Sign in to follow this  
BeachAV8R

TOH - Revisited...

I'm posting a full "AAR" of the Larkin campaign over at SimHQ: The Larkin Story

I'm guessing that TOH is pretty much an idle project right now, but I sure wish the developers would have taken a modular approach to TOH and released some new campaign content. The base module was pretty much done - why not release $10 DLC campaigns that put you in the role of SAR, Gunship, Police, Forestry, EMS, or other roles? It's a shame to see such a nice product withering on the vine..

Some screens from the AAR:

http://www.mudspike.com/ARMA/01TOH01.jpg (151 kB)

http://www.mudspike.com/ARMA/01TOH11.jpg (240 kB)

http://www.mudspike.com/ARMA/02TOH07.jpg (181 kB)

http://www.mudspike.com/ARMA/02TOH13.jpg (163 kB)

http://www.mudspike.com/ARMA/03TOH08.jpg (188 kB)

http://www.mudspike.com/ARMA/04TOH02.jpg (148 kB)

http://www.mudspike.com/ARMA/04TOH06.jpg (162 kB)

http://www.mudspike.com/ARMA/05TOH13.jpg (159 kB)

BeachAV8R

Pretty nice shots.

Really liked the (162kB) one.

Thanks - they are *tough* to get since you have to grab them in realtime in game.. The view options of TOH are a bit puzzling - why they blur the pause screen is baffling. I would think they'd want people to be able to get good screens to hype the game. The sim is also desperately in need of a flyby view. But all that's been said before - I doubt we'll see anything to fix those issues..

BeachAV8R

I wonder how BI managed to "film" the trailer.

I mean there should be some kind of program maybe which gives you the ability to film your gameplay.

I think they did it with scripts that probably go beyond what I'm capable of. It would have been nice if they had included preset "drop" cameras or the flyby view. It's one of those things that *might* not have been too hard to include, but would have made a world of difference to flight simmers (who love to look at themselves in the mirror..lol..).. I think there was a ticket made for it as a feature request by someone, but that was years ago. Has BI "officially" dropped support for TOH or is it just idle right now?

BeachAV8R

I really hope it is just idle since there are no other realistic helicopter sims around.

But as it seems BI seems to have forgotten about TOH.:(

They just don't seem to care anymore.

An example:

I have recently posted a thread about the use of the winch system and not one person from BI seems to be willing to help. Although there is a mission which uses the winch system already implemented in the game?!?!

I don't think they are supporting it anymore. Look at Gamespy's demise, they didn't port it over to steam MP support. The team is probably now working on the Arma 3 DLC, and I'm okay with that.

I like flying around in TKOH because of the ground detail particularly when using Arma maps. I love weaving through trees, and buildings. But the flight model still has a lot to be desired. There a number of better flight/heli SIMs that do a better job of modeling helicopter flight dynamics. Once you get use to the control fidelity in TKOH, TKOH is actually very forgiving. Control inputs are modeled well, but other flight dynamics ETL, ground effect are under modeled. I also wish they modeled vortex ring state, which would make pinnacle landings and pop up tactics more dangerous. Maybe they'll correct this in Arma 3.

Maybe they'll correct this in Arma 3.

In arma 3 helicopter flying is by no means realistic since the whole game is not a simulator. I really don't think they will be fixing anything.

Strange, I didn't get the second flashback mission. Hmm.

Have you applied all the patches?

I'm OK with BIS not trying to set the bar a far as helicopter realism is concerned. To me, TOH is a great mix of realism and fun gameplay, and that is what I'm looking for. If I'm yearning for exacting flight model and systems depth, I'll reach for DCS products, but for a quick bout of fun and flying - BIS has a pretty good thing going. I hope they continue to develop their helicopter stuff for Arma 3 (there is some sort of helo DLC coming down the pipe right?)..

BeachAV8R

There is indeed a "Helicopters" DLC scheduled for September, although so far the only reported stuff in the DLC will be two 'heavy transport' helicopters, "new playable content" (I guess missions, maybe a mini-campaign?) and Steam Achievements. On the other hand, in the coming months before the DLC is released we can expect to see the existing helicopters get upgraded with support for sling-loading, firing of personal weapons, and "a selective implementation" of the RotorLib FDM from TOH. :D

"a selective implementation" of the RotorLib FDM from TOH. :D

Oh they said "selective" great... You would think it would just be as easy to port what they have today and build on it. Some of the arma 3 helicopters had the rotorlib data iin the PBO already like the Mohawk which is basically the heavy helicopter in TOH. It would be interesting to compare the data to see if they are porting it over. I'm eagerly waiting for the light helicopter model to be ported over. I really hate how sluggish the hummingbird and pawnee are in Arma 3. Also curious what they plan to do with the Blackfoot aka Commanche and if they will try to make it behave like the real thing.

I'm OK with BIS not trying to set the bar a far as helicopter realism is concerned. To me, TOH is a great mix of realism and fun gameplay, and that is what I'm looking for. If I'm yearning for exacting flight model and systems depth, BeachAV8R

Yeah TOH is fun, you can do really stupid things and not break the helicopter. I'm not into the cockpit and system modeling either. I actually always use engine auto start, and stop in TOH. But I like the flying part, and would love to have that modeled better as there are very few helicopter simulators out there. Yes TOH is not a true simulator but it could be. Rotorlib looks like it has the potential on paper. DCS is good for the flying but if I get shot down, I want to be able to shoot back after I crash land. That is one thing I really like about TOH, and ARMA 3, you can also land get out and wander around on foot just about anywhere.

Edited by quickvenge

I wonder why there is no mod which implements realistic flight models in Arma 3. At least the existing flight models in TOH.

I also wonder why do people like flying helicopters in Arma 3. I really haven't tried it myself but if it is like Arma 2 then the controls are tiring and too fake.

I wonder why there is no mod which implements realistic flight models in Arma 3. At least the existing flight models in TOH.

I also wonder why do people like flying helicopters in Arma 3. I really haven't tried it myself but if it is like Arma 2 then the controls are tiring and too fake.

If you don't like Arma 2's flight model, you really won't like the current Arma 3 helicopters. It's a lot more arcadish and worse than 2 in my opinion. But the terrain and ground detail and scale in Arma 3 is second to none. It's just fun watching the scenery go by particularly if you set the time day with the sun low on the horizon. I got into arma 3 late so Altis was already out. I literally wasted 3 hours first time I got into a chopper just flying around and exploring Altis by air. With a chopper you can land at interesting places to then explore on foot, and get back in to go find something else to explore.

Folks have tried to modify the existing arma3 helicopters, but its an engine thing or lack of it. The port of Rotorlib from TOH is our next best hope for a better helicopter engine in Arma 3. I'm hoping BI doesn't ruin it when they port it over, and actually make it better.