Sign in to follow this  
tremanarch

Elite: Dangerous

Well David Braben has faced the music on the FD forums today, and said this about if and when the servers go down, as well as answering other questions.

We have no intention of taking the servers down, but I understand what you are getting at. We plan to archive the game from time to time (ie matching client and servers and game world state), and would release such an archive if the servers were to come down. That would also address the issue of how you preserve an online game for the future, from the whole 'retro' perspective.

He had little choice after the BBC got hold of it and ran an article about the community going nuts regards no 'offline'..

Well guys let´s face it, as a dev you don´t discover something like that just a month before release. If they were serious about offline than all the systems and game mechanics they designed would have been build with that in mind. So my guess is that they knew that there won´t be an offline mode for at least half a year, most likely even longer. It also raises the question why they can´t do weekly, or monthly archives of the universe and upload it for people to download and enjoy in SP.

This announcement has really made me not buy this game until half a year, or a year after release at a much reduced price. My Internet connection likes to go dead from time to time (sometimes more than once per day) and there is nothing I can do about it (ISP is refusing to upgrade the connections on this hill), so games that require a constant internet connection are a no-go for me.

Newsletter 49 and the statement contained within regards 'offline' mode, will haunt FD (DB in particular), for quite some time.

Why not have a try of Evochron Mercenary (if you haven't already), I say this to a lot of people who like the Elite game format. It has everything in there and more. Just not quite the same graphics, but the game-play is pretty good, on the whole:).

I tried the demo in the past,not sure why but it didn't managed to suck me in.Maybe one of the reasons was that back then I was crazy with X3:Terran Conflict with my fleets and empire.:p

The Gamma version was released yesterday.

Now when you start the game, you spawn in a random system. It is hard to try to find one of your team-mate in that condition.

The Gamma version was released yesterday.

Now when you start the game, you spawn in a random system. It is hard to try to find one of your team-mate in that condition.

Something they have to look at, I think.

But so far its looking o.k. ED, should be fun to play once all the wipes stop and we can earn without fear of going back to almost zero. I certainly wish this game lots of luck, I'll enjoy it, I hope.

I am sceptical and will wait for a few months. That whole always online thing IMHO points to them trying to sell you all kinds of stuff. I need to be sure that this game isn´t only enjoyable if you throw another handfull of cash at it on top of the price you pay for purchase (something which I definately won´t do. Paying for the product should grant me full enjoyment of that product without additional fees)

They are going to rely on sales to support, via dlc and other ways, that's pretty much a certain thing, if we want to see the game supported for a long period of time..

I don't mind that, provided they are up-front with it. But the events of recent, doesn't fill me with confidence.. I know dlc's are set to be paid for (although for me as a backer, I think they're free), but I have no problem with buying extra good content. But I can see more 'charge for' items coming later, perhaps. With the excuse that, without these, the game stops being supported.

But we'll see.

They are going to rely on sales to support, via dlc and other ways, that's pretty much a certain thing, if we want to see the game supported for a long period of time..

I don't mind that, provided they are up-front with it. But the events of recent, doesn't fill me with confidence.. I know dlc's are set to be paid for (although for me as a backer, I think they're free), but I have no problem with buying extra good content. But I can see more 'charge for' items coming later, perhaps. With the excuse that, without these, the game stops being supported.

But we'll see.

Yeah, that is exactly what I mean. The threw away a lot of trust during the last two weeks. They will need to earn that back if they want any of my money. Of course they need to earn something, but there is only so much that I am willing to spend on a game, especially if I buy it at full price. And if this thing turns into a pay to win DLC fest (wich is possible considering how few ships there are at launch) then it is not worth my time.

Something they have to look at, I think.

But so far its looking o.k. ED, should be fun to play once all the wipes stop and we can earn without fear of going back to almost zero. I certainly wish this game lots of luck, I'll enjoy it, I hope.

I really hope so. I guess we will have to be patient here (until mid-december).

I worry if FD will be able to support reliable MP connection. Its taken a few hours to get in the game since the update 1.01 and once I got in, I had 5mins play out of 30mins, just kept dropping the connection.. Pretty sad at the moment, really hope they get this sorted by the 16th Dec.

Edited by ChrisB

I am usually a very strong proponent of Braben and ED but the decision to make the game 'online only' does not sit well with me.

I know they are offering refunds etc but when devs 'pull the rug out' it does not bode well for the future.

Hopefully they can successfully perform 'damage control' in this situation and get back on track.

for me the real game breaker of this game is total absence of any AI persistency ...

AI is generated on set of macro params (economy, demand, production, faction, politics, system state, population) and it resets each time 'all players' leave that area

overaggressive Instancing done WRONG ... blergh

for me the real game breaker of this game is total absence of any AI persistency ...

AI is generated on set of macro params (economy, demand, production, faction, politics, system state, population) and it resets each time 'all players' leave that area

overaggressive Instancing done WRONG ... blergh

Really? Damn, that sucks....

Really? Damn, that sucks....

Yeah, that REALLY sucks. I guess Placebo was right....too bad :(

Another reason to consider not buying is that their support system can not handle it. Unfortunately I preordered the game and I got my first response 2 weeks after asking for a refund and it was just an automated emai asking me to reconsider. And now the wait continues.

An always online game with accounts, a real money item shop, where your status can be corrupted on the server needs a much more responsive support. If it goes the full MMO route I would argue they need GMs in the game.

Its a very corporate view they have towards refunds, but its to be expected, they are a PLC. Its not the correct view we know, because content that was expected, is not going to be there. But their attitude is not surprising.

I hope they (FD) support the game, if they do, it could be great. But I feel if the reviews are bad or indifferent, then, well.

FD are practical, they won't support it if its not selling well. I think it will sell well for Christmas, so that at least helps them get further down the road. Its what happens after that, they need ongoing sales to be good, for them to bother with the content for later (dlc's).

They also need it to be a great on-line experience for players, to get groups playing together, for the servers to be very reliable. All of that is a 'must', to keep the players they do get to buy the game. But unfortunately so far, none of that is certain at the moment.

But fingers crossed, it is a good game, lacking a lot at the moment, but many games are like that, even after being out a year or more.

Just have to wait and see.

At this point I´m genuinely affraid that they are getting it out too early just to make christmas money....

At this point I´m genuinely affraid that they are getting it out too early just to make christmas money....

It will be for sure. Wings are only coming early next year (you will be able to play with 3 friends and do some cooperative stuff). They still say on the official webpage that the game is a MMO... are you kidding?

You can't be in a system with many players (you will see maybe 6 or 8 of them...). All is split into small instance.

By the way, no wipe at the launch of the game, so you can freely play.

Question for those who have the game.

It looks to me like there is only one type of station and when I watch videos from the game all of the systems kinda look the same. Is that true? Because I'm looking for a Freelancer successor for like 10 years but Freelancer looks much more diverse to me...

there are like 3 types of major stations and 1 outpost types and each have like 5 variant (modules and submodules related)

...I'm looking for a Freelancer successor for like 10 years but Freelancer looks much more diverse to me...

X3: Terran Conflict worked great as a Freelancer successor for me. You should check it out if you haven't already.