democore

Real time Browser Map

Development discontinued. If anyone wants to continue it, feel free to do so: https://github.com/democore/RTMV

Hey everyone,

I moved on from the last thread (which is dedicated to the native IOS version of this) to this new one, since this is pretty much a new thing.

With this mod, you can make your arma game session accessable via any webbrowser.
Try it out here: Link
It currently works best with Chrome.

This is a VERY early build, so don't expect everything to work the way it's intendet to.

Implemented:
- Display all Units on Map
- Teleport Units
- Give Waypoints to Unit
- View Waypoints of Units
- Spawn anything with given Classname
- Admin option to only show selected side (west, east, ...)
- Markers are shown
- Display all Vehicles on Map
- Auto Follow mode
- Altis, Stratis, Takistan, Chernarus, Zargabad (Thanks to 10T)

WIP:
- add way more commands to the alter unit window
- General way nicer UI (the current version is just for testing)
- display list of units
- Option to disable the commands and only use the map for GPS

Planned for future:
- easier implementation
- login system for restricting visibility of units for example
- add more maps
- choice to only draw markers and no units
- getting the refresh time faster
- things that you guys point out

Screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/J1BA13f.jpg (597 kB)

Download:
http://justdev.de/@RTMS.rar

Howto:
- forward tcp port 3000
- copy the content of the folder "Copy content into arma 3 root folder" into arma root
- open the ArmaHandleTcp.exe, select port 3000 and press the "Start Server" Button
- start server or client with the @RTMS mod
- browse to http://justdev.de/newol/map.html and enter your ip.
- Click on Connect

Edited by democore
  • Like 1

You pretty much listed everything i wouldve suggested appart from one thing, would there be any way to front page it on a clan website pretty much like the gametracker windows? People who come on could see whats happening on the map on real time. Being the one who first requested you to make a browser version, i thank you for considering my idea and making it. Cant wait for the Altis version!

P.S. I almost forgot, MAP TEXTURES! :D

You pretty much listed everything i wouldve suggested appart from one thing, would there be any way to front page it on a clan website pretty much like the gametracker windows? People who come on could see whats happening on the map on real time. Being the one who first requested you to make a browser version, i thank you for considering my idea and making it. Cant wait for the Altis version!

P.S. I almost forgot, MAP TEXTURES! :D

Sure! I'm already planing to sit down with a guy with knowledge about php/html to ma the page look clean and nice. :)

Hehe, yea browser version just was a great idea :)

Very nice indeed. Great release! Is it possible to just have friendlies showing ? What about markers (or sensors)? How quickly are fast movers shown in map ?

Sorry for loads of questions :)

I could see this being a game within a game!

Edited by Kremator
shocking typos !

Very nice indeed. Great release! Is it possible to just have friendlies showing ? What about markers (or sensors)? How quickly are fast movers shown in map ?

Sorry for laods of questions :)

I could see this being a game within a game!

Thanks! :)

Yep, I will add that to WIP, good idea!

It will also be possible to only (or aswell) show markers.

Atm. it's a little bit too slow to really work nicely with fast movers. (because of the huge data mess I'm currently sending)

But once I get that problem done I will try to get the update speed down to 1 Second maybe even below that. (currently its around 3-10 seconds)

Very exciting indeed. What is the CPU overhead ingame for this? Say for instance there is 300AI, what is the FPS hit ?

From what I expierienced there is none. Really the only ingame lag you get are the times that arma calls the extention.

The maximum delay that I had in there is 15ms which is not noticeable :)

The the only latency problem atm really is displaying the units fast in the web. Which is not affecting the ingame fps in any way :)

How hard would it be to make altis with the ability to turn Enemy's on or off and Friendlies on or off with the option to maybe show only your squad i am just thinking from a Pilots standpoint see other Heli's on the map would be nice but seeing every ground unit might be considered to powerful.

Well, technically it would be no problem :) It's just a matter of programming theese features. I'm working on a login system, which links you to your ingame player, so theese features would definetly go in the direction I'm making this. Of course server admins will have the abillity to set up settings so each server can decide what to show and what not to show :)

Also, Altis will be the next Map I add. :)

holy shit this is awesome! please please please if you can...

-make the interface look like a bluforce tracker (BFT)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/FBCB2_CreateDevice_OperationsScreen.jpg

-enable option to show group only, with nato symbols if possible. this should help relieve some of the clutter that can occur from displaying ALL units.

last but not least, keep up the good work, this is a great idea!

EDIT: just curious, if you can link it to the in game player, would it be possible to messaging between the interface and player? imagine big milsim units running operations and the command being able to watch it on the browser and send messages to their guys in game. this linked with alive for example could facilitate long lasting operations on a pretty large scale by giving commanders the ability to track their units operations without the need to be in game. imagine bringing this up on a tablet... and sending a message to a unit engaged in a mission... being able to do this from anywhere, at anytime would be pretty insane.

edit 2: markers... being able to drop markers in game and in the browser, and having them cross reference... the possibilities

Edited by Thedog88

Democore, this just sounds better and better with every post mate. Keep working your arse off on this one !

holy shit this is awesome! please please please if you can...

-make the interface look like a bluforce tracker (BFT)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/FBCB2_CreateDevice_OperationsScreen.jpg

-enable option to show group only, with nato symbols if possible. this should help relieve some of the clutter that can occur from displaying ALL units.

last but not least, keep up the good work, this is a great idea!

EDIT: just curious, if you can link it to the in game player, would it be possible to messaging between the interface and player? imagine big milsim units running operations and the command being able to watch it on the browser and send messages to their guys in game. this linked with alive for example could facilitate long lasting operations on a pretty large scale by giving commanders the ability to track their units operations without the need to be in game. imagine bringing this up on a tablet... and sending a message to a unit engaged in a mission... being able to do this from anywhere, at anytime would be pretty insane.

edit 2: markers... being able to drop markers in game and in the browser, and having them cross reference... the possibilities

Thanks for the detailed responce :)

- Yea displaying at least only friendly units will help alot. It means sending way less units to the server making it updating faster and as you said, make the browser shutter less! :)

- Im not sure at all how the interface should look like in the end. Having a designer would be totally awesome, since my designing skills are limited to changing a color of a icon in photoshop :D

- Sure, messaging between players would be no problem at all, even without connecting the real players with their characters.. I'd love to get voice in there.. may be possible with ts plugin.. but thats just playing with ideas in my mind :) still it's possible somehow I think.

- displaying this on tablet should be easy too! :) Will work on that, if all the most important stuff is out of the way.

- markers: good idea, will do monday maybe :)

- Indeed, the possibilties.. ;) I'm really happy that all of this is possible! :)

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

Thanks! :) I will! :)

No, that would lead to different versions everywhere and since there's also a kind of security issue to this (imagine some troll spawning things like explosions everywhere on your map) that can lead to problems.

But you will be able to implement a map on your website via reference (your page implementing the map so its displayed on your website).

I hope I didn't upset anyone with this answer, but thats the way it's going to be, sorry :/

Update: I've created a server config. In this config you can now set which units are supposed to be seen by clients on the map.

Simply edited by this:

MV_ShowWestUnits = true;

MV_ShowEastUnits = false;

MV_ShowGuerUnits = true;

MV_ShowEmptyVehicles = true;

Theese values will be changeable in realtime (no need for server/map restart)

Edited by DemoCore

Update:

Markers are kind of in. Not all of them are implemented and they flicker around a bit, but proof of concept so far :)

Hey DemoCore, this is looking freaking sweet.

Dunno if it helps, but I've just recently been working on making some Google Maps API-compatible tiles of the A3 & A3MP topographical maps, but with better height-shading (because I can't stand the current flat ones in-game). I'm planning to use them with Axek's awesome Automatic AAR generator - if they're any use to you you're most welcome to them. I should have the A3 maps and most of the A3MP tile sets done in the next two weeks.

There's a very early (ignore the watermarks, the broken tiles, and the lack of height-specific colours) draft of Stratis here.

And here are some samples of Takistan:

Full map:

Takistan_Out_200.png

Larger (1024px - 1.7MB)

100% zoom:

Takistan_sample0.png

Larger (1.1 MB)

Another (400 kB)

Hey DemoCore, this is looking freaking sweet.

Dunno if it helps, but I've just recently been working on making some Google Maps API-compatible tiles of the A3 & A3MP topographical maps, but with better height-shading (because I can't stand the current flat ones in-game). I'm planning to use them with Axek's awesome Automatic AAR generator - if they're any use to you you're most welcome to them. I should have the A3 maps and most of the A3MP tile sets done in the next two weeks.

There's a very early (ignore the watermarks, the broken tiles, and the lack of height-specific colours) draft of Stratis here.

And here are some samples of Takistan:

Full map:

http:///sor.zak.net.au/Takistan_Out_200.png

Larger (1024px - 1.7MB)

100% zoom:

http:///sor.zak.net.au/Takistan_sample0.png

Larger (1.1 MB)

Another (400 kB)

Holy sh*t, does that mean you could provide images of the maps in that quality?

That would be extremely awesome!!! Nice work man!

This is why i like this community so much!

Is this MP compatible?

Very interesting! Could really work out to something really cool with some more styling!

Keep up the good work man!

This is why i like this community so much!

Is this MP compatible?

Yea sure its MP compatible :) Thats the cool thing about it :D

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

Yea :) I hope I'll find someone to help me with the design :)

Thanks! I will!

Update: Vehicles are in. (not all vehicles are implemented yet, but quite some ( 86 ) )