Sign in to follow this  
Odyssey

Cannot downgrade ARMA 2 OA to 1.62

Hey peeps,

Me and a friend were having the typical "Bad Version" error due to having 1.63, I managed to fix mine by deleting the OA .exe's and validating, then upgrading manually. My friend, however, is still having problems, he's tried the exact same process as me (multiple times) but it does not work, we've made sure he has auto updating off, we've made sure OA beta was unistalled, and yet it always puts him up to 1.63, we've tried validating multiple times, reinstalling multiple times, I even hopped onto team viewer to do it myself and it still keeps him on 1.63 everytime, I don't get it, afaik the only difference is I have Win7 and he has Win8.

Any help is much appreciated.

I would just have him do a fresh install. Who knows how the game will act on Win8, may be different from our 7

What do you mean by fresh install? As in uninstall and reinstall Arma 2 OA? Because yeah we've done that a few times and it always installs 1.63.

(edit) forgot to mention, this is on steam, but as long as it's set to not automatically update it should revert to the base version.

Steam has two Arma 2 OA entries, "Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead" which is the latest stable version (1.62) and "Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Beta" which is the latest beta (1.63.116523). Either launch Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead to run 1.62 stable or you can revert to the latest 1.62 beta from the Betas tab under properties of "Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Beta".

You could also uninstall "Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Beta" and use any of the betas from http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php.

You could also uninstall "Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Beta" and use any of the betas from http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php.

Yeah this is what we have done but you can't use an old beta patch without first reverting back (by reinstalling or deleting + validating) but his problem is he CAN'T revert back because even though it should put him back to 1.00 or whatever the base is, it put's him to 1.62.9xxxxxx (which I thought was 1.63, either way it's not what we want)

So you actually need the beta to be installed do you? Because we uninstalled it earlier, we both have 'opt out', are you saying he needs to change to 108074?

Yeah this is what we have done but you can't use an old beta patch without first reverting back (by reinstalling or deleting + validating) but his problem is he CAN'T revert back because even though it should put him back to 1.00 or whatever the base is, it put's him to 1.62.9xxxxxx (which I thought was 1.63, either way it's not what we want)

1.62.95248 is 1.62 stable and the lowest you can go on steam. If you want the most recent 1.62 beta choose beta108074 from steam. If you want any other beta between the most recent beta and 1.62 stable you will have to download it and install it from the arma beta depot.

If you still have problems tell us the exact number of the build version you want.

Well I'm running on 1.62.103419 on Steam, ideally that's what we want my friend on too. I wasn't really sure what Viba wanted me to do but I got my friend to install OA Beta again and change the betas tab to 108074 and now he's reinstalling Operation Arrowhead atm.

If you want to run the 1.62.103419 beta then Delete the Local Content for "Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Beta" which will remove the beta provided by steam and install ARMA2_OA_Build_103419.zip. You will then have to start Arma 2 OA via shortcut or launcher as you won't have a beta entry in steam anymore.

Beta 1.62.103419 is not provided in steam anymore, yours being at that version is not the norm.

Yeah mine is that version because I did what you stated, the problem is my friend can't because no matter what he does he is always at 1.62.9xxxxxx, so when he tries to run the earlier patch it will say something along the lines of "cannot run patch because you already have an updated version"

(Update, we got a different friend to download arma 2 and run the 1.62.103419 patch and it worked fine for him, just like it did for me, but the original guy is still having problems)

It's possible that he manually mixed the beta files with the game, making the game have mismatched files and confusing the installer. Or it could be a problem coming from duplicate files in windows virtualstore.

You could compare if he has the same files with you.

Well we got him to delete his Arma 2 OA folder and replace them with the other guy's (the one who got it working fine) and he's still having problems with it, it's really strange, this kind of behavior feels like interference from registry keys or something.

Oh and another thing I thought I'd add, due to all of the methods we have used to try and fix this, we've gotten him to do a lot of validating here and there and it seems to give him "3 files failed to validate" every time, even from a fresh install, I completely forgot about this until now but I'm betting this has something to do with it.

Edited by Odyssey

Just install OA and OA Beta from steam again, then do same changes as in the picture I posted earlier.

Are you able to downgrade from 108074 when running a patch? Because that's not the version we want.

I don't see a need to run a different beta patch as a client. But yes you can run the version you want, simply delete the beta folder and install the version you want to use. Not sure how steam behaves after that since I launch A2 via shortcut.