Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

Steam In-Home Streaming and Arma 3

Steam made the In-Home Streaming available for everyone now:

http://store.steampowered.com/streaming/

This is actually quite impressing! For a long time I thought about buying a new gaming laptop (beside my desktop) to be able to edit in the family room, while my wife watches TV. ;) But now Arma 3 runs even on my old and crappy notebook and (as far as I tested it) it seems to be quite fluid.

One thing though I couldn't get working - maybe you can help me with that...

Since I make missions (editing), I use Notepad++ and the windows explorer besides Arma. Up to now I couldn't get OUT of the Arma stream on the laptop, since the game runs there in FULLSCREEN only.

If I press ALT+TAB, the laptop recognizes the key-combination (not the host where Arma and Notepad++ are running) and will leave the stream.

Solutions which didn't work:

• To run Notepad++ on the laptop makes no sense to me, as the scripts need to be right where Arma is (that is: on the host :) ).
  • I tried the Windows remote desktop control, but as soon as I start controling my desktop PC from the laptop, the desktop's screen will lock, resulting in the Steam-stream quitting.
  • I tried TeamViewer and it worked as I wanted, but the Steam-stream's quality went from good to crappy since TeamViewer demands a lot of traffic (it also streams Arma after all). So this is not a good solution as well.

The best would be a command in Steam-stream to exit the fullscreen, but AFAIK this is not possible at the moment.

Any ideas how to stream a full editing workspace via Steam? :)

Edited by Undeceived

I might not be the brightest regarding such things but wouldn't it work if you made the folder where you have your missions to edit available as a network drive and run NP++ local on your laptop, saving to the network drive?

Myke;2695480']I might not be the brightest regarding such things but wouldn't it work if you made the folder where you have your missions to edit available as a network drive and run NP++ local on your laptop' date=' saving to the network drive?[/quote']

this is how I operate under a similar setup and it works very well.

So basically I can hook a craptastic laptop up to the giant living room TV and play games there using my actual computer as the driver for it?

Yeah, that's how it works.

I set up the old laptop in the living room yesterday, but somehow the delay / lag was bigger than the day before, when I tested it right next to my PC. Do you think that that the length of the network cable could be related to that? The ones I used for the living room, were much longer..

eis0.jpg 1hgb.jpg

I tested this last Saturday. At home i have gigabytelan over cable. Worked really good. In the mission editor he found my missions i stored on my pc, very nice. But i didnt tested it yet but iam very sure you will have problems with teamspeak and task force radio or acre.