LCpl Aaron

15th MEU CH-46 SeaKnight WIP

Im apart of the 15th MEU(SOC) realism unit mod team and this is my very first addon for Arma 3. Special thanks to Fight9 and Riouken for scripting and config help to get it to the state it is in now (both apart of the mod team aswell) and WarLordd554 who gave the model and textures to another member of the team for us to get working in engine and to share with the community. So far most of model is unaltered except i have no got the time to start working on the pilot LOD. hopefully i can release a public alpha after i finish the Pilot LOD textures and get the instruments operational. Right now im having an issue getting turrets to behave correctly but the addon is coming along nicely.

http://i.imgur.com/iBYVpVq.jpg (322 kB)

http://i.imgur.com/p1pEM2K.jpg (304 kB)

The cockpit is highly WIP and has only placeholder textures until i can practice some more or get someone to do fresh textures who has more experince than me(which is practically anyone)

http://i.imgur.com/QAToBy5.jpg (366 kB)

Features/planned

Has a walkable cargo area, hopefully will be able to integrate attach to with movement script later on

Upgraded cockpit from original model (WIP)

optimization of LODs and such

better textures and model improvements in polishing stage

50 cal side guns and a Door gun variant

Will try to make this compatible with most logistics mods.

There is probably more but i cant think of right now.

You can find our units Website here :

http://www.15thmeu.net/

Some of you may have seen a few of our members videos and no doubt seen this in videos.

Glad to see it finally coming together. You guys have done a great job. :)

This looks really good, Cant wait to see this in A3!

This will going to be so epic, you make our carrier crews much powerful.

This will be a nice air asset! Looking forward to it´s release! :)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the model and textures are from Call of Duty...

It's a real shame because I was hoping this would finally stop the 15th MEU from distributing the illegally modified CH-46 that one of their members stole from Project RACS. :mad:

Edited by Ballistic09

i was assured by the team member that it had permission for a port by Warlord554(check post #2 for source) , if that was not the case i will make a new one.

The model and textures were obtained freely from various 3d model websites with full permission as long as no money was made off the model

The model and textures were obtained freely from various 3d model websites with full permission as long as no money was made off the model

*Cough* - http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101118011011/callofduty/images/f/f7/Friendly_CH-47_Chinook_BO.jpg

It may be on a freeware site but that doesnt make it legal. And if it is from the site i think it is, youll find it in the company of many other models ripped from various games.

If you are the innocent victim then I feel for you. But you are better off just making your own.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the model and textures are from Call of Duty...

Ahh I remember that game. But yeah, certainly is unfortunate :(

Well that is unfortunate if that's the case. I wouldnt really know as I do not play COD or related games. What a shame. Oh well you guys can make a better one yourselves anyways

yeah, well if that is the case i already have a WIP thread started. HA. At any rate i will start work on a fresh model, at least this way i can do a higher poly version and bake it.

I have some high polys I've purchased ill get ingame eventually. Next up is the us air force special operations aircraft, after that ill do usmc airwing

Out of curiosity, why do so many people use purchased models in this community?

I love to make my own, and continue to. But some ppl are way better at it so I personally just pay. Also depends on the item, gear, weapons, vehicles, etc. However I just finished my 7th combat tour with us special forces, so I don't always have the time or resources to model my own. Just my two cents worth :)

Modelling doesn't take that much time on its own truth be told, it does if you become very anal about authenticity, details and so on, likewise how you decide to unwrap the model will soak up a HUGE amount of time for all the planning.

In all honesty you spend most of your time looking at reference photo's than on the actual model.

However I just finished my 7th combat tour with us special forces, so I don't always have the time or resources to model my own.

Which SF unit is that mate? Not to point the finger wrongly, I just think it rather strange to post such a thing on a Public Forum if you were genuinely in US Special Forces.

Modelling doesn't take that much time on its own truth be told, it does if you become very anal about authenticity, details and so on, likewise how you decide to unwrap the model will soak up a HUGE amount of time for all the planning.

In all honesty you spend most of your time looking at reference photo's than on the actual model.

yeah modelling is alot of technical experince and knowing how to get the shape you want and keeping it in quads or atleast i keep them as quad as possible so i can turbo smooth the mesh. I spend most of my time cleaning up the mesh and keeping everything as realistic as possible especially with the nvidea Physics everything has to realstic or its a royal pain to get the simulations working correctly.

Does anyone have any good pointers for modeling the nose and front of the cock pit in max? the way i usually do it is get the basic shape with splines and loft the spline to get an approximate shape and go poly per poly and use swift loops to add verts to get the shape i want. Is there an easier way? The loft technique i used came out pretty good so far.

Which SF unit is that mate? Not to point the finger wrongly, I just think it rather strange to post such a thing on a Public Forum if you were genuinely in US Special Forces.

Well his location suggest Fort Campbell on the Tennessee:Kentucky line and im not positive but im pretty sure there are some rangers stationed there.

I am very careful about info I distribute to the public, especially on international forums. But I haven't divulged anything of intelligence value in that statement. :cool:

Does anyone have any good pointers for modeling the nose and front of the cock pit in max? the way i usually do it is get the basic shape with splines and loft the spline to get an approximate shape and go poly per poly and use swift loops to add verts to get the shape i want. Is there an easier way? The loft technique i used came out pretty good so far.

Can't really use one single technique since they work differently with the various noses, however I've found in modelling a CH-47 and a CH-53 that a mixture of bridging and subdivision works great. For example, use as very vertices as you can to define the roundness at the peak of the nose, then duplicate that, rotate it and modify it to fit another angle of the nose (ignore the missing verts on the peak of the nose, by the time I got around to taking pics I already had the frame modified)

bridge1_zpsec099546.jpg

The technique is similar to working with nurbs except you have far better vertice control which is the goal, the idea is to again use as few as possible then bridge them into faces like so

bridge2_zps83556dac.jpg

This looks pretty *raspberry sound* unless you're going for something low poly, but when a subdivision modifier is combined then you get a mesh automaticly smoothed out

bridge3_zps74bdab47.jpg

The idea is to let the program calculate the meshflow for a smoother result that would take longer to achieve by hand and to have excellent control over the mesh because until you collapse the modifier, you're still working with just those few vertices as opposed to clustering several close together from the ground up. Of course you can and should still go back in and clean up unnecessary edgeloops...the idea is to take advantage of how subdivision behaves as a modifier rather than use it entirerly.

similar technique used here http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/CH47frame_zps0653838f.jpg

Edited by NodUnit

Wow. Fantastic work with the hook Nod. I'll have to give your technique a try.

Well his location suggest Fort Campbell on the Tennessee:Kentucky line and im not positive but im pretty sure there are some rangers stationed there.

Me thinks the (redacted...if I'm right I don't want to break OPSEC and jeopardize his safety) would be a clue as to what unit he is in. that would be my guess...

Back on topic, love that you're doing the sea knight. Not to hate on SFC.ITHZAKS work, it's way better than anything I could do, but his -46 was not visually appealing as some of the other rotary winged aircraft made by the community. BHO.HOGG was working on a good one but he stopped releasing his work to the community. Keep up the good work, I stay away from A3 cuz of the futuristic stuff, but the more modern day stuff that gets put out, it may lure me into leaving A2/OA

Edited by islesfan186

ok so im almost done fleshing out the new model, since there was some interest in the ch46 i figured i would atleast release an update after i had something that was okay, im about 75% done with the blocking out stage and figuring out how to get all the shapes half way correct, there is still alot of inconsistencies to correct in the mesh but it is coming along nicely. Im far from happy with it, hopefully i will be able to start the low poly model in the next month or so, depending on work and family life.

http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/supergizmo/slideshow/CH-46%20WIP

i would love to hear critics on my modeling, im an expert by no means so im completly open to pointers and suggestions on my work. anyways enjoy. ;)

That looks very promising. Looking forward to it. :)