Sign in to follow this  
meshcarver

O2 SCALE settings upon importing OBJs..?

Hi,

every time I import an OBJ file into O2, my default master scale is set at:

Is this normal/fine..? Or, is it actually scaling the model down by that amount..?

When I try to type in

I get the error you can see on the screen shot?

http://www.meshcarver.com/screenshots/SCALE.jpg

I just wanted to double check this with you guys as it seems abnormal to me..? I don't know...

Thanks for ANY input guys,

Marc

It's a multiplier so if O2 let you set the scale as 0, all verts would have their X,Y,Z coords multiplied by zero and just end up at the origin as a singularity (i.e it would fuck up your models).

If you want the object to import at 100% of the grid scale you modelled the object in with your 3D program of choice, you set the Master Scale to 1, not 0.

But ultimately, the value you use depends on what units you are using for the grid scale in your 3D modelling program. If you're using a centimetre grid, leave it at 0.01 because the O2 grid is fixed in meters (1cm = 0.01 meters). If you modelled in Meter scale, set it to 1. etc. etc.

That's strange, as I'm using Maya and it is set to Meters but it comes out seemingly ok size wise when I put it ingame..?

If it should be 1 as I'm importing from meters then... I'll check tomorrow morning mate, 12:30 here now and I'm babbling but thank you!

You've done a good job of explaining to me, so cheers! :)

I'll let you know...

Edited by meshcarver

I don't understand it now..?

I am modelling in METERS in MAYA, and when I import and change Master Scale to 1 then the object comes in MASSIVE..!? When Master Scale is at 0.01 it comes in seemingly at the correct scale..?

I'm just being extra cautious here, as I thought maybe unseen by me, every time I import with 0.01 objects were being scaled ever so slightly (Which would have obvious implications) and would be slightly smaller/larger than I intend..?

In short, I'm modelling in METERS and importing with Master Scale at 0.01 and it SEEMS correct scale..?

Do you have any explanation for this please..?

I always have some type of problem with .obj imports. Use something else when possible, .3ds is a little better, but I find you always have to do a little work when importing other formats. I usually just scale it down, using a correct size prop or stencil. Just my two cents worth :)

Generally speaking, OBJ has given me zero problems- apart from this little one and I'm not entirely sure it is an issue mate.

I just thought it best to mention here to see what people thought.

Thanks for your input though dude..! ;)