Sign in to follow this  
dr. hladik

ARMA 2: OA Beta build 124802 - (1.63 build, Steam only)

fixed:

https://dev.withsix.com/issues/74473

https://dev.withsix.com/issues/72574

to report any regression in 1.63 please see: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?177393-List-of-regressions-between-1-62-and-1-63-betas

edit: Small reminder - this beta is published as Beta branch of stable version. Not separated beta product.

Edited by Dr. Hladik

What's the deal with beta patches and retail copies? This seems like a major fix/update it should be on both retail and steam, not just one.

What's the deal with beta patches and retail copies? This seems like a major fix/update it should be on both retail and steam, not just one.

Exactly.

Why do you screw retail owners over this way? Having to uninstall everything, install steam, reinstall everything, reconfig everything, and why? Because suddenly someone thought it's easier to pass updates exclusively via steam?

We bought a non-steam retail game, therefore all official patches should be also available for our version of the game. It's simple as that.

Exactly.

Why do you screw retail owners over this way? Having to uninstall everything, install steam, reinstall everything, reconfig everything, and why? Because suddenly someone thought it's easier to pass updates exclusively via steam?

We bought a non-steam retail game, therefore all official patches should be also available for our version of the game. It's simple as that.

I was in the same boat, but used my retail keys to activate all of A2 on Steam as per this:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?177780-Bohemia-Interactive-s-15th-Anniversary

In addition to the free game, Bohemia Interactive today also announced that people who have previously bought a non-Steam version of Arma 2, including the expansions and DLC, are now able to redeem their product on Steam using their original Arma 2 or Arma 2 expansion game’s CD Key (often found inside the box or provided by the reseller via e-mail).

Hopefully the free Steam version offer still works...I'd try it immediately.

Exactly.

I would like to explain this in detail but that would reveal more than I should, so please wait for the more detailed announcement (of when I will be able do so)

but be assured we trying to not screw you, trying our best to keep our game playable, working even when some 3rd party service dies and even keep fixing the bugs (patching) it ...

so please have now patience with this period of 'updates' before more is explained and revealed about the OA future

and as how OMAC mentioned you can active your retail keys on STEAM

I would like to explain this in detail but that would reveal more than I should, so please wait for the more detailed announcement (of when I will be able do so)

but be assured we trying to not screw you, trying our best to keep our game playable, working even when some 3rd party service dies and even keep fixing the bugs (patching) it ...

so please have now patience with this period of 'updates' before more is explained and revealed about the OA future

and as how OMAC mentioned you can active your retail keys on STEAM

I assume this means that steam will be used exclusively, and the retail will be phased out?

It's a shame because the steam install really sucks. I love the fact that I can have both install in one folder without any screwing around.

Another issue with the Steam install is that the DLCs take up 2x the normal space, since there is a DLCsetup folder with all the download files, as well as the DLC folders (ACR/BAF/PMC) with the installed files. And there are two entries for PMC and BAF in Programs And Features, which is somewhat confusing.

1a000a330654872.jpg

I tried removing one of the Data Cache entries, but it removed both the installed DLC folder and the one in DLCsetup, so I had to re-download that DLC. I suppose I could try and remove the other entry, but who knows if that will screw something up or not. Jeesh. But now everything works great.

Although I don't think there has been official word about the death of non-Steam BI products, I assumed that was the case since only Steam versions are now sold on BiStore.

I don't get it what issues people have with steam. You can get the whole ArmA II complete including all DLC in one install for 5.99€.

I have choosen a steam copy over tinkering with all the retail DVD codes just because I am too lazy to do that. Even if Gamespy has shifted the end of the game browser a few weeks...it will happen and we can be happy that BIS is bothering to bring that fairly old game, ArmA II to another MP browser.

For hundreds of other games easy browsing of MP servers will cease to exist very soon.

Is there any way to bring/apply to A2 OA the "prototype of weather and time synchronization for MP" introduced in patch 1.14 form A3 if it's not this complicated or time consuming?

Added: Prototype of weather and time synchronization for MP.

Because I think it's very sad to be forced not to use such a beautiful weather cycle system as the one introduced in ArmA series, just because weather conditions and day time aren't synchronized/broadcasted across clients/players, ruining the balance/fair-play for everyone here seance A2 came out back in june 2009.

On our servers we are forced to always play with perfect weather conditions to keep the game as fair as possible for all players connected to our servers.

It's without contest a huge disadvantage for one player and a huge advantage for another player in rainy/foggy/changing weather conditions.

Like I can see player A 1 km away from me, because on my machine it recently stopped raining and the fog is gone or almost gone, and on player's A machine it's still raining and fog don't let him see me from exact same distance I can see him at the exact same time of the day. And than we still wondering who killed us and how? Because we didn't see anybody, but they were seeing us very well for a long time.

Edited by Groove_C

Exactly.

1.63 update is steam only. It is because the main, the most important feature of 1.63 is server browser based on Steam (which obviously needs steam).

The second major improvement is ownership checking via steam (used to be via gamespy).

We do not want to punish players that do not use steam, but as gamespy ends in very soon we wanted to give you at least some alternative. It's simple as that.

1.63 update is steam only. It is because the main, the most important feature of 1.63 is server browser based on Steam (which obviously needs steam).

The second major improvement is ownership checking via steam (used to be via gamespy).

We do not want to punish players that do not use steam, but as gamespy ends in very soon we wanted to give you at least some alternative. It's simple as that.

Great the Steam alternative!!!!!!!. I will never install Steam. If that means for us non Steam users there won't be any new patches well so be it. FTS.

cheers

Positions of thrown smokeshells differs on different clients (https://dev.withsix.com/issues/25053)

I can throw a smokeshell in front of me in order to cover myself while healing a teammate, but other players can see this smokeshell smoking up to 7 meters away from actual position (position observed by player who throws it).

Smokeshells also need their position being broadcasted/synchronized to all players.

I think this is also very important.

There is also a "bug" to correctly reflect actual damage level for HULL on Su-25 (Su39), Su-34, L-39 (L39_TK_EP1), An-2 (An2_TK_EP1) and A-10. Tested with 1.62.95248 @ no mods.

You can shoot several times at those airplanes with Stingers/Iglas or Sidwinders/R-73 and actual HULL damage level won't be reflected correctly - it remains all green all the way.

Once I land and start repair procedure, actual HULL damage level is only than reflected correctly, changing gradually/accordingly as repair procedure advances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LM5tA2c3YU&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsSixmGgK60&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT0Sj4DCyXs&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_d5vw52VBU&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-5VxHVfsQ&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Groove_C

Great the Steam alternative!!!!!!!. I will never install Steam. If that means for us non Steam users there won't be any new patches well so be it. FTS.

cheers

Well, you should be glad that there is at least some alternative. BIS could also decide to don't support OA at all, but they are supporting it even after 5 years and they gave you an good alternative. So stop being rude.

I really hate the posts about "steam sucks", "I will never install steam", "steam is evil", "oh my god I must have one more program running on the background" and so on. I will never understand why are people hating it so much.

Arma 3 is great example that it's working actually great, updates are so much easier and steam brought only benefits.

Well, you should be glad that there is at least some alternative. BIS could also decide to don't support OA at all, but they are supporting it even after 5 years and they gave you an good alternative. So stop being rude.

I really hate the posts about "steam sucks", "I will never install steam", "steam is evil", "oh my god I must have one more program running on the background" and so on. I will never understand why are people hating it so much.

Arma 3 is great example that it's working actually great, updates are so much easier and steam brought only benefits.

So stop being rude.

Stop telling me what to do or how to behave. I wasn't insulting anyone.

I really hate the posts about "steam sucks",

That's your problem don't read then or don't comment. My problem is Steam. Do we care about each others problem. NO!!!!! So why don't we both move along . . . shall we?

I don't owe ArmA 3 and it's not related to the topic at hand. Furthermore it's not the appropriate thread to start a new Steam discussion

Thanks for acknowledging my right to have my own opinion although it might be different than yours.

Thank you . . . have a nice day.

cheers

Well, you should be glad that there is at least some alternative. BIS could also decide to don't support OA at all, but they are supporting it even after 5 years and they gave you an good alternative.

This is true, but without big loyal gamers basis, without which BIS (not BISim) would disappeared after only one published game.

Read my signature :bounce3:

Well, you should be glad that there is at least some alternative. BIS could also decide to don't support OA at all, but they are supporting it even after 5 years and they gave you an good alternative. So stop being rude
I hope so because it's just 2 years since that last DLC was released (which got fixed only in beta patches so far) the main anger issue hereby is that they are delaying the 1.63 ptch for two years now. 1.63 is in beta almost another game compared to 1.62.

Uhhh I select the beta for Arma 2 OA in steam but it gives me 112555. What's going on?

Edit: nevermind it gives me 124879

Edited by Emton

Hi, as of this build you have completely removed the old query protocol there was for getting server info, and have replaced it with Steam Server Query (developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Server_queries).

As a maintainer of a Server Browser/Launcher, this means I've had to update it to use the new protocol.

That's fine, but I've ran into some issues:

In Server Info data block:

1. The server name is cut off after 63 characters (64 including null terminator). As some servers have long names and they are parsed for rule information (3dp on/off, etc), this is a big problem.

2. The version appears as 1.63.124802, i assume this is currentVersion/gamever in the old scheme ?

In Server Tags string:

I get something like

bt,​r163,​n124802,​s1,​i2,​mf,​lf,​vt,​dt,​tcoop,​g65545,​c-16-56,​pw,

Any way to get an explanation of all possible tags here ? I assume bt means that battleye is on (old sv_battleye ?), t is the game mode, what are the possible game modes ? r163 and n124802 form a version number (is this requiredVersion now?), pw might mean passworded but this server is actually NOT passworded, so I'm confused about that. what is s and i ?

In Server Rules key/value collection i get things like hash, modNames, modHashes, timeLeft, param0, param1, sigNames

If it is not possible to remove 63 character server name limit in the info data block, is it possible to add the full server name as a value here ? That would be a nice workaround.

Edited by rajkosto

I bought my arma 2 and arma operation arrowhead on amazon digital download how can I get the the new update with steam will this merge with steam or do have to buy steam arma series...turning to arma 2 because arma 3 is buggy mess and fps issues are really bad.

I bought my arma 2 and arma operation arrowhead on amazon digital download how can I get the the new update with steam will this merge with steam or do have to buy steam arma series...turning to arma 2 because arma 3 is buggy mess and fps issues are really bad.

no need to buy it on steam again!

guess the easiest way is to activate your game on steam:

1) install and start steam client

2) in steam client: Games -> Activate a Product on Steam -> Next -> Agree to License -> enter your serial

3) download arma2 via steam

4) start arma2 once to let steam complete the installation (battleye, directx, registry, ...)

5) download arma2 OA via steam

6) start arma2 OA once to let steam complete the installation (again: battleye, directx, registry, ...)

note: steam creates two seperate folders for
arma2
and
arma2 OA
! not sure if this is required, but there a a lot of postings regarding the requirement of merging the two installations.

so i copied the
AddOns
folder from
arma2
into the
arma2 OA
folder as this seems to be the only part of
arma2
which is not already found in
arma2 OA
. all other files found in both folders will use the files coming with arma2 OA anyway ...

7) finally install the latest beta patch for arma2 OA. i used steamcmd for this, but i guess you can also do this by rightclicking on arma2 OA under your games library and select beta under properties. i simply did not find the properties -> beta tab when i installed the game. stumbled over this later ...

would be interested if the merging of the two installations is actually required AND if copying the AddOns folder of arma2 into the arma2 OA folder is the correct way to do this? may be dwarden can confirm this?

another note (somehow off topic): i understand why bi choose the route to move to steam after gamespy closed down - guess they had no choice here. anyway, i bought my game as retail dvd and used to install it locally. even ran my own dayz server and modified it at my own including writing new functions for hive.dll! to install the game via steam was a real pita! still working on bringing my server back online ...

had no idea how simple things can be made complicated like that. steam is able to do this! don't get me wrong: i'm in the it business for decades and program in various languages, but using steam was a new "experience" to me. i can fully understand why people are not willing to move over to steam and prefer to quit playing arma2/dayz for this reason ...

no need to buy it on steam again!

guess the easiest way is to activate your game on steam:

1) install and start steam client

2) in steam client: Games -> Activate a Product on Steam -> Next -> Agree to License -> enter your serial

3) download arma2 via steam

4) start arma2 once to let steam complete the installation (battleye, directx, registry, ...)

5) download arma2 OA via steam

6) start arma2 OA once to let steam complete the installation (again: battleye, directx, registry, ...)

note: steam creates two seperate folders for
arma2
and
arma2 OA
! not sure if this is required, but there a a lot of postings regarding the requirement of merging the two installations.

so i copied the
AddOns
folder from
arma2
into the
arma2 OA
folder as this seems to be the only part of
arma2
which is not already found in
arma2 OA
. all other files found in both folders will use the files coming with arma2 OA anyway ...

7) finally install the latest beta patch for arma2 OA. i used steamcmd for this, but i guess you can also do this by rightclicking on arma2 OA under your games library and select beta under properties. i simply did not find the properties -> beta tab when i installed the game. stumbled over this later ...

would be interested if the merging of the two installations is actually required AND if copying the AddOns folder of arma2 into the arma2 OA folder is the correct way to do this? may be dwarden can confirm this?

another note (somehow off topic): i understand why bi choose the route to move to steam after gamespy closed down - guess they had no choice here. anyway, i bought my game as retail dvd and used to install it locally. even ran my own dayz server and modified it at my own including writing new functions for hive.dll! to install the game via steam was a real pita! still working on bringing my server back online ...

had no idea how simple things can be made complicated like that. steam is able to do this! don't get me wrong: i'm in the it business for decades and program in various languages, but using steam was a new "experience" to me. i can fully understand why people are not willing to move over to steam and prefer to quit playing arma2/dayz for this reason ...

You can absolutely copy over your mod folders. Be careful if you are copying over your hive instillation (or anything that relies on external .DLL files) you'll need to copy over the required .DLL files too so it may just be best to install the hive fresh so you don't mess up. Your settings for the server can be used as well but will need to be modified to use the steam queries instead of gamespy queries. https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/STEAMWORKSquery

You can absolutely copy over your mod folders. Be careful if you are copying over your hive instillation (or anything that relies on external .DLL files) you'll need to copy over the required .DLL files too so it may just be best to install the hive fresh so you don't mess up. Your settings for the server can be used as well but will need to be modified to use the steam queries instead of gamespy queries. https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/STEAMWORKSquery

i think i know how to merge my dayz files into the steam installation! the question is about how to merge arma2 and arma2 OA itself!

in the past, when installing the game from retail dvds, the installation of arma2 OA defaults to install arma2 OA files in the same directory as arma2 was already installed, thus overwriting all files and directories already located in the arma2 directory but coming also with arma2 OA - may be in an updated version.

the only difference between arma2 and arma2 OA is this AddOns folder located in the arma2 directory which is not coming with arma2 OA, thus untouched by the arma2 OA installer! so my assumption was to just copy this AddOns folder located in the steam arma2 directory over to the steam arma2 OA directory to give me the same result as the installation from retail dvds had produced previously.

leaving alone the question if this merge of arma2 and arma2 OA is required anyway? i still was not able to find a definite answer to this question ...

but anyway, its no big deal to copy this single directory, so i simply did it and everything looks ok.

i think i know how to merge my dayz files into the steam installation! the question is about how to merge arma2 and arma2 OA itself!

in the past, when installing the game from retail dvds, the installation of arma2 OA defaults to install arma2 OA files in the same directory as arma2 was already installed, thus overwriting all files and directories already located in the arma2 directory but coming also with arma2 OA - may be in an updated version.

the only difference between arma2 and arma2 OA is this AddOns folder located in the arma2 directory which is not coming with arma2 OA, thus untouched by the arma2 OA installer! so my assumption was to just copy this AddOns folder located in the steam arma2 directory over to the steam arma2 OA directory to give me the same result as the installation from retail dvds had produced previously.

leaving alone the question if this merge of arma2 and arma2 OA is required anyway? i still was not able to find a definite answer to this question ...

but anyway, its no big deal to copy this single directory, so i simply did it and everything looks ok.

I'm am sorry if I insulted your intelligence, but I was unsure of what you were having difficulty with.

You may either include the A2 files via "-mod=A2PATH;@modfolder" etc.

I.e. "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 2;EXPANSION\beta;EXPANSION\beta\Expansion;EXPANSION;ca"

Or you may copy the addons from A2 into your OA folder. I prefer the first method.

I'm am sorry if I insulted your intelligence, but I was unsure of what you were having difficulty with.

You may either include the A2 files via "-mod=A2PATH;@modfolder" etc.

I.e. "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 2;EXPANSION\beta;EXPANSION\beta\Expansion;EXPANSION;ca"

Or you may copy the addons from A2 into your OA folder. I prefer the first method.

no worry, didn't get it this way! no insult here!

don't like this endless mod strings, so i simply copied this single AddOns folder from arma2 over into the arma2 OA directory, start my game out of this directory and forget all the stuff in the arma2 directory.

on the other hand, beta does not exist anymore. so i guess we can safely remove all references to expansion\beta in the mod string.

anyway, is expansion required in the mod string? i missed that! just have -mod=@dayz;@hive;CA left in there! as you see, i'm talking about my server here.

server itself seems to be working: i'm able to connect to my server as long as i use LAN connection! my server can be seen in the ingame browser under steam and internet also, but when i connect using one of this options my client connects, but gets disconnected immediately! no useful info in the server.rpt. everything looks ok there!

forwarded the ports on my router like desribed at the bottom of this page:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg#Arma_2:_Operation_Arrowhead_.26_Arma_3_-_STEAM_ports_configuration

firewall is off on server and client for now. a bit stuck now. need to investigate and would appreciate any help. this move to steam is driving me nuts ...