Sign in to follow this  
dr. hladik

Game spy end - what will we do?

Non-Steam user can activate their Arma 2 and OA on Steam - see http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175463-End-of-Gamespy&p=2703996#post2703996

Steamworks matchmaking did replace the Gamespy in OA so it would not make much sense to release a non-steam patch.

Thanks for confirming at least that 1.62 patch was the last patch that we non steam users will ever get . . . at least this is some clear stating info.

Have a nice day.

cheers

Steamworks matchmaking did replace the Gamespy in OA so it would not make much sense to release a non-steam patch. :confused:

There are still old clans who run servers and can use "connect directly via IP" and don't want to have/install Steam. This is very insulting and rude if this is official BIS statement :386:

There are still old clans who run servers and can use "connect directly via IP" and don't want to have/install Steam. This is very insulting and rude if this is official BIS statement :386:

More official than the statement above. It comes from the executive producer of BIS. Non steam users are not of concern to them and in the end man it's just a game it's not the end of the world. I had hopes until armA 2 was released that they would fix some long standing issues dating back to OFP times. I was wrong they will never fix it or maybe they can't. I don't know and for being honest I don't care anymore. It was nice as long as it lasted.

cheers

More official than the statement above. It comes from the executive producer of BIS. Non steam users are not of concern to them and in the end man it's just a game it's not the end of the world. I had hopes until armA 2 was released that they would fix some long standing issues dating back to OFP times. I was wrong they will never fix it or maybe they can't. I don't know and for being honest I don't care anymore. It was nice as long as it lasted.

cheers

Not is not the end of the world but with this approach, as in arma 1, will again divide the MP community into two groups :ups:

Non-Steam user can activate their Arma 2 and OA on Steam - see http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175463-End-of-Gamespy&p=2703996#post2703996

Steamworks matchmaking did replace the Gamespy in OA so it would not make much sense to release a non-steam patch.

Is there an easy way to take an EXISTING install into steam then, cos all its doing is asking to install new, but I already have that from years ago!

(along with lots of related development files that would have to change if I move the install)

Edited by CBFASI
extra

Can I just ask, why is BAF and PMC now showing in Steam Library as separate games while ACR is shown as DLC for OA?

Arma 2

Arma 2: British Armed Forces

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Beta (Obsolete) :confused:

Arma 2: Private Military Company

Because BAF and PMC uses the old method for DLC, only ACR was using the new one under OA. On the other end, would be good to make it Obsolete as OA Beta and integrate it under OA as ACR.

Is there an easy way to take an EXISTING install into steam then, cos all its doing is asking to install new, but I already have that from years ago!

(along with lots of related development files that would have to change if I move the install)

Any answers to this?

Any answers to this?

Well, yes. What I did was to keep a copy of the old retail installation files. I then let Steam complete a new install. Once it had finished, I ran all the games once to activate them ... A2, then A2OA, then the DLC's.

When I was happy they all ran OK, I then copied over all my old mod files, scripts and stuff to the same locations in the new Steam install.

Let's face it, with ArmA 2 the only thing normally "installed" are the games themselves. Mods, scripts and "development" files are almost always just files copied into folders. It's not so hard to put them to the right places with a bit of patience and effort.

Uninstalled ArmA1-2-3 series I've supported since 2002 with OFP. The death of ArmA is upon us.

Well, yes. What I did was to keep a copy of the old retail installation files. I then let Steam complete a new install. Once it had finished, I ran all the games once to activate them ... A2, then A2OA, then the DLC's.

When I was happy they all ran OK, I then copied over all my old mod files, scripts and stuff to the same locations in the new Steam install.

Let's face it, with ArmA 2 the only thing normally "installed" are the games themselves. Mods, scripts and "development" files are almost always just files copied into folders. It's not so hard to put them to the right places with a bit of patience and effort.

Thanks for the reply, but what i'm asking is, is there any way to move the games installation files over to a Steam folder. I really don't want to have to download the game over again.

I suppose you could try moving everything into "Steam\SteamApps\Common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead" and then install the game. It will probably take quite long time checking files but it won't have to download all the .pbo files which are 90% of the game.

Uninstalled ArmA1-2-3 series I've supported since 2002 with OFP. The death of ArmA is upon us.

I think you are right! Our dedicated server now, after updating to 1.63 is now stuck on waiting for host with sounds running in the background, & player after player with the DLC of ACR & addons etc are having problems of some sort or other. RIP ArmA2:butbut:

Did you setup Steamports for your Dedi? because its not the same as befor anymore... steam needs a steamport and a steamquary port.. (this also caused problems for us

and for ACR either make sure you don't have any CZ units in the missions or add ACR to the mod list for the server

Do you have any further info for Steamport name/numbers? :confused:

Now up & running but found we have to add BAF & PMC & ACR to ArmA2Launcher as addons? Also BattleEye dont start as default anymore??

Edited by jgaz-uk

Make entries for the new Steam ports in server.cfg

steamPort = 8766; //default 8766, need unique port for each server instance on box

steamQueryPort = 27016; //default 27016, need unique port for each server instance on box

Introducing a privilege escalation vulnerability by adding a 3rd party dependency provides a good argument for not making it mandatory. Direct IP connection would work fine for those who made a conscious choice to avoid Steam.

Regards,

Sander

Ok got it working, as far as copied all the mods etc over to the folders under my username, (no longer in the arma2 folders). Not worked out why I cannot connect to a friend or host a mission now...

Ding-dong the corpse is dead? Perhaps somebody finally laid the ghost of GameSpy to rest.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

X:\Users\User>ping arma2oapc.master.gamespy.com

Pinging arma2oapc.master.gamespy.com [69.10.30.248] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 69.10.30.248:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

X:\Users\User>

I think that there need to be a fix for the private servers. they are not working at all and that really suck IMO