Sign in to follow this  
[evo] dan

Arma 3 Repsawn Issues

I have been recently been working on a COOP mission where some players start underwater and others start inside of Marshalls on the water. I have 2 respawn points, one that will be moved around as a MHQ and the other that is based at the submarine. I have been messing around with the description.ext in order to try and get a respawn for me. I am wondering if the information on the BIKI is out of date as well.

I have had a look at https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Respawn on the BIKI, but I have encountered some issues and I would like to know if there is a better way of doing it as I haven't been able to get the respawn to work the way that I want it to.

This is what my description.ext currently looks like:

respawn = 3;
respawnDelay = 5;
respawnDialog = 0;
respawnOnStart = 0;
disabledAI = TRUE;
respawnTemplates[] = {"MenuPosition"};
enableDebugConsole = 1;
corpseLimit = 30;
wreckLimit = 20;
corpseRemovalMinTime = 120;
corpseRemovalMaxTime = 600;
wreckRemovalMinTime = 120;
wreckRemovalMaxTime = 600;

However, the effect that I get at the moment with that is less than desirable. For example, when I host this on my own PC, when I start the mission, I will be spawned at respawn_west and not where the character should start nor in the vehicle I have used a moveInDriver command in the units init field.

What I would like the respawn to do is the following:

-When the mission begins, allow the units to be spawned either in their placed position in the editor, or if they have code to move them into a vehicle within their init field, then to do that.

-On JIP, to do the same.

-When any of the players are killed, allow them to used the menu position to select which spawn they want to use.

Can anybody help me out with this or is it best if I just go with 1 spawn point and use none of the BIS respawn templates for this mission?

Here is a link to the mission if you would like to have a play around with what I am trying to do:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbw8ferf5wz6jvy/EVO_COOP_Stratis_Assault.Stratis.rar

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Hi there :)

You need to add this to the description.ext:

respawnOnStart = 0;

Edit: Sorry, you already got that, I overlooked it.

Maybe respawnOnStart must come after respawnTemplates?

With respawnOnStart = 0 you should start where placed in the editor.

Edited by sxp2high

Hi there :)

You need to add this to the description.ext:

respawnOnStart = 0;

Edit: Sorry, you already got that, I overlooked it.

Maybe respawnOnStart must come after respawnTemplates?

With respawnOnStart = 0 you should start where placed in the editor.

I figured this bit, but I am not sure if the order is important. I do need the respawn to work on both dedi and hosted on local server as thats how I tend to play.

EDIT: Just tested, didn't help. You spawn into the unit, but you spawn at one of the two respawn points.

Edited by [EVO] Dan

You may just have to do an ugly hack and setpos the unit for the first spawn (set a variable so that you know you've done the initial spawn at this point)

Also, I've had lots of problems with the MenuPosition template - but I was also adding spawnpoints on the fly in the mission.

You may just have to do an ugly hack and setpos the unit for the first spawn (set a variable so that you know you've done the initial spawn at this point)

Also, I've had lots of problems with the MenuPosition template - but I was also adding spawnpoints on the fly in the mission.

I wanted to try and avoid having to do that, but I guess its either that, or have a single spawn point and allow you to teleport to the others once spawned.

Pretty sure this is a 'bug' with RespawnTemplates and respawnOnStart = 0; I found the same problem when using respawn_west, respawn_west1, etc as markers in conjunction with respawnTemplates. Have you tried using the editor MP module respawn instead of markers? (note with modules however you cannot 'name' the respawn points like you can with markers)

Pretty sure this is a 'bug' with RespawnTemplates and respawnOnStart = 0; I found the same problem when using respawn_west, respawn_west1, etc as markers in conjunction with respawnTemplates. Have you tried using the editor MP module respawn instead of markers? (note with modules however you cannot 'name' the respawn points like you can with markers)

Come to think of it, no I haven't used the MP respawn module. I take it I can then remove stuff from my description.ext when I use it?

EDIT: Just tried replacing the 2 respawn markers with 2 respawn modules but it still did the same before and only 1 of the respawn points seemed to work.

Edited by [EVO] Dan

Yeah I think you still need the description.ext stuff I assumed the modules would replicate the marker method somehow...ah well :p I think with markers it picks one of the locations at random? You could also use respawnAtStart = 1 but then that might screw up your intro, etc.

Yeah I think you still need the description.ext stuff I assumed the modules would replicate the marker method somehow...ah well :p I think with markers it picks one of the locations at random? You could also use respawnAtStart = 1 but then that might screw up your intro, etc.

Yeah it picked one at random with the markers. Looks like I will have to think of a way around this then since its broken.

Maybe like K0rd suggested.. black screen setpos the unit at first spawn.. fade in.. nothing to see here :p

Maybe like K0rd suggested.. black screen setpos the unit at first spawn.. fade in.. nothing to see here :p

Yeah thats what I am going to do.

I have a follow up on this question about the onPlayerRespawn.sqf.

Are the params being passed through still the same as on the BIKI or is there something wrong with my logic?

onPlayerRespawn.sqf

(first 2 params are the same as are passed into Respawn event handler) [<newUnit>,<oldUnit>,<respawn>,<respawnDelay>]

from https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Respawn

_oldUnit = _this select 1;
_newUnit = _this select 0;
if(_oldUnit == 0) then {
_new moveInCommander "tank1";
hint "move logic";
};
sleep 5;
hint "respawned";

I have an empty vehicle called tank1, I haven't been able to get the unit to move into it. It also doesn't show the 'move logic' hint which suggests its not executing my if statement. I have tried 0 and objNull in my condition and neither of them seemed to work for me. The 'respawned' hint shows up however.

Dan;2701626']I have a follow up on this question about the onPlayerRespawn.sqf.

Are the params being passed through still the same as on the BIKI or is there something wrong with my logic?

onPlayerRespawn.sqf

(first 2 params are the same as are passed into Respawn event handler) [<newUnit>' date=<oldUnit>,<respawn>,<respawnDelay&gt]

from https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Respawn

if(_oldUnit == 0) then {
_new moveInCommander "tank1";
hint "move logic";
};
sleep 5;
hint "respawned";

I have an empty vehicle called tank1, I haven't been able to get the unit to move into it. It also doesn't show the 'move logic' hint which suggests its not executing my if statement. I have tried 0 and objNull in my condition and neither of them seemed to work for me. The 'respawned' hint shows up however.

If I were you, I'd just put a hint format["_oldunit = %1",_oldunit]; in there to see what the var looks like.

If I were you, I'd just put a hint format["_oldunit = %1",_oldunit]; in there to see what the var looks like.

Didn't think of that lol. Will try it tommorrow and report back to see if it needs updating on the BIKI.

I've also heard onPlayerRespawn and onPlayerKilled are somewhat broken right now (since they fixed cfgRespawnTemplates and respawnOnStart).. haven't tested it myself so take that for what it's worth :o

I've also heard onPlayerRespawn and onPlayerKilled are somewhat broken right now (since they fixed cfgRespawnTemplates and respawnOnStart).. haven't tested it myself so take that for what it's worth :o

They fixed the menuPosition spawn issues? I haven't tried with the patch but it was a little weird before the patch but I did manage to get it to respawn properly using onPlayerRespawn, just I named the units as it made it easier to do as the OBJ_NULL gave some stuff after it which prevented it from working correctly. I will be having another look at it the weekend.

Sorry if you mean the random spawn @ start when using respawnTemplates no I don't think that is fixed... I was referring to the respawnOnStart not working properly in prior A3 patches.

You had no problems using onPlayerRespawn though?

You had no problems using onPlayerRespawn though?

Not many, only with OBJ_NULL then some other details following it, but I named my units which is what it returns instead making my life easy. I cant remember if that was before or after the last patch though.

What is the best way to move a respawn point? As the mission progresses I want the respawn to automatically move with the players since on altis on mission I use half the map and it takes forever to drive across the map.

Here is the code I put into onPlayerRespawn.sqf and gives me a if statement that triggers only on loading and JIP:

if(isNull _oldUnit) then 
{
hint "you smell";
};

sleep 5;
hint format ["%1", _oldUnit];
sleep 5;
hint format ["%1", _newUnit];

It does feed back 3 hints, but you can get rid of those. Now I just need a decent way of seeing if a seat on a vehicle is occupied so I can move players into random seats on vehicles.