Sign in to follow this  
tremanarch

Elite: Dangerous

Its rated '7', come Christmas day we'll have crying in the stations. :j: Can't wait to sit and watch some of the new players docking. ;)

Its the small things in life that makes our whole purpose on the planet, worthwhile. :rolleyes:

Is it possible to skip the docking sequence ???

It's fun for first 10-20 times and then it becomes boring and time consuming. Exactly the same thing as it was in X2.

It's fun for first 10-20 times and then it becomes boring and time consuming. Exactly the same thing as it was in X2.

Haven't played much ED, most of my play has been just pootling around in SP, flying through planet rings etc.

But, in the original Elite game there was a ship enhancement you could buy which was a docking computer, which freed you from the docking tyranny :)

Haven't played much ED, most of my play has been just pootling around in SP, flying through planet rings etc.

But, in the original Elite game there was a ship enhancement you could buy which was a docking computer, which freed you from the docking tyranny :)

automated docking takes ages, manual is like 5-30x faster depending on your pilot skills

X3: Terran Conflict worked great as a Freelancer successor for me. You should check it out if you haven't already.

I played X2 for ages couldn't get along with X3... Still waiting for X:Rebirth to fall to a reasonable price.

I loved the plotline in Freelancer. It was really exciting. The X plots are in contrast dull and boring and stupid.

Back to ED!

there are like 3 types of major stations and 1 outpost types and each have like 5 variant (modules and submodules related)

What about the systems? Are there nebulas and so on?

Edit

Just watched a video with one... still, the systems look kinda sterile and artificial to me... Perhaps they have a christmas sale :)

You will get used to it. It's not that bad.

Hmmm, still at $60? Was hoping it would be much cheaper. Currently enjoying Star Citizen which was cheaper but at the current time lacks any depth besides combat (which is awesome btw)

Tempted but not sure it has 'that hook'

Docking is very easy in ED and I play using a mouse a keypad.

I played the earlier beta's, earned a few million and went up through the ships, then downsized to the ship I liked the most, which was a Lakon type 6 or the Cobra III. But playing through would be much better if there was a reason, i.e. you could do something with the credits other than kitting out your ship.

Its really like a good racing game, get a car then work through some points to kit it out, tweak it etc. Simple gaming fodder.

I like ED, but until it grows there's nothing there to keep you engaged for long. Evochron Mercenary, same format done better. Space Engineers or KSP great for proper sandbox games concerning the genre of space. ED doesn't add anything special.

That said, neither will Star Citizen, its been far too hyped to live upto its release, I was told that earlier and believe its going to be true.

Arena Commander is an arcade game really, the racing is well, lets not say, its like BI with its Karts.. The rest of SC won't be out until I retire, so...:j:

I backed both, ED a little after SC, I put a few hundred or more than a few hundred into both the games in total. That was a mistake. I bought Space Engineers for £14.99 and have had the best time ever with a space game and that's without any AI presence as of yet. So there is nothing other than building or surviving to do, but its soo interesting its fun. Unlike the two mentioned.

Evochron is better at elite play, than elite itself.

Of course, Space Engineers is going infinite soon:D, PG everything, ships, asteroids, planetoids, stations, etc. Even some AI, probably rudimentary, but still both ED's and SC/AC are the same AI wise. Space Engineers isn't really about pew, pew'ing. Its much more interesting, build, survive, evolve, with other players or on your own, in a vast 'whole' world, sorry universe, where you can actually do something, ie real sandbox game.

Anyone thinking about the space genre, look around before buying ED or SC.

ED & SC (so far) are really not that good, maybe worth £20-30 or a little more, nothing major though. Learn from others mistakes :o :rolleyes:.

Buy SE, or get the free SE (no, the other one;), if you want travel), or Evochron for elite+ gaming, they are much more engaging.

But Space Engineers, for me, has been a revelation, not heavy, but interesting. Hours just fly by, I already have a 1mile long exploration ship, waiting for the big new feature their adding. Plus of course a space train with track (doesn't everyone), space stations, mining platforms, smaller trading ships, cargo container depot, fighters etc. All built with no sign of boredom anywhere. Oh.. and asteroid's galore, ones you can actually mine into and build inside..

ED/SC on the other hand, yawn...:p

Evochron serie, Jumpgate (classic), Indepedence Wars 1,2 (Edge of Chaos), Star Trek: Klingon Academy

all of them have quite some parts which I miss in Elite : Dangerous

the game 'base' is there but something is missing for the game to feel 'complete in terms of variety, depth and fun'

A friend of mine has bought Elite and he isn´t impressed. Too little content with too little to do, together with too heavy instancing. He tried to meet up with another friend and even though they were both at the same station they couldn´t see each other because of the instancing. As it turns out you are actually only together with a few people at a time. Not what he imagined this game would be. And also not really what it was advertised as. I´m glad I didn´t buy in. Now I´ll wait for SC to see if that will fullfill my space dreams :rolleyes:

Now I´ll wait for SC to see if that will fullfill my space dreams

I have no expectation that it will be much different in SC with the instancing... They have yet to proof that all their crazy ass graphics and detail is going to work on a normal gaming computer in their gigantic planned universe... They will only do it more cleverly in adding the people you know to the instances. I still have big doubts about SC if it is even going to work properly on normal hardware, or beeing that amazing world with _everything_ in it like some people want to make us believe. Money can't fix technical boundaries.

And people are still buying virtual ships for 1000s of $. Makes me wonder...

I have no expectation that it will be much different in SC with the instancing... They have yet to proof that all their crazy ass graphics and detail is going to work on a normal gaming computer in their gigantic planned universe... They will only do it more cleverly in adding the people you know to the instances. I still have big doubts about SC if it is even going to work properly on normal hardware, or beeing that amazing world with _everything_ in it like some people want to make us believe. Money can't fix technical boundaries.

And people are still buying virtual ships for 1000s of $. Makes me wonder...

Yeah I know, I think the same.

A friend of me has expressed a really interesting idea when it comes to Elite. It is fucked up by design.

People who engage in non combat activities such as trading do not like to get blown up by pirates right? So what he and the majority of other traders have been doing is to simply switch to offline mode. The NPC pirates are few and not even remotely as dangerous as a real player would be. That way the players can make money pretty much risk free. Now the Pirates can´t find anybody to rob except for NPCs and new guys. Bounty hunters don´t have that many player targets to kill because for a pirate is is pretty uninteresting to kill npcs all the time so they stop doing it.

The situation that is currently evolving is that people only go into full online mode when they are seeking to do combat with other players.

This pretty much makes the whole game really uninteresting in MP and completely takes away what is game was supposed to be about...

I'm always playing in open play and never encounter a threat by an other player. It's so easy to avoid AI who try to intercept you.

The problem right now it's the inability to share mission/bounties and fly together (it is normally coming early next year). For a multiplayer game it is quite lame.

Plus there is some frustrating stuff. Like the rare commodities, you have to sell the one you already purchase in the station that is making it before you can buy new one...

Sometimes is very hard to be in the same instance than your friend even in a system with no other player in...

This game has great potential but it was certainly way too early for a release.

I think it was a mistake to market it as an MMO.

It just means people are bringing their preconceived ideas with them, and then being disappointed because the game is doing something different.

For all its issues it is still the best game I've bought this year, and the best early access experience I've had (along with arma 3 I'll add)

So, sorry to bring this dead donkey back up (the thread that is).

But this week we got to see Pluto (NASA pics). Well I was beside myself with how realistic ED's version is/was... After all, what you see out in the ED universe, is exactly how it is out there in space. :rolleyes:

it's not same, just similar ... was explained in recent newsletter as discrepancy due to generation and timeshift (year 3300+)

it's not same

Yep, that part you got right.

I read the newsletter..

if you want to become part of group playing Elite: Dangerous

then here is the wing page : http://inara.cz/wing/294

to have some fun, to form wing and later our own minor-faction

PVE, PVP, CQC, freestyle, solo, all welcome

(note: some Arma/Jumpgate veterans took part already or will future)

Also bought it in the steam sale - must admit that its much more fun than I anticipated. As usually, I started the game without looking at any tutorial at all, but than I found the beginners youtube videos and that pretty much cleared things up for me. :)

Bought it, playing in a wing with other FUSION members  B)

^^^ Should have known there was an ulterior motive to Braben's $10 generosity...now gotta dish out another $50 for the planet landings...that basterd! Do want!!

On another note how do grown men successfully game fully mic'ed up in the family room without losing all respect from wife and kids...

# 2amClosetGamerAnoynomous

On another note how do grown men successfully game fully mic'ed up in the family room without losing all respect from wife and kids...

# 2amClosetGamerAnoynomous

^This! Started the multiplayer part with a friend yesterday and it really became noisy because we were so excited when our ships started from the station. My girlfriend could not  stop herself from making occasional remarks on my behavior...

The game has an amazing sound design, I really love it.