got that,and I agree with your opinion.Still,curious,are you still working on this mod?I mean will more optics add to this mod in the future?:)

Still,curious,are you still working on this mod?I mean will more optics add to this mod in the future?:)

Yes it still gets worked on when I find time, but I'm pulling my hair out over one or two other non-attachment models that I promised to do, and those get priority when I do find a rare opportunity to sit down in front of Maya for a couple of hours and abuse polygons.

I can say though that the next version will definitely include a Trijicon RMR and desert and woodland paint jobs for the 3-12x50 PMII. I also darkened the LDS textures and made the reticle numbers slightly larger in response to some good user feedback. That's all work that's basically done and dusted, but I had kind of hoped on adding a bit more content for a second release.

Things that I've started modelling the hi-polys for and want to eventually make ingame models of, include a 5-25x56 PMII and an EOTech 552.

a 25x magnification scope with your level of quality would most certainly be a treat. Patiently looking forward to it

include a 5-25x56 PMII

The scope of the new AI L115 A4 338 LM, correct Sir ?

I really like your scope and it's a very good news.:)

Just a little question da12thMonkey, how do you calculate your opticsZoom, please ?

The scope of the new AI L115 A4 338 LM, correct Sir ?

Aye (heavily WIP). Though I based that on the L115A3 rather than the A4 or whatever they're calling the AXMCs rifles that some units are getting to play with now.

Just a little question da12thMonkey, how do you calculate your opticsZoom, please ?

I actually wrote at some length about how I figure that out, here.

Basically I use a FOV value of 0.375 or 0.3712 as the 1x unity vision value, then divide that by whatever the scope's magnification factor is.

I actually wrote at some length about how I figure that out, here.

Basically I use a FOV value of 0.375 or 0.3712 as the 1x unity vision value, then divide that by whatever the scope's magnification factor is.

It's really a insoluble problem ... I did some calculations and speculations about that a few days ago

and i think that 0.75 is just a compromise found by BI for a good game-play and 0,375 is just 0.75/2, that's all.

Inevitably, we don't have the same conclusion, if you want have a look :

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?181324-Advanced-Ballistics-(WIP)&p=2856446&viewfull=1#post2856446

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?181324-Advanced-Ballistics-(WIP)&p=2860021&viewfull=1#post2860021

Anyway, your WIP is very promising, impatient to play with it.

My apologies for my bad english, best regards.:)

The magnification values written in the info on BIS' scopes is a load of crap - they don't match any actual ingame performance characteristics that the scopes have. So using them as a point of reference is a bit of a waste of time.

If you want to test, take screenshots of your player looking at the same object in Arma 3 when sighted and unsighted (up to you which unsighted FOV level you use to represent 1x, but like I said, I always used the "zoomed in" narrow FOV setting). Then in photoshop or something, measure how many pixels tall that object is within each of the screenshots. Divide the height of the object in the optics view screenshot by the heigh of the object in your unsighted screenshot and it will give you an actual magnification factor.

The above is exactly what I did to determine that objects observed using an optic that has opticsZoom set to 0.3712, are the same size as objects when you look at them unsighted using the narrow FOV.

Therefore I determined that value of 0.3712 to represent 1x magnification and so far as subsequent tests of this nature went: In terms of the number of pixels representing an object's height, my LDS made objects 4x larger than when unsighted, and the PMII made them 3, 6, 9 and 12 times larger, with an object in the max zoom level (12x) that is 4x larger than it is in the minimum zoom level (3x). All that was simply calculated by dividing the above FOV value by the desired magnification factor for the real life sight.

Scaling the reticle to make 1mil = 1m at 1000m is a different task entirely - I use the "User Texture (1m)" object in the editor (\Empty\Objects (Helpers)\User Texture (1m)) and place it 1000m away from my character. E.g use the init/trigger on the object:

this setObjectTexture [0,'#(argb,8,8,3)color(1,0,0,1)']; this setPos [(getPos player select 0), (getPos player select 1)+1000, (getPos player select 2)+1.5];

Take a screenshot of it through the optics and compare the size of 1m @ 1000m, to the 1mil marks on the scope reticle (can divide one by the other to get a scale factor). Then scale the reticle in ObjectBuilder or in the texture file until the two values match.

Once you get it right for one of your scope's magnification levels you can simply apply relative scale factors to the opticsZoom values and reticle in the modelOptics .p3d for the other magnification values in order to get them to scale constantly across all zoom levels.

I suspect BIS made their reticles first using reference images from the web and filling the screen modelOptics aperture with the image, then adjusted the magnification/FOV values until the reticle matched ingame scales. Rather than doing it the other way around and getting the magnification value accurate first.

Edited by da12thMonkey

Very useful information which I, oddly enough, found myself looking for just a couple of days ago (to no avail).

You didn't happen to do the same calculation (where you arrived at 0.3712) for the default 'wide' FOV did you? Is it perhaps 0.7424 rather than 0.75?

The magnification values written in the info on BIS' scopes is a load of crap - they don't match any actual ingame performance characteristics that the scopes have. So using them as a point of reference is a bit of a waste of time.

If you want to test, take screenshots of your player looking at the same object in Arma 3 when sighted and unsighted (up to you which unsighted FOV level you use to represent 1x, but like I said, I always used the "zoomed in" narrow FOV setting). Then in photoshop or something, measure how many pixels tall that object is within each of the screenshots. Divide the height of the object in the optics view screenshot by the heigh of the object in your unsighted screenshot and it will give you an actual magnification factor.

The above is exactly what I did to determine that objects observed using an optic that has opticsZoom set to 0.3712, are the same size as objects when you look at them unsighted using the narrow FOV.

It's true that some BIS scopes actual magnification vary from the claimed magnification given in the game (eg the RCO sights are mean to be 10x but are actually around ~6.8x). However almost all BIS scopes magnifications are now relative to 0.75, which is the default soldier field of view. Zoomed in (with or without iron sights) view FOV = 0.375 (== 2x magnification). These are the config values the game uses, so no need to count pixels.

weapon config FOV = 0.75 / magnification

It's true that some BIS scopes actual magnification vary from the claimed magnification given in the game (eg the RCO sights are mean to be 10x but are actually around ~6.8x). However almost all BIS scopes magnifications are now relative to 0.75, which is the default soldier field of view. Zoomed in (with or without iron sights) view FOV = 0.375 (== 2x magnification). These are the config values the game uses, so no need to count pixels.

So if it's 6.8x relative to an FOV of 0.75, that means it's 3.4x relative to an FOV of 0.375....

3.4x seems more likely for what's intended it to be given the category of optics with a ~30mm objective lens that the RCO, ARCO etc. represent. The real-life versions of the RCO and ARCO are 4x after all, and you do get sights like the C79/M145 that are exactly 3.4x.

Magnified Optics for individual service rifles across the world are generally in the region of 3x to 4x magnification. Any higher than that, you start finding target acquisition times suffer due to limitations of the narrow FOV of high-magnification optics. You need to make bigger and bigger objective lenses to counteract the narrowing FOV as you increase the magnification, and that just adds more weight and bulk to the scope. Hence >6x magnification sights are normally the domain of marksman's optics. And if Arma 3's scopes are 6.8x they have an unrealistically large FOV visible through the eyepiece - i.e when the scope aperture covers nearly the entire vertical FOV distance of the monitor like most scopes in Arma 3 do.

A 0.110rad/6.34º field of view (= 0.75/6.8) for a scope over 6x magnification is huuuuge even compared to real-life 6x scopes with a 50mm lens. Wheras a 0.110rad FOV is actually pretty close to the real FOV of the RCO - 10.6m FOV @ 100m = 0.106 radians.

This is why I still believe the narrow FOV view when unsighted is the most consistant representation of 1x human eyesight in the game, and why I use it as the baseline value for which scope magnification/FOVs are calculated.

Edited by da12thMonkey

We made sure we generated a new private and public key when the A3 tools were released on Steam (hence why it's rkslA3.bikey not the rksl.bikey we had for the Arma 2 addons).

So no, it seems unlikely that that will be the cause unless BIS have significantly changed the Arma 3 version of DSCreateKey tool since it was released. And if they did, I'd imagine the community would be experiencing problems with a lot more addons that have keys generated between the November 2013 (when the tools were released) and May 31st 2014 (the date we created our private+public key pair)

As Rock said previously ITT:

I've no problem generating another key I'd just like to see whats actually causing the error. I can't believe its only going to affect just our key.

Unless we know for certain it's something wrong with the key and not the game itself, we cannot guarantee that making a new one and re-signing the addon will fix it for everybody, so it'll be a waste of time.

Edited by da12thMonkey

following too the key question

question:

do you use the development branch of arma 3 tools to sign your addons ? (did not even know that there exists a development branch of arma 3 tools :p)

problem recognized !:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?167618-RH-M4-M16-pack&p=2873241&viewfull=1#post2873241

Edited by maquez

AccPackLogo_V1.png

I decided to release an updated version of this today, since it's Christmas (or near enough that there's a risk I'll be too drunk or hungover to do it later). It doesn't have as much stuff as I had originally planned on including in v.2.00 but I haven't been able to finish all the models I was working on, and it seems a bit of a shame to continue sitting on the improvements I made rather a long time ago.

The pack now contains four optical sights:

An additional (optional) file is included to allow attaching the RMR handgun variant to the game's 4-Five pistol - RKSL_RMR_4Five.pbo

V2_promo_Tn.jpg

Summary of changes in v.2.00

• New optic attachments: 5-25×56 PM II and RMR
  • Collimator sights updated with BIS' latest shader technology (from Marksmen DLC)
  • Reconfigured FOV/magnification values and reticle sizes according to the new standard set by BIS
  • Mod.cpp and class cfgMods add custom logos to help find our attachments in the editor and virtual arsenal (compulsory RKSL_attachments_core.pbo)
  • Multiple colour variants for all optics
  • Backup RMR sight for the 3-12×50 PM II
  • Darker textures for the LDS and improved specular map
  • Improved reticle/crosshair graphics

You will find full changelogs, more pictures and most importantly; the download link in the first post of this thread.

F.A.Q:

"Will you upload it to Steam Workshop?"
No, the workshop EULA doesn't satisfy me completely at this time, so I'd rather not.
"Can I upload it to the Steam Workshop myself?"
Please don't. It's in the EULA that Valve do not permit you to upload content that is not your intellectual property, so it will have to be removed
"Can I use this addon on my monetised server?"
No.
"Will you make ...?"
Extremely unlikely unless you read my mind and know what I plan to make already. However, if I am planning to make it, I probably won't say so because I may not finish it, and then you'll get all disappointed. I certainly don't take requests for things to model - at most I can take in to account suggestions for changes to my existing work.

Anyway, have fun and enjoy the Christmas period.

da12th

• Like 16

Forgot to mention I also uploaded a new set of plugins for adding ACE3 features to the scopes:

http://da12thmonkey.rkslstudios.info/A3/Files/RKSL/@RKSL_attachments_ACEplugins.7z

ACE3 compatibility wont be something I strive for since I hardly ever use it, and don't keep track of the various features and changes they make. But I did produce those little config addons as an experiment a while back, and I guess as an example people can use on how to add those features to 3rd party addons.

Basically there's one addon for the LDS that reconfigures the sight to use their 2D animated optics feature instead of the regular 2D optics, and also adds two additional LDS variants that use the ACE PiP system for optics. Then there are also addons for each of the Schmidt & Bender scopes, which add realistic click values for sight adjustment based on the real-world spec for the particular models I have made:

Schmidt & Bender 3-12×50 PMII:

• Elevation adjustment range    -    -1-12 mils in 0.1 mil clicks
  • Windage adjustment range     -    +/- 6 mils in 0.1 mil clicks

Schmidt & Bender 5-25×56 PMII:

• Elevation adjustment range    -    0-26 mils in 0.1 mil clicks
  • Windage adjustment range     -    +/- 6 mils in 0.1 mil clicks

Beautiful ! The S&B are just beautiful ! 

Your P3L P reticles are calibrated perfectly and their illumination in the 5-25 is simply ingenious. 

French Air special forces use the 5-25 on the 12.7 PGM with the P4L fein reticle, it's really a great addition. 

A nice present, many thanks. :)

• Like 1

I owe Rock many thanks for sorting out the RKSL hosting more properly than my scrappy efforts this morning - I kind of sprung this release on everyone before fully familiarising myself with the intricacies of the fine new setup that Rock has been working on for RKSL's web presence. I'll "up" the addon's online presentation in the next few days when I have more time, and try to do the work he's been doing with the website/forums some justice.

Your P3L P reticles are calibrated perfectly and their illumination in the 5-25 is simply ingenious.

I actually forgot I'd left the reticle illumination in - it was something that I was kind of just experimenting with, and considered taking out before release since it's not consistent with the control scheme I had set up to illuminate the LDS reticle (that uses a fake zoom level to switch to the illuminated crosshair instead of the mode switch we have on the 5-25×56 PMII) and it's a bit of a bummer that turning on/off illumination resets magnification to the init 5× setting.
But glad you like it - it'll stay now.

And yes, I'm very pleased with how the updated mildot reticles turned out - I did my best to make the textures as precise as I could after finding all the measurements for the fine reticle online, and to calibrate their scale at each ingame magnification level so that they worked meaningfully. Thanks for the appreciation :D

The hosting on withSix was also (self) updated to the latest version this morning, in case anyone was waiting for a PWS-update specifically before trying the addon and missed it in the feed.

Ed:- Armaholic mirror is also updated

• Like 1

Thanks da12thMonkey for the update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Im loving the S&B's Da12th!

Shame there's no L115's out there that match your amazing textures. The Black one is about the only one that looks good on anything thats out currently and even then the quality of the texture makes the weapon it is on look shit lol.