Sign in to follow this  
byku

The new ARMA 3 DLC system - debate

Do you think the new DLC system is a good idea?  

399 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the new DLC system is a good idea?

• Yes
    • No (try to post why and how it should look)
    • No - I prefer Arma 2 system

R4IDER, You complain about the content of the DLCs while at the same time admit you know nothing about what's in them? Isn't that a bit contradictory?

Read more, guess less. ;)

Karts was made by one dev on his free time for fun, charity and testing the new DLC system. It's was a one time DLC, there will not be others like it. Don't try to use it as a argument again, please.

At least, read the roadmap blog before ranting.

Marksman DLC for example, I don't claim to know what is in this pack

But you make attacks as if you do know. If BIS has released fairly priced DLC in the past, why would they suddenly change that? They've already modified their DLC model to be more successful for them. There is no evidence that they're going to gouge us with overpriced packs.

I find it very annoying that we're seeing DLC packs with Karts for example when I see that we still don't have any large fixed wing aircraft and there are still bugs in the game that have been in the game since the alpha such as the SLI PIP flicker bug.

Read my post again. You're connecting 2 different things as if they affect one another. Do you think the entire team stopped what they were doing to work on the Karts DLC? How much time do you think was actually spent, and by how many people? You want to talk about annoying, imagine how annoying it must be for BIS (and me, for that matter) to have to deal with so much anger any time they release something that might not please everyone? This negative reinforcement just scares developers from doing anything or thinking outside the box. Please, for the sake of the community-developer relationship, stop this.

I never said you were wrong about being annoyed. I even said you had a right to not be happy with the state of the game. I was criticizing your attacks that were built entirely upon your ignorance of the subject.

Bis has not disclosed full details on any of the dlc content. So is this all speculation? Are people arguing and getting upset over hearsay?

---------- Post added at 14:32 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

Any developer reading this tread can you inform the forum one month prior to release of dlc, the dlc content details. So it can he discussed with facts. And maybe you can learn something . Spank you.

This thread isn't about the content of the DLC, it's about the distribution method. We don't need to know exactly what helicopters are included in the Helicopters DLC to debate whether there should be game interrupting messages or full screen overlays or whether players should be locked out of the driver seat of DLC vehicles if they did not purchase the DLC. Nor do we need to know which rifles are included in the Marksman DLC to suggest alternative systems for distributing it.

And on that note, I recently exited an MP server to a pop-up telling me that I had just played in a mission that uses DLC content, click here to purchase. I have to say, that was pretty irritating. I didn't even see any DLC content.

I haven't actively participated on this forum in a while, but I feel I must contribute my opinion.

I don't understand what the problem people have with it. You're not meant to be using those DLC vehicles, if it were any other game. That's why they're paid DLC. You buy them, and you can use them. So, I think they're being pretty damn fair when they even let you board as things like a passenger. Then they also allow you to join MP games with the content in and observe, so you're not prevented from entering certain servers just because you didn't want to pay. People are saying "what if someone wants to use a vehicle but they can't because they're not a DLC owner and then no-one can take control if the other pilot dies..." well, that's the incentive to purchase the DLC. Remember, it's not a granted right that you can use those assets, it's a little something just to tide you over. You're not meant to have full control and be able to zoom about when you haven't paid for it.

Plus, they even give you the mechanics for free. You want sling loading? You got it. You want firing from vehicles? You got it. Not at any cost to anybody, you could continue merrily on your way without purchasing the DLC and you would still get your nice new features. That's the thing, you are paying for content so why would you be able to pilot that vehicle or use that weapon, when you have advanced flight models and (maybe?!) bipods etc for free? That's their side of the bargain, if you will, and if you pay you still get a nice bonus.

So yeah, when people are complaining because they can't fly or drive or whatever then I'm thinking no, you shouldn't be, because you're not entitled to anyway. I fail to see any reasoning behind why you should be allowed to operate content which you don't own. imho, they've been pretty lenient at the minute with their restrictions. What other games permit you to play alongside DLC owners and even access portions of them? I can't think of many, if any.

/rant

tl;dr - People are complaining about being unable to use content they haven't bought?

tl;dr - People are complaining about being unable to use content they haven't bought?

Essentially sums up the results of this thread's poll.

Truthbetold the result was forecast when over 90% of the poll result was either a "yes" or for the very system that pettka outright said "is not an option. Period :icon_twisted:"... essentially meaning that BI was essentially throwing out half of the vote.

It would be interesting to see the results of the survey they did on this topic.