Sign in to follow this  
mr burns

MRB - ArmA 3 - Kartinator

Yes, BI has made all DLC content available for free in a way, but you have to pay for unrestricted access to it. Even if it's easy to overcome those restrictions through coding, if you do that you are STEALING.

Mr Burns, you say that you think this addon is OK because BI must have known someone would try it. That's like saying that credit card fraud isn't wrong because it's so easy to steal people's credit information and take their money. Just because it's easy to steal doesn't make it right. Whatever your justification is for creating this addon, stealing is wrong.

To the rest of the community, those of us who have been a part of this community for many years have a responsibility to continue to make it better and make it grow. We always say, "Thanks BI for creating this great situation where people can modify your game and offer addons for others to enjoy for free." But look at other games. They don't give their code away for free because of things like this. Once you start misusing the developer tools for personal financial gain, the whole party ends. We all have a responsibility to be honorable people, to set an example for the younger players, and to continue to build a community of honesty and good will.

BI is trying something new with this new method of distributing downloadable content. It's in the trial phase. What we do now will determine what they do with the remaining content and with Arma 4 and 5. Will they release new tools for modifying ebo files? Maybe they won't now.

We all have a responsibility to continue to make this community grow. That includes doing the right thing in the face of easily doing the wrong thing.

Edited by Feint
soapboxing

Mr Burns, you say that you think this addon is OK because BI must have known someone would try it. That's like saying that credit card fraud isn't wrong because it's so easy to steal people's credit information and take their money. Just because it's easy to steal doesn't make it right.

Oh come on!

How can i be stealing something BI already gave everybody for free?

Do you hear yourself? Credit card fraud .....

They gave out restricted access to something that you have to pay for. And you created an addon that disables some of those restrictions.

Well you can't really enjoy it if you can't get in it.

saying that, i have bought every A2 DLC. I also bought the Czech DLC which was great looking and played great. Problem is I never had a chance to ever play it, main reason being they never added a light version. Without that light version, no one used or implemented the DLC. Karts was a great way to show off the new DLC system, The DLC system is also why I won't purchase any A3 DLC. Very few mission makers will use the new content, Why? Well, just as the Czech DLC, its unusable. I'm fine with having notification and such, but when you make the content available to everyone but completely unusable that's how you lose some supporters(and dolla).

you do realise that there are other things happening when you use it for too long, right?
I think that this mod has been allowed to remain because, as the OP specifies, it doesn't do anything about them...
None of the "non-buyer-features" other than the get-in mechanic are being changed by this addon.

All UI Alerts/Vignettes, Mission Cooldowns/Restrictions, or other features non-buyers might encounter are left intact.

That, and it operates along the very method that George_ said was intentionally left in, "script functionality so they can be used e.g. in mission scripts."

Well you can't really enjoy it if you can't get in it.

saying that, i have bought every A2 DLC. I also bought the Czech DLC which was great looking and played great. Problem is I never had a chance to ever play it, main reason being they never added a light version. Without that light version, no one used or implemented the DLC. Karts was a great way to show off the new DLC system, The DLC system is also why I won't purchase any A3 DLC. Very few mission makers will use the new content, Why? Well, just as the Czech DLC, its unusable. I'm fine with having notification and such, but when you make the content available to everyone but completely unusable that's how you lose some supporters(and dolla).

Sorry for being off topic but:

Wrong, they did bring a Lite Version, you just have to download it separately from the official website

you are right, I did see it awhile after release. I still never joined a server where any of the ACR assets were available.

That's probably because certain ACR assets were horribly buggy and never fixed.

So this means that if a player stumbles upon any DLC vehicle while playing MP magic stops him from entering?

I'm sorry but this is plain stupid and defeats the purpose of any "Light DLC". I always had thought BIS made the DLCs so users could enjoy FULL compability in MP minus the better graphics and sp missions.

Although I don't play or mod ArmA these days anymore, thanks for the addon Burns.

I'm sorry but this is plain stupid and defeats the purpose of any "Light DLC". I always had thought BIS made the DLCs so users could enjoy FULL compability in MP minus the better graphics and sp missions.
So I guess you missed the devblog where BI specifically said that they wouldn't do that again.

EDIT: On the contrary, I think BI to some degree had an eye on the players who don't know or wouldn't put in the effort to script their way around the driver's-seat restriction...

Edited by Chortles

Hey Burns I really appreciate that you took the time to make and release this addon. This addon is a very important part of feedback about the new DLC method and I hope it will help BI to realize that such restrictions are silly and do not provide any incentive to buy the DLC.

Also to everyone accusing you of stealing: Everyone who knows you, also knows of your dedication to this community and Arma.

We all have a responsibility to continue to make this community grow. That includes doing the right thing in the face of easily doing the wrong thing.

that's a bit ignorant to be honest. ofp modding started by "hacking" the game, demo even. as with many games. you can't possibly be that upset about an addon that does something that you can already do even easier than using this addon in the game. although i like the idea of this being a secret test by BI to test our morals. fictional yet intriguing ;)

v1.1 available now with added unflip action that becomes available when you're upside down.

Also new with this update, the "Get in Kart" entry will no longer show up for DLC owners.

That should make it equally useful for anybody

edit: removed, as i just learned that BI already included their own "set up kart" function - touché! :)

Edited by Mr Burns