Sign in to follow this  
RongYao

[Question about security] Arma2OA server browser

Hi there guys!

I have a question regarding the security of server browser. A friend gifted me the game arma2 complete, perfect, it is awesome, but few questions here.

1. Arma2 Complete on steam has 3 tabs on multiplayer browser, lan, steam and internet, why steam never shows up serves?

2. Choosing to show only battleye protected server does guarantee you would use only official servers or not?

3. Seems that for DayZ there are servers named no-cd appearing on my list, even when i choose that i want only battleye ones to show up in my list, i doubt those servers are official, could someone clear that whole situation for me please, why there are such servers appearing?

4. BiStudio support recommended me to use DayZ commander, still does that guarantees you only joining official servers if you check to hide unofficial ones right?

I'm concerned that joining unofficial server then someone may stole or find a way to use my cdkey or id, so can you assure me that can't happen or if there is such a possibility would you hint me how to dodge those fake servers and stay out of problems?

Thanks for the answers in advance!

Edited by RongYao

Hi mate. I am here to answer all of your questions :)

1. Because there are no (atm) Arma 2 OA servers using the steam network. (that might change soon; gamespy committed suicide)

2. Most servers that are not using BE are servers that either have something better to protect them OR those servers make sure that even hackers that got globally banned can join the server.

3. no-cd key servers are servers that do not check if your CD key is currently in use by another player in the server. Which means that if a hacker stole a game from someone's PC, he will still be able to play on no-cd key servers even if the player he stole it from is on the same server. So yeah, stay really far away from those servers; the chance that you will find a lot of legit players there is pretty small.

4. You are able to join no-cd key servers using DayZ Commander, but they usually have that in their names. So practically, DayZ Commander does not guarentee that every server is safe.

For first time i feel like i want to see steam powered servers for non-steam based game around. Yea heard about gamespy, duh fairwell for them it is sad, but at least we will be having alternative.

I just need to know the best way of dodging and not joining pirated servers, so thank you for the reply, really appreciate the input on those questions, there was no answer around the community for those questions and everything got me kinda worried.

One thing that wasn't clear still, I choose filter to show only battleye servers and there are still no cd ones showing up in the list, isn't battleye generating id based on the cdkey, how nocd server shows in the list of filtered servers with battleye only?

In order for the no-cd key thing to work, the server admins are required to disable BE on their server. So practically, a no-cd key server can not have BE enabled.

Thank you very much! ^^ You really did helped me greatly! That answers everything I wanted to know about!