NeoArmageddon

Atomic Bomb - Module and Zeus (WIP)

Heyho,

I started upgrading the original nuke effect from Eagle Wing and ported to ArmA3 by moerderhoschi with new effects, improvements and additional scripting.

This is what I have so far:

This is what I have done:

• Added shockwave (blast and dust on the ground)
  • Added a sound from original bomb footage (slightly edited by me)
  • Added more realistic damaging (seen in the third video only)
  • Added speed of sound simulation.
  • Added heateffects and fireballs
  • Rebalanced all effects and timings. Also reduced and removed unnecessary effects.
  • Created an addon version with a Zeus module and a regular module that can be triggered.

I am not done yet. I want to improve the overall effect of the mushroomcloud and add more realistic simulation. I don't like that you can see those little cloudlets but balancing this stiff is tricky.

I also want to port the effects to effect template in config to make use some advanced parameters.

Maybe I am also creating a fallout module.

Credits so far:

- moerderhoschi for porting the original script to ArmA3

- chessmaster42 for his clean Curator Presets Module config I used as example for my own module.

- Name for having no BAS.

What do you guys think so far?

EDIT:

Downloadlink for testing added to this post: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?178101-Atomic-Bomb-Module-and-Zeus-(WIP)&p=2719191&viewfull=1#post2719191

Edited by NeoArmageddon

Very nice! The sound effect is alright, but it does sound recorded.

The nuke looks awesome though, the shock wave and improved damaging is very impressive!

It was possible to have different version even if not finish ?

I explain, the first is very very nice with a splash on the ground and a small time (smal time = nice performance for a server for me). I want iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit :yay:

The 2, i don't like.

The 3 is like with splash fog but the explosion is strange and we see less the splash ground in the beginning.

The perfect way is to combine the 1 and 3 to have a very nice splash ground effect and fog after :)

I really like the shockwave effect you've done, but in my humble opinion, this actually looks better:

Yours has a very weird shape on the mushroom cloud. And Panda's nuke has these cool secondary shockwave's higher up in the sky.

I explain, the first is very very nice with a splash on the ground and a small time (smal time = nice performance for a server for me). I want iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit :yay:

The 2, i don't like.

The 3 is like with splash fog but the explosion is strange and we see less the splash ground in the beginning.

The perfect way is to combine the 1 and 3 to have a very nice splash ground effect and fog after :)

They are all the exact same effect. The first two with a different perspective and the third with additional destruction of objects and buildings. The destruction takes some FPS and thus the effect looks quite different because the some clouds get destroyed on favor of the building destruction effects and some effects are slowed down.

I really like the shockwave effect you've done, but in my humble opinion, this actually looks better:

I also saw this video. But if you ask me, the cloud is to dark and huge for a area of destruction possible in Arma. But I want to improve my mushroomcloud so the head looks more like that in the video... especially the motion and convection.

And always rember: Too many effects/drops and Arma just won't display them. I have to work in some limits here.

I also saw this video. But if you ask me, the cloud is to dark and huge for a area of destruction possible in Arma. But I want to improve my mushroomcloud so the head looks more like that in the video... especially the motion and convection.

And always rember: Too many effects/drops and Arma just won't display them. I have to work in some limits here.

It could be argued that Arma is to limited to actually model a nuclear detonation realistically. I mean if we're honest, most modern nuclear weapons could easily wipe out the entire island of Altis, and anything within 5 miles of the coast. The nuke as presented by you and Panda probably just scratches the 1 kiloton mark on a real life scale. Whilst most modern nukes run into several megatons. I mean take for instance the B-83, a well known air delivered nuclear bomb, with a max blast of 1,2 megaton, small compared to the firepower in lets say an avarge ICBM, but still 1200 times more powerfull than this. Having said that, it is still pretty cool :P. Good luck with it!

It'd be nice to have some sort of EMP along with the nuke strike that kills vehicles and whatnot. Imagine flying a rescue chopper out of there and having your engine stop when it detonates.

And I'm not sure if you can simulate the aftereffects, if you want something like a sky filled with ash and whatnot. Post processing or whatever.

And I'm not sure if you can simulate the aftereffects, if you want something like a sky filled with ash and whatnot. Post processing or whatever.

That's already in it but commted out for taking the videos.

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

Just for refrence here are some shots and videos of ~1-15kt tests

Upshot Knothole Grable (artillery fired gun-type, 15kt)

Operation Hardtack, includes some footage of the W-54, or 'Davy Crockett' device

Some footage of an exercise with real troops supported by LIVE nuclear weapons... for some reason

Hope this helps!

Nice sound. Like it! Maybe the frequency is a little bit to high. Except the shockwave the sound should be mostly transported by low frequency waves in the ground. A little bit more rumbling could be a nice touch to it.

If you think the sound is ready, just sent me a link via PM and I will include it in the script.

I know what you mean =] let me retouch it a bit.

Edit: Here is the sample.

:link removed by, updated:

I made it downloadable directly from the site.

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

I made multiple versions of the file, for different ranges.

Don't know if you would be able to do that but if so there you go =]

https://soundcloud.com/verbemusic/sets/arma-3-nuke-mod

(updated.)

Edited by mythlawlbear

I made multiple versions of the file, for different ranges.

Don't know if you would be able to do that but if so there you go =]

https://soundcloud.com/verbemusic/sets/arma-3-nuke-mod

I like it. And much better than my own sound :D Will plug it in later. Using different sounds for different ranges is no problem :D

Its a pretty good effect, the sound isn't good though. There needs to be more bass and there needs to be supersonic ground rumble

PCAWqSNHRmI

The effect needs a few things, like the whiteout effect needs to come in and fade out slower, there needs to be a very bright lightpoint in there (you can have lights and light flares that shine in the daylight) and the "fire" part needs to be tweaked to use the emissivecolor property so it will give it a real glow instead of looking like yellow and red smoke.

god damn thats a good sound, yeah I would use that ^ lol

Ima gonna watch a lot of videos on nukes and Ima try to get the perfect sound for this, That video sounds good but its missing the highs.

Edited by mythlawlbear

Okay so after watching like 20 nuke explosions. I've reworked the sound and split it up differently.

There is three components to a nuke explosion.

1: The sound of the explosions which depending on range is usually heard after the bright light effect.

2: The shock wave sound which is instant once it reaches it's audible point (person/mic/ect)

3: The rumble effect which is caused by the sheer force of the nukes explosion.

Here is the updated sample

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32SF0E9JxOM

And here are the sound files as follow.

1/3:Core Sound (Initial explosion rumble and fade)

https://soundcloud.com/verbemusic/nuke-core-1

2:Shockwave (Should be audible when it reaches player.)

https://soundcloud.com/verbemusic/shockwave-1

1:Water Nuke (Incase nuke is thrown onto water)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwhxyxeet5wdmwu/Water%20Nuke.mp3

I couldnt upload it to sound cloud for some reason so I put it in my dropbox.

Edited by mythlawlbear

That's quite good. But the rumble needs to be more subtle. See the rumble is cause because of the force of the explosion, sends soundwaves not only thrue the air, but also thrue the ground. And because the earth is much denser than the atmosphere, the sound travels faster. However! The rumble that you hear is not the from the ground itself, you can only hear that if you were to put you ear against the ground. But the rumble is actually the vibration of the air that is caused by the virbration of the ground underneath. Are you following me? So what you hear is infact soundwaves that travel thrue air, but they are caused by the rumbeling earth underneath your feet.

So I think the initial rumble after the lightflash should be a little softer, more monotone. The example that Sakura posted was very good in my opinion.

That's sience people :P

Edited by CyclonicTuna

Oh my god that clip is so gorgeous. How the shockwave moves those collums of smoke when it passes.

There's something eerily serene and gorgeous about the massive destruction that is a nuclear explosion. There's so many weird and awesome effects going on as the fireball rises and into the atmosphere, makes you realize what kind of a release of energy it really is.

Edited by CyclonicTuna

i think it might be an idea to look into the lighting and simulweather stuff (depending of wether its meant to be a mod and how the effect can be implemented into gameplay), there might be plenty of possibilitys to create an even more impressive effect, maybe its not necessarry to rely exclusively on armas old ass stock particle effects with some post processing... or maybe even create a p3d with a really light emitting object that has compareable propertys as the sun object with custom halo/flare etc etc and create custom particle sprites.

pay attention from around 2:00:

p.s. seriously i cant see these paticle effects anymore :(

Edited by Fabio_Chavez