Sign in to follow this  
teoleo

help with first uav mission

i don't find the spotter.....help please

It took me a while to find them but they are on the side of the hill about 300m away from the town towards inland. I think their exact position is somewhat random each time.

And use thermal view to see them easier.

i have failed five times.....

I also have problem with this. I do find two figures on the hill side and I do place the laser designator on one of these figures. I doesn't help and I have tried far more than five times.

I don't see exactly what needs to be done. This is one of the things I hate with ARMA that it's so complicated to use.

Just to confirm, you are definitely lasing them (Red icon appears on the screen), it might take a little while but Charlie should say "Copy your mark Alpha, engaging now" and then open up on them, the alternative is to spot them and just shoot them yourself.

As Jona said, the laser needs to be switched on, and it needs to be held on one of the targets for several seconds before Charlie lance will engage. The UAV should have clear line of sight to the target when you hold the laser on him; if there's a bush half-obscuring the target, it might not work. If you decide to take out these enemies yourself, you've got to move fast; you barely have time to get to them before the mission fails. Note that one of them appears to be scripted to sit there staring stupidly (such a dedicated spotter) even as you run up to him and shoot him, but the other will engage you effectively.

On a side note, you get to keep the UAV to use for future missions. When you're told to retreat from the town, run to the corpses of the two spotters, lie down, and take control of the UAV again. Fly the UAV over to your location, land it, and disassemble it. If you remove all of the items from your old backpack, you can put your empty backpack inside the UAV pack and take both your backpack and the UAV (in its pack) back to your base. : )

As Jona said, the laser needs to be switched on, and it needs to be held on one of the targets for several seconds before Charlie lance will engage. The UAV should have clear line of sight to the target when you hold the laser on him; if there's a bush half-obscuring the target, it might not work. If you decide to take out these enemies yourself, you've got to move fast; you barely have time to get to them before the mission fails. Note that one of them appears to be scripted to sit there staring stupidly (such a dedicated spotter) even as you run up to him and shoot him, but the other will engage you effectively.

On a side note, you get to keep the UAV to use for future missions. When you're told to retreat from the town, run to the corpses of the two spotters, lie down, and take control of the UAV again. Fly the UAV over to your location, land it, and disassemble it. If you remove all of the items from your old backpack, you can put your empty backpack inside the UAV pack and take both your backpack and the UAV (in its pack) back to your base. : )

I left click and a red star with a line to the right appear outside the target reticle. Then I move the center point and when it's over one of the two figures red text saying radar designator appear. I can have it this way up to 30 seconds without anything happening.

I actually remember one occasion when I got a 'copy your mark Alpha' but after that nothing happened and I don't understand what I did different at that occasion.

Ok I just played it through now and I can't reproduce the error, I launch the UAV, use the thermal camera to locate the two AAF guys on the northern side of the valley and then Charlie copy my mark and shoot them pretty quickly. I don't get that red text saying "Radar Designator", what difficulty are you on?

Ok I just played it through now and I can't reproduce the error, I launch the UAV, use the thermal camera to locate the two AAF guys on the northern side of the valley and then Charlie copy my mark and shoot them pretty quickly. I don't get that red text saying "Radar Designator", what difficulty are you on?

I'm on lowest difficulty 'recruit'

Ok, that just must be part of that. I'm not sure what could be going on then, as I said, it worked just fine for me.

I do find two figures on the hill side and I do place the laser designator on one of these figures.

I just realized -- you may be putting the laser on Charlie squad themselves.

Charlie squad is two soldiers on a hill just east of Girna. The enemy will be on the hill across the valley, to the northeast of Girna. Make sure, after you find the soldiers with thermal, that you switch to direct camera and identify them by their uniforms. You'll want to switch to the UAV's "gunner turret," as that camera has a higher zoom ability. I'm betting you're lasing the wrong targets -- I mistook Charlie squad for the enemy on my first playthrough. : )

I don't know for certain, but you may need to leave the laser on the targets until they're dead. It may be coincidence, but the two times I turned off the laser immediately after Charlie acknowledged the targets, the latter failed to engage. Every time I've left the laser on, Charlie's done their job. I still let go of the UAV controls (leaving the laser on and pointed at the targets, presumably) the moment Charlie responds to my laser, and then I run up the hill towards the enemy spotters, just in case Charlie doesn't do what they're supposed to. (It's also the area where you need to go anyway for your next objective.)

It is an open sandbox military game. Why don't you just go up to them with your squad? That's what I did

It is an open sandbox military game. Why don't you just go up to them with your squad? That's what I did

I tried that but I went to the wrong place since I indeed was putting the laser on Charlie squad themselves

I've been stuck on this for 7 hours, it's getting to the point that I may just stop playing the game entirely.

- I have now completed this level, simply by walking to where they are and shooting them.

Edited by shaunyams