Sign in to follow this  
bravo409

Speeding up time in game magically makes those graphic fps issues no problem

I found this by just messing around in the game that speeding up the game with the plus sign that fps issues go away no lag and or stuttering... This is kinda strange cause it ran like a super computer... I know that this does make the game go quick but thing im getting at the graphic issue seemed to not make a difference at that point but soon as I brought it back to regular speed graphic issue took over again and regular fps problems came back. Seems to me if the game has such high demand on cpu that it is hard to run the game on regular seems to me it should have the same issue with speeding up time. Reason I'm saying this is it's using the same cpu power yes so why does it have fps issues in regular game speed just odd maybe its a problem maybe not so just putting this out there.

When I used to play on my laptop, I found the same thing. I was lagging a lot during combat or in cities but when I speed up to 4x it kind of made it like regular speed with few lags. I tried it recently but didn't see much of a difference. But conditions were different so who knows.

Just speculations on my part, but maybe speeding up the game reduce some of the simulation aspects? AI get lower path finding abilities etc.

So your fps will increase because there is less strain on the CPU.

Just speculations on my part, but maybe speeding up the game reduce some of the simulation aspects? AI get lower path finding abilities etc.

So your fps will increase because there is less strain on the CPU.

I'd have to agree AI become less accurate especially at driving and flying.

Doesn't Speedx4 result in framesx4 in the gamers eye? With croppy 15 FPS you're getting 60 FPS but for the cost of Altis beeing a Benny Hill Show?

If this is correct it could be showing that the slowdowns are caused by bad progamming making the engine stand still and idle while waiting for something else to finish instead of your CPU not being able to handle it.

This means: BI should divide every speed in the game by four, and always speed the game up.

And if the increased framerate you mentioned is related to a lowered AI complexity - I would always prefer a smooth game experience than the current instant headshot AI..

I would always prefer a smooth game experience than the current instant headshot AI..

AI accuracy has nothing to do with AI complexity. An AI with less complexity could still instant headshot you. The difference is that they would be much dumber in other ways, including poor driving ability that leads to hitting obstacles and wrecking, and delayed or nonsensical reactions.

The goal with AI optimization is not to make the AI dumber. That's a step backwards. The strategy is to make the current methods faster. For example, the new pathfinding that the DayZ team are working on could be a possible performance gain for Arma 3.

What I found is quite interesting to say the least. This could be ground braking for this not to having anything to do with cpu issues but the engine it's self. If my find is as what we all on this thread think it is then folks BI is going to have to fix the engine which in return either is going to shut the game down or they are going say on to the next. We all can test this theory and see for ourselves that this is really happening and cpu is truly not the issue here at all. One of the reasons it really caught my eye was I always have major fps drop around the town areas and then when I get in the opening fps is back up. I know some of you probably thinking its all the objects rendering but when you speed up time in the town areas and can run like your playing crysis 2 then there is something seriously wrong here. I thought to myself this must be what it is like to play this some super powered nasa computer but I digress. This issue needs to be looked at this is why I put this in DEV forum hopefully this will shed some light on this fps issue we all have seen thank you lets hope for the best. I will put this as a ticket too lets see what happens. Bravo409 out.....

Does the Engine calculate the whole AI Behaviour to every single frame? This would be too much.

The human reaction time is larger than 1/30 or even 1/60s. It would be perfect for the pathfinding if the AI would only calculate their new ways about 4 times a second. And for the frames where it does not calculate a new way it just moves in the same direction as in the frames before. It would also be possible to lower this refresh time for AI that is far away from the player.

Truth is we don't have any idea how the engine works... some word from BIS about what exactly is causing the drawing delay of every frame would be nice but I doubt they even know themselves. That's what happens without any good optimization software.

Something is clearly delaying everything else though because what we are seeing on screen is not something that should be as hard on our computers as it is and we see awful scaling across different hardware.

Speeding up the game makes it faster!

Genius.

The problem with it going fast like that is ai don't call out targets..also ai skills may diminish ..testing will prove that or it could be quite the opposite. Keep this thread alive maybe BI will look into it. I already sent a ticket

Make test cases where you can compare behaviors during the speedup and normal speed. If there is a simplified simulation then maybe we should have it in the settings(Max Physics sim. delta time, Max AI sim. delta time) and players can decrease these to gain more in single player FPS. My second tip is that the simulation and the rendering is joined somehow and the engine can't render as much image as want.

I'm not a game developer, but this is an interesting thing.

I just tested last night my theory on a town in stratis which gives me 25 fps and, when a lot of fighting starts 15fps. I pushed that magic button (+) and bang speed of my gun was faster and I could run through town with no lag or stuttering this is the craziest thing I have ever found in gaming..Keep this thread alive people in hopes we can get a fix to fps issues. Thanks again for reading and understanding this theory I have come upon..

I just tested last night my theory on a town in stratis which gives me 25 fps and, when a lot of fighting starts 15fps. I pushed that magic button (+) and bang speed of my gun was faster and I could run through town with no lag or stuttering this is the craziest thing I have ever found in gaming..Keep this thread alive people in hopes we can get a fix to fps issues. Thanks again for reading and understanding this theory I have come upon..

Did the fps increased too?

For what it's worth, slowing time also increases FPS.

Not on My pc.

For me using in a simple 100 vs 100 AI test:

setAccTime 4.00 => 15 FPS

setAccTime 1.00 => 10 FPS

setAccTime 0.25 => 25 FPS

setAccTime 0.01 => 50 FPS

I would guess the additional work being placed on the OPs machine is causing it to come out of a low power state and give him more performance.

Seems as though this is all related to the simulation being tied to the renderer in some way. BIS should seriously look at decoupling these two things, as mentioned was going to happen in DayZ.

Thanks guys for keeping this thread alive....power of people my fix this problem...

Seems as though this is all related to the simulation being tied to the renderer in some way. BIS should seriously look at decoupling these two things, as mentioned was going to happen in DayZ.

this! I have been a fan of arma for years and have never once heard an explanation why the two are tied together. have they ever tried to seperate the two?

Thanks guys for your input....I sent this in as a ticket and they are reviewing lets hope they find something....Keep this thread alive remember we are power more people speak about this more attention it will get keep it up.