Sign in to follow this  
AveryTheKitty

Karts EBO files

Any way of getting the two mpmission names for the karts DLC without looking in the ebos? Adding them to a mission blacklist mod so they don't show in the mission list.

At least it is possible to edit the classes the DLC brings, starterpistol with real ammo hehe

From the latest SITREP :

â—¾Those who explored the DLC files, noticed the data is contained in EBO files (encrypted PBO containers). It's not our plan to keep this encryption in place forever. While a timeframe is not known, we expect to switch to PBOs some time after a DLC package has been released. That way modders can learn and take inspiration from our data (though this should be covered via samples, documentation and in-game tools - let us know which parts are missing).

Very nice, thanks BIS :)

• Like 1

Great, give us tools to make our mods in ebo format.

And why would you need that exactly?

And why would you need that exactly?

To give modders a way to protect their content (at least until Mikero gets his grubby hands on it :p), ironically I just submitted a thread asking about this, must of missed the thread. :j:

Edited by Kiory

Anyone with a texture template for the karts? I'd like to make some liveries for using with setobjecttexture.

Wrong idea. Your content is protected. It's called binarization.

If you encrypt the pbos because you feel the need for "protection" maybe you shouldnt be modding for arma 3.

If The ability to look and see how things are done then try to replicate them was taken away were would we be?

You tell me if you couldn't unpack the game data starting at ofp you think anyone would be where we are today?

Wrong idea. Your content is protected. It's called binarization.

If you encrypt the pbos because you feel the need for "protection" maybe you shouldnt be modding for arma 3.

If The ability to look and see how things are done then try to replicate them was taken away were would we be?

You tell me if you couldn't unpack the game data starting at ofp you think anyone would be where we are today?

Mate, I'm not going anywhere, and you know me, I don't protect my shit, I release it publicly (Really no need for that outburst). I personally do not feel the need to protect my work, I do feel that if I'm working with a team that I do however, so the many other little shits that do steal work at least can't edit it.

I think modders should have the choice to fully protect their work using ebo encryption.

Yea this isn't an attack on you or anything it's just how I feel about encrypting pbos, which btw can be done without bis anyway though it'll prob bring you more grief than anything else.

I think modders should have the choice to fully protect their work using ebo encryption.

exactly+1

exactly+1

And how many bis pbo have you looked into to see how the configs work?

How about just asking them?

Your content is protected. It's called binarization.

And copyright, too.

Honestly, how many times in the last ten or so years did anyone really feel the need to protect their stuff ? Theft of assets was always quickly found out about, and dealt with accordingly.

So, why would you need to encrypt your stuff, if not to hide it's workings from others ? To prevent people from learning from your stuff ?

Where is this community heading to, I wonder ?

Theft of assets was always quickly found out about, and dealt with accordingly

This is just not true, I can't count how many variations of the life mod there are, the many clones of DayZ with stolen assets that are still running today, even mods of mods using stolen asset, I don't see how you can say that when it's as rampant as ever.

If I'm working with a team, and we wish to protect our work as best as possible, we are more than entitled to do so.

Don't confuse my stance on freedom of data, I gladly release my stuff open source, but I feel within a team, especially when there's money involved (MANW), we have explicit rights to protect our work.

Missing the point, people should have the choice, that doesn't mean to say that everyone would be inclined ebo their work, hell I wouldn't use it for my public releases.

Edited by Kiory

I'm glad they will be 'releasing' these files in time.

...or they could just release the free one. Doesn't seem like rocket surgery.

I see your TPB quote and raise you a "Aliens fucked over the carbinator in engine number 4, I'm gonna try to refuckulate it and land on Juniper."

bis wants to protect with encryption. ebo this is normal, but I ask the same for my work and this is abnormal?

You oppose me that I should open a pbo with tools provided by bis, in order to learn why, in your opinion, bis it gave you an opportunity to use this tool?

On the other hand, I am not a studio, calculating that provide enough to make extensions, with the modding, will boost sales of the original product.

I make addons for my pleasure first, and those who want to do the same use, like me, BIS tools to open and understand the procedure: not worth doing a trial for so little.

I think you misunderstanding what I said lodu. I am opposed to modders,not bis, using ebo. That's all.

I would protect addons with starforce, terrains with securom, missions with fade and custom obfuscated code, and all packed in encrypted ebo's with several advices of the FBI, NSA and a personal letter from Snowden. And all because people who has learned looking into other's work wants now that nobody looks into their work.

Oh the irony.

Don't confuse my stance on freedom of data, I gladly release my stuff open source, but I feel within a team, especially when there's money involved (MANW), we have explicit rights to protect our work.

Money, sure. I would guess that if there will ever be a user-created paid mod, it will need to be handled similar to the DLC (i.e. encrypted).

Honestly, how many times in the last ten or so years did anyone really feel the need to protect their stuff ? Theft of assets was always quickly found out about, and dealt with accordingly.

I've had experience with this, and the mod that did it is still there, and people play it. It wasn't dealt with accordingly, there is no support from BIS on this front, so how can you ever deal with it accordingly without spending rediculous amounts of money on lawsuits for a free product?

I would like to protect mods because they are my property; why would that be wrong?

Also, the argument of "you are disallowing people to learn from your content" is BS, 80% of the cases, these are people that copy-paste things into other mods, without any permission whatsoever. Modders spent hours upon days upon weeks upon months working on content that gets copy-pasted in a heartbeat.

Also, the argument of "you are disallowing people to learn from your content" is BS, 80% of the cases, these are people that copy-paste things into other mods, without any permission whatsoever. Modders spent hours upon days upon weeks upon months working on content that gets copy-pasted in a heartbeat.

I disagree there. All that i learnt was looking through others people work.

I disagree there. All that i learnt was looking through others people work.

I did not say 100% of the cases.

Also, there's this thing called a wiki - it has most information. If not, there's always the Skype channels or the forums here. Plenty of folks willing to help out.

Not saying that looking at other people's work to learn is wrong btw. For some it can be useful. But saying "All that I learnt was looking through others people work" seems a bit strange - surely most of the information in there was available to you anyways.

Also, there's this thing called a wiki - it has most information. If not, there's always the Skype channels or the forums here. Plenty of folks willing to help out.

Well, yes, but that's not enough. I stopped modding now, but I would never have started modding without being able to look into community addons. Locking them completely is not a good solution IMHO.

A particular p3d format (not binarized obviously), which would be "locked" could be a solution : it could be opened in O2, explored but not modified nor copied.

Not saying that looking at other people's work to learn is wrong btw. For some it can be useful. But saying "All that I learnt was looking through others people work" seems a bit strange - surely most of the information in there was available to you anyways.

Well, the great lack of tutorials (look, people still used Brsseb one, which is very old) makes it necessary. I had two main sources : BIS sample models and addons. But both were necessary. And probably still are.

Edited by ProfTournesol

Nobody here has learned just looking the wiki, or you are in a team and you get direct advice from its members/friends, or you are peeking into other's work, or you lie. Period. The wiki can be only used as reference (if you are lucky, but that's another problem) and forums only can be used for very specific questions.

Again and sorry, but it's pure hypocrisy. And the feeling you are transmitting is that your work is more important than other's, as it deserves to be protected in a community that has been working well until now, with quality and quantity, very affordable for begginers. I'm talking about scripting.

I could agree with 3d models, as nobody wants to see their work pirated and being sold in a website, for example, but that's another level and currently there is already protection for 3d stuff in form of binarization.

Following your thoughts the only apparent solution, equal for everyone, would be to to protect every single mod by default, not only yours, and then I guarantee you that mod production would decrease in the medium term. Is that what we want?.

and currently there is already protection for 3d stuff in form of binarization

No its not a protection, its just binarization. It's a hindrance but no protection. People have been able to debinarize BIS models from A3 already...

So yes i'm all in favor of protected files for modders.

Just because a protection tool would be available doesnt stop people from releasing open source stuff or leaving their stuff unprotected. And neither does it stop people from writing tutorials or - if asked - provide help or even source material on a personal level. Just not making it possible for scumbags to rip it off so easily and use it to their filthy hearts content, and even sell it.

Edited by Fennek