Sign in to follow this  
FrankManic

Female character models

This thread is about character models, and the OP specifically asked for it not to turn into a circular argument about the rights and wrongs of female soldiers.

So if you can't replace the words "women" or "female soldiers" in your post with the words "character models" you are probably off topic.

OP have you seen Zeealex's mod WIP?

I was not aware. That is pretty cool. : )

I think it is a much needed addition to Arma. Female Units I mean, As many Arma players and realism unit members are female.

I think it is a much needed addition to Arma. Female Units I mean, As many Arma players and realism unit members are female.
Many? Yeah, i highly doubt that.

"Many" could mean anything from 100 to 10000, so let's not start an argument there. That aside, the amount of female players should not be a deciding factor in the choice to include females in a video game. It's simply a matter of a believable setting.

Apologies for that rather generic post. In truth i simply needed 1 post in order to send a message, I'm not a very social person I'm only interested in making mods not discussing them but the forum rules being what they are i had to have a post before i could send a message and so I just replied to the first thread I could click on.

Again I apologize.

examples of my mod making:

Abrams tank Interiors

LCAC

Apologies for that rather generic post. In truth i simply needed 1 post in order to send a message, I'm not a very social person I'm only interested in making mods not discussing them but the forum rules being what they are i had to have a post before i could send a message and so I just replied to the first thread I could click on.

Again I apologize.

Abrams tank Interiors

LCAC

I know its off topic but you better make a WIP thread, I want to be able to track every progress update you have on these two addons, especially the M1A2.

Edited by NodUnit

Again I apologize.

Abrams tank Interiors

LCAC

that's amazing... :yay:

I know its off topic but you better make a WIP thread, I want to be able to track every progress update you have on these two addons, especially the M1A2.

agreed! man. that actually makes me want to play with tanks again.

How do you think soldiers react to seeing dead women and children laying by the side of the road, something that wasn't an entirely uncommon sight during the invasion of Iraq? How do you exlain the over 800,000 women who served in the Soviet Army during WWII?

We really don't need to be having an argument about whether it's realistic for women to be portrayed in Arma 3. It is.

front line infantry? nope most of them were nurses, radio operators in HQ, typewriters in HQ, spies, pilots and snipers

no matter how trained woman is she is no match fоr trained man on front line, she will only causes problems

Edited by CrazyBaron

no matter how trained woman is she is no match fоr trained man on front line, she will only causes problems

Thank you for picking up the discussion with a great post like this.

Any woman no matter how trained or physically fit is no match for a trained man. Huh. She will only cause problems. Gosh. I never knew. Tell me more.

• Like 1

front line infantry? nope most of them were nurses, radio operators in HQ, typewriters in HQ, spies, pilots and snipers

Do go on.

I bought ArmA 3 a few days ago and I really enjoy the game, but as a woman I'm really frustrated in not having female models :mad: I am really looking forward in any new models and content regarding this!

Sincerely a frustrated woman :rolleyes:

Thank you for picking up the discussion with a great post like this.

Any woman no matter how trained or physically fit is no match for a trained man. Huh. She will only cause problems. Gosh. I never knew. Tell me more.

You know they have lower physical requirements for women in the military, right? It's a simple fact that women are less physically capable than men, which is why they don't compete with each other in sports. If you're interested to know more about the impacts of active frontline duty on female personel, you should look up USMC Capt. Katie Petronio who wrote an article about it and went on CNN to talk about it.

So if women models were introduced... the effects of the new stamina system would have to be even more harsh for them than it already is for male character models :p

In any case in real life a very small percentage of frontline infantry personel in the US are women (something like 1 or 2%), the realism of the game is hardly going to be impacted if they're not available. Plus I'd rather not have a reason for the debate to be brought up more than it has to be, because judging by the responses in this thread it's a hot topic that is probably best avoided.

On top of that you have to consider how much work would have to be put into adding female models to the game. You can't just take the male clothes and slap them on the female model, you're going to have to make female versions of all the uniforms and vests so that they appear properly, plus all new animations, all new faces, all new voices. Combine that with the fact that, realistically, it'd probably only be the NATO army that would even have female soldiers at all. CSAT forces are Iranian, so they're sure as hell not going to have female soldiers, and there's no reason to expect the AAF to have female soldiers. Its an awful lot of work... all to accomplish nothing but adding trollbait to the game and start arguments among players and communities.

No other games in the Arma series have had female soldier models. Female civilians I'm fine with, wouldn't be controversial, and they'd be less work to implement.

Biggest work:

Different size and shape of breast + creating bras

(Just kidding :p)

You know they have lower physical requirements for women in the military, right? It's a simple fact that women are less physically capable than men, which is why they don't compete with each other in sports. If you're interested to know more about the impacts of active frontline duty on female personel, you should look up USMC Capt. Katie Petronio who wrote an article about it and went on CNN to talk about it.

Try reading what I quoted more carefully. I'm not saying women on average are just as combat effective as men. I'm saying it's ridiculous to say the most physically fit and trained women out there are no match for any trained man. That is what is absolute bullshit.

It's even more ridiculous when you consider that we're not talking about wrestling here, or hand to hand combat. Being a good marksman does not require the strength advantage that men have. Even a weak, poorly trained woman is a match for a highly trained man, if she has a rifle.

Cool skimpy armour mods for Arma3 cant wait

A lot of work on their end but your right there is a lack of female, I agree for it to be put in.

Why doesn't anyone just ignore the whole argument about women in the military and just focus on the fact that ArmA, supposedly the most realistic milsim we can get our hands on, is missing an entire half of the human race. I mean, sure, have your own reasons or reservations about the role of women in the military, but the lack of female models for ANY role is just glaring.

I mean, come on, even COD includes them. Sure, they're pandering to audiences, but that's beside the point. It isn't as if the voice acting in this game is stellar, either.

Has there ever been any response at all from BI what makes adding female character models to Arma3 so hard? I mea, even DayZ has female character models. Is the new engine just not suited to simulate the female body? ;) Because this is such a much requested feature and appears to be the easiest to actually achieve by putting a couple of hours of work into it. Maybe there will be a "women DLC" some day?

Come on BI, you can do it. Just give us some civillian women for a start and add in female soldiers/voices later...

Bloody hell.

Even Electronic Arts is more progressive and sensible than half the people on this board. This is not primarily about "wut is real" but acknowledging that half the potential playerbase does not have nuts. There are women playing this game, they are being left out. Making different stamina models is bollocks because without credible data it would just end up as a massive dog-chasing-own-tail argument. Both run the same stamina model, end of story. Women ending up in frontline infantry would end up there for a reason, and even in men there would be wildly disparaging performance "stats". This is not and should not implemented also!

BI stated that the reason for not having female character models ingame was a decision made because of time and resource restraints.

Models are not the point here, I think, but the voice work. The amount of recording material necessary is massive, but still I think that it would be well worth the effort to include at least four female voices at some point (US English, UK English, Altian English and Farsi.). The Iranians also only have three voices and faces total so far, so that balances. All that is necessary is to provide representation.

Edit: Also I am rash. I apologize.... Standing by my point though.

Edited by InstaGoat

I personally don't care too much about seeing female soldiers in the game, though I would like to see female (and children, young adults, etc.) civilians. It breaks the immersion to only see men on the island of Altis and Stratis. Sort of like the alien invasion that took away all the furniture from the buildings.

Edited by l337acc

Why doesn't anyone just ignore the whole argument about women in the military and just focus on the fact that ArmA, supposedly the most realistic milsim we can get our hands on, is missing an entire half of the human race. I mean, sure, have your own reasons or reservations about the role of women in the military, but the lack of female models for ANY role is just glaring.

This, it's 2014 for gods sake. Unless the plot of your story is that you're on some sort of all-men science experiment island, there's no reason for this, esp in a game where you now have what is basically a 'character creator.'

It is 2014, and women are already growing in both active military duty and front line units. Hell by the time 2033+ hits, you would expect kerry to be female instead. I think if BI would be kind enough to at least give us the base female model to work with. I'm sure we could get plenty of free voice actors to give them proper voices.

A game without tits it's like a sky without stars.

No but seriously, Who cares if in 2033 there will be female soldiers, who cares if today we already have them!

It's just makes no sense make a sandbox open world game which include also civilian faction without adding females characters !!