will I also have to put that MP params to the pbo version?

Code shamelessly stolen from NeoArmageddon... and edited a bit.

Edited by tortuosit

Doesn't it write the correct seed number, or what do you mean? In case you use numbers bigger than 1mio it uses that value modulo 1mio and this happens. In the first line you see the exact command line and ArmA rewrites it to 4.56786e+006. But hey, please use numbers <1.000.000:

Sorry I should have mentioned I'm using the script version, when using a seed number when calling the script it shows a message on the screen with numbers counting very fast, not sure but maybe I'm calling it wrong, will double check nxt time in game.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Sorry I should have mentioned I'm using the script version, when using a seed number when calling the script it shows a message on the screen with numbers counting very fast, not sure but maybe I'm calling it wrong, will double check nxt time in game.

Yes I think its a wrong call, keep in mind the last arguments are ...[minmax array], debugmode, seed]

You probably call ...[minmax array], 123456] - 123456 is the debug mode then! and will write you 123456 lines to rpt :D

What you probably want is ...[minmax array], 0, 123456]

HTH

Hmm, I've seen that sometimes myself (before my script existed) and read that also in the Pilgrimage thread, seems to be an ArmA ressources problem. Will have a look at it. But I didn't change something significant. The script starts one single endless while-loop, processes some weather commands, and has a long sleep inbetween...

Only I'm not 100% sure about savegame/reloading behaviour, are you doing this? I hope it doesn't start a new instance every reload. This is only for the mod version. It's time I should look at this.

No it happens on a new game too. Don't worry and take your time its not really a game breaker.

Code shamelessly stolen from NeoArmageddon... and edited a bit.

It was my pleasure.

I plan to upgrade the escape script with the newest version and some changes for better param control. I will post it here.

Maybe a cool thing would be a little library of seeds, so I could use them as presets for MP.

a little library of seeds, so I could use them as presets for MP.

You could also define some arrays with complete weather progressions with my other mod/script. But its very new and heavily untested ;)

I'm having issues starting the second chapter of the campaign with this mod enabled. It seems like it runs at the load, then tries running again at the cutscene then alternates and fails.

Is there a load delay capability? I'd like to set it to 7 minutes to start anyways. ;)

---------- Post added 07-09-2014 at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-08-2014 at 11:55 PM ----------

Nvm. I disabled this mod and it loaded fine once, disabled another and renabled this and it works fine! (Plus I downloaded the latest version rather than the PWS version. You should upkeep that ;D)

Hmm, the Addon has a process higher in the hierarchy, which looks if the weather script is running and if not, (re)starts. Have not tested it with the campign (have not yet even played the whole campaign!). Maybe I should :D Load delay.. easy, but why?

P.S. I have added a new trend (but not yet released), a more unrealistic one: it will simply make weather hop between the extremes.

Edited by tortuosit

Version 1.1.4

- Bug fixes

- Added new trend "oscillate" - weather always oscillates between extreme values. probRndChange and minMax still apply.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

Thanks for the update, i love using the "Random chaos" option, as an observation when using this it would be nice if it was a lot more brighter when there are less clouds to enforce the sun breaking through clouds feeling, i know its nothing to do with your scripts and an engine thing but i feel its letting the team down a bit there.

Version 1.1.5

Changes: Extended initial weather options.

a) Added optional randomness to initial weather array. An example: [[0.2, -0.8, 0.5], "freeCycle"], ...

Means: clouds exactly 0.2, fog will be random(0.8)(*), i.e. between 0 and 0.8, wind is exactly 0.5

Negative numbers inspiration comes from Engimas Arma2 weather script. It's done this way, because you

cannot put functions or formulas into the arguments.

b) added two initial presets: "rndGood" and "rndBad"

- the good one will have clouds/fog/wind between 0 and 0.5, the bad one between

0.5 and 1

As always, works both in addon version as well, is not yet documented in userconfig file.

*nitpicking mode: my PRNG function is called, not ArmAs random function :)

Ooh, it's complicated I guess. But flexible... Fun with numbers!

@Katipo66: Thanks for your kind words and I think, even if maybe some more could be done, what you mention would probably require excessive weather management which would be a bit outside of the scope of this mod :)

Edited by tortuosit

Funnily enough i thought that maybe it had been improved with the latest update, it does feel a lot brighter for me when clouds break.

I'm currently adding some UI interaction for the mod version, but will finish tomorrow. Support menu with submenus, it's not easy and a bit confusing.

Basically, it works, but I will have to double check if not duplicate instances are started etc...

You will be able to reset the weather engine via ArmAs support menu (0-8). Complete presets with all script command line benefits are possible. I'll add meaningful presets.

2014-08-03_00004izlfo.jpg

The Altis one looks like this:

terminate tort_DynamicWeather_handle;
tort_DynamicWeather_handle = [[0.3,0.01,0.2],"constant",[0.1,0.1],[0.05,0.15],[0,0.75,0,0.2,0,0.5],t_debugMode,t_randomSeed] execvm "\TORT_DYNAMICWEATHER\tort_DynamicWeather.sqf";

Version 1.1.6

Changes:

- [Mod version] Added UI interaction (ArmA support menu, press keyboard: 0-8)

You will find two menu entries with submenus now after you press 0-8 while playing:

1) "Weather: Re-initialize weather engine..": This will simply perform a complete restart of the module and sets a whole new weather situation, i.e. starting weather, trends, borders... Tell me if you wish other meaningful presets and how they should behave.

The first preset ("Personal settings (userconfig)") is a special one: it restarts the mod with exactly your settings which you set in the userconfigs config.hpp file.

2) "Weather: Set new weather trend..": This will change the weather trend on the long run. The effect will not be immediately visible and apply when the next weather calculation is done in the mod.

Setting the trend is simply done by exposing variables globally and setting them. In the MP world this may be a security problem. But the menu is only supported in the mod version currently, not in the script version.

Known issues: ground fog at sea level (happens night until morning) can be too thick. Will work on it.

Edited by tortuosit