Sign in to follow this  
meshcarver

Accurately rotate Memory points in O2..? :/

Hey up,

I'm trying to create a memory lod, 2 points for a ladder.

I've got it in and working, BUT the unit faces the opposite way when climbing up... I believe this is because the points are not rotated to the correct direction.

So, I selected both point from the top view and RMB + CTRL dragged them and made sure it said 180 in the bottom left box. But, when I take this ingame the unit has moved his direction to some random angle..?

Is there a way to SHOW the direction of vertices (points) in O" please or simply- how to rotate the points so they're facing in the correct direction? It's bloody annoying lol...

Cheers,

Marc

There's a discrete (X,Y,Z) rotate tool in the Edit Toolbar ([Ctrl+E] toggles the Edit Toolbar so you can spot it more easily). It's the middle one of the three yellow cube icons (the others being discrete translation, and discrete scale). It's exact, unlike the [Ctrl+RMB] freehand rotation tool. Just enter the rotation value you want (degrees) in whatever axis you want the points to rotate through.

You could probably also use Points\Transform 2D\Mirror X/Mirror Y to flip the orientation of the two points if you wanted. Here, the X and Y in question are the horizontal and vertical axes of the viewport you are working in, rather than those in the global X,Y,Z grid.

By default, all these tools use the geometric centre of your current selection as the pivot point which is fine for a selection of just two verts. However, you can move this pivot point if you need to rotate objects around another point of reference by activating the pin with [Shift+C], and moving it to the centre of a sub-selection of verts by pressing [C]. The pin will stay there until you move it and will be the active pivot point for all tools until you deactivate it with [Shift+C] again. So just re-select the objects you want to move and they will transform relative to the pin position.

Edited by da12thMonkey

Hi man,

thanks for that, but is there also ANY way to see what direction the verts are facing..? It is pretty annoying that it's trial and error at the moment...

Ok, just tried these and different methods for 3 hours now, still no joy..!!!

Please tell me there's a way to SEE the direction the verts are facing..?

The unit climbs the ladder facing backwards, so I assume I go into TOP view and rotate in the Y 180 degrees, is that correct? If so, it's not working- sometimes he doesn't even change the way he's facing even if I type in a random angle?

Please help, this is a waste of time as time's really precious to me at the moment..!

Thanks anyway dude!

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

Damn, this is getting ridiculous now... :(

Sometimes when I rotate either by hand or using the discreet rotate numerically etc it always stays so the unit is facing backwards to the ladder..!?!?!?

There MUST be something amiss here surely, I mean- I only want to rotate a bloody vertice lol..!!! :(

maybe try having the memory point as part of a polygon, maybe it would help because I don't think verts have any kind of 'axis' outside of their normals that they have when in a polygon. Also, make sure they aren't perfectly vertical, the ladder points should be "leaning" with the start point farther out and the end point closer to the structure.

SAKURA I WANT YOUR BABIES..!!! :D

Thank you man, appreciated..!

It seems you have to just move the bottom vert out slightly so it ISN'T directly under the top one- or vice versa.

Goddamn, that was bloody frustrating though, jeez...

Knowing this, what I think was happening was something that happens with IK stuff too- Gimbal Lock, where two points are in the same position on one axis and it doesn't know which way to face them. Maybe anyway...

Thanks again Sakura, and thanks too to M1lkm8n who offered help before..!

...phew...