Sign in to follow this  
FredAirland

Arma 3 Helicopters DLC Discussion (dev branch)

ATM it's not planned

https://mobile.twitter.com/Arma3official/status/492233663091052544

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Fast rope has been confirmed not on the main planned list of things. But i can guarantee that either in the future it will be done either by BI, or our modders, but not as a mod, but rather a simple script you can use on any server.

Well, I hope it Will be integrated vanilla

"we hope to deploy to the dev-branch soonâ„¢!" -A3Official Twitter

"It's not soon enough!â„¢" - Arma Community

Damn the completely sane reasoning for development testing, just give us some damn screenshots at least! The wait is horrible!

"we hope to deploy to the dev-branch soonâ„¢!" -A3Official Twitter

"It's not soon enough!â„¢" - Arma Community

Damn the completely sane reasoning for development testing, just give us some damn screenshots at least! The wait is horrible!

Why not give the developmental branch a go? Am having fun trying out the new model... Though there are a few kinks. Nearly fell off my chair with laughter last night :p

Why not give the developmental branch a go? Am having fun trying out the new model... Though there are a few kinks. Nearly fell off my chair with laughter last night :p

I've given the new FM a go. Several goes actually. It is fun, I can see many things that need improvement but it's still fun and has a lot of potential. At the moment however I don't think I can get the most enjoyment from it without a joystick and such.

But what I was talking about was sling loaded cargo and shooting from helos and flatbed trucks! I cry a bit every time I don't see an updated twitter feed with the words "dev-build", "firing from vehicles" and "sling loaded cargo" in the description.

I'd be overjoyed with just screenshots! Hell, even the devs talking about it for Zeus' sake! They could have screwed up/unfinished animations and all, I wouldn't care! I don't think they realize how long these features have been overdue and begged for by the community. I'm actually very new to it, myself, but damn! I just want more info at least.

They already confirmed that both MH-9 benches and offroad flatbeds are in use, so it's thankfully not just helos...

So will the new helicopters get released on the dev branch, from my understanding it was going to be on it. Can anyone confirm this?

So will the new helicopters get released on the dev branch, from my understanding it was going to be on it. Can anyone confirm this?

BIS release everything of theirs on the dev branch a few days before a release (or in the case of advanced flight models, a month almost). However, the new helicopters will be most likely non-accessible if you haven't got the helicopter DLC, otherwise you can place it down and observe it, but not actually fly it (as is with the new premium DLC system).

As has been previously described, you can't get in normally but you can place one in the Editor as "Player" (and I wouldn't be surprised if moveInDriver still works).

(and I wouldn't be surprised if moveInDriver still works).

The devs specifically mentioned this is intentional and will not be disabled.

Thanks for letting me know, I can remember reading somewhere that everything in the Helicopter DLC would be available on the dev branch before release. It must have excluded the new helicopters.

IMO at the very least this should not be released until all advise from this video is implemented to the best of their ability at least as a work in progress....

(Impressions on Arma 3's WIP Advanced Flight Model by Dyslecxi...

He understands the value of keeping this game as much a sim as possible...

Edited by CPL_HICKS
fix

IMO at the very least this should not be released until all advise from this video is implemented to the best of their ability at least as a work in progress....

(Impressions on Arma 3's WIP Advanced Flight Model (RotorLib) by Dyslecxi...

He understands the value of keeping this game as much a sim as possible...

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that is Dslyecxi's philosophy (and a fair amount to suggest that it isn't) and at one point he argued against implementing RotorLib in Arma 3.

Thanks for letting me know, I can remember reading somewhere that everything in the Helicopter DLC would be available on the dev branch before release. It must have excluded the new helicopters.

Mechanics through patches and the content through DLC, its unlikely we will see the DLC helicopters outside of the download.

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that is Dslyecxi's philosophy (and a fair amount to suggest that it isn't) and at one point he argued against implementing RotorLib in Arma 3.

My point was more referring to his suggestions on what Bi can do to make the heli characteristics more realistic without a complete overhaul of the engine/game.

Were his suggestions made in the video not in the interest of making it more realistic?

My impression is his recommendations are meant to be realistic possibilities of fixing certain aspects of it to help add realism without taking years and years and not a full comprehensive way to make it a true simulator which would be an unrealistic expectation within a reasonable time frame.

Alright. The time is nigh. I don't think any of us would care if the product is still in development stages, we'd all enjoy seeing at least some screens of slung cargo and shooting from vehicles in-game. If not both then one or the other. I don't want to be referred back to the RotorLib website to read up on it again. Despite the website having pictures of its own tech, this is like a Playboy magazine without pictures for lack of a better, but to myself, unseen interpretation.

crying-baby-300x300.jpg

i wish that the mv-22, f-35 ,c-130j and more new vehicles which we saw on arma3 preview screenshots will return in arma3 helicopter and also i want to see campaign and missions.

i wish that the mv-22, f-35 ,c-130j and more new vehicles which we saw on arma3 preview screenshots will return in arma3 helicopter and also i want to see campaign and missions.

The mv-22 sounds like a reasonable hope. As for the f-35 and the c-130, those aren't helos. Maybe later on in A3's development though. And the next major update to the campaign will be (if I'm remembering correctly) part of the expansion planned for 2015. Or if you consider the Bootcamp campaign as a major update to A3's campaign, then you can look forward to the (if there is one) campaign for the Marksman DLC which will be developed after the Helicopter DLC launches.

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/460-arma-3-roadmap-201415

Because bis don't have a lot on their plate now (that's irony for those so inclined to misread it) one thing they could try to make helicopter dlc EVEN more of a big deal is to enable a few more feature of the simul true sky technology they've already paid for to use in arma3. It looks so good.

Seriously it'll add even more to an already pretty epic flying experience.

Edited by twisted

Honestly, the MV-22 should be replaced with the V-Valor. But anyway's, looking good so far with the Rotor -Lib, just a few more tweaks and attention to detail here and there, and we can expect sling oading or shooting from vehicles to test out here pretty soon.

Sling loading's ETA is after weapon inertia gets staged on dev branch, which is supposed to be SOON, so presumably firing-from-vehicles is after sling loading.

Weapon Inertia got staged today so SOON might be the right word Chortles :D

Honestly, the MV-22 should be replaced with the V-Valor. But anyway's, looking good so far with the Rotor -Lib, just a few more tweaks and attention to detail here and there, and we can expect sling oading or shooting from vehicles to test out here pretty soon.
Sling loading's ETA is after weapon inertia gets staged on dev branch, which is supposed to be SOON, so presumably firing-from-vehicles is after sling loading.
Weapon Inertia got staged today so SOON might be the right word Chortles :D

All this "soonâ„¢" is making my stomach turn. I wish I had a project that would take me 600 miles away from my computer until the update arrived. At least on dev branch. And as much as I'd love that type of craft in A3, the Valor looks like the an anorexic civilian version of the MV-22. The thing just doesn't look military grade at all. And that said, I'd also say that it could be a civi craft in-game. But I don't think civilian-owned VTOLs are very practical. The Valor's 300 knots top speed is pretty sick though. Osprey still looks better in my opinion.

All this "soonâ„¢" is making my stomach turn. I wish I had a project that would take me 600 miles away from my computer until the update arrived. At least on dev branch. And as much as I'd love that type of craft in A3, the Valor looks like the an anorexic civilian version of the MV-22. The thing just doesn't look military grade at all. And that said, I'd also say that it could be a civi craft in-game. But I don't think civilian-owned VTOLs are very practical. The Valor's 300 knots top speed is pretty sick though. Osprey still looks better in my opinion.

Can't say I agree with you on the Valor's appearance, she's certainly got a military look to her! Especially when you consider the fact that unless you factor in the rarely mounted bellygun, the Valor has more defensive armament than the Osprey(2 door guns VS the Osprey's single ramp gun). That being said if the Osprey is in fact what we're getting as the NATO heavy lifter the Valor would have no business whatsoever taking its place.

Firstly it has only half the troop carrying capabilities of the Osprey(12 VS 24 for the Osprey). Yeah sure officially they're both considered medium lift helos but they are on two opposite ends of that category.

Secondly the Valor isn't even intended to replace the Osprey anyways, its a "potential" replacement for the Blackhawk in Army service. Seeing as in game the Blackhawk has been replaced by the Ghosthawk the Valor has seemingly been passed over.

Still it would be nice to see it in game someday, but not at the expense of losing something closer to the heavy lift capabilities currently still missing from the NATO faction. And yeah this "soon" mess is getting old, being as we're gonna have to pay to fully use them, it'd be nice if BI would at least throw us a "bone" with a few screenshots;)

That being said if the Osprey is in fact what we're getting as the NATO heavy lifter

I'd love to see official BI posts stating such facts. I can't just let my own reasoning boil down to what I want as facts, sadly. My stomach will continue to turn until I see BI posts confirming. :(

I did keep in mind that they're both considered medium lifts. I just wasn't thinking about to what extents. I guess it's to each is own in how the Valor's looks are viewed. My head is just clouded by how much I just want the Osprey to show it's pretty face. Preferably in two flavors: One with the ramp gun with lifting capabilities and the other with both the ramp and the belly mounted guardian.

I did make an earlier post about wanting a "futuristic" Osprey. If that means slimming everything down, giving it more armaments and the hull of a Blackhawk, I could live with that, definitely. I just really want to see the Osprey. In all its iconic glory.

And that big beautiful medium gray ass. #FS35237

Edited by Nullrick

Unfortunately BI has only said "heavy transport" and nothing more specific.