Sign in to follow this  
atomickrypton

ArmA 3 Mission Intro Text Help

Hello, so I have been working on a mission for A3, and I would like to have a type writer like effect when the player is put in the mission. However, I want it to activate when the player exits the building (I am assuming I'll put a trigger outside of the building), so an init.sqf file won't work (not that I know of). An example of this would be like this [ http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/6717/missionamehere.jpg ] however, I would like the A3 "version" of this. I can't get an example of it, but it is like the picture in the link...if you load up a campaign mission, it'll display once you're actually playing the mission. IIRC, it'll display something along the lines of: [Date, Location, Rally Point/ LZ]. If any of you guys can assist me with this that'd be fantastic. Thanks in advance for any help you can bring.

What you can do is play the campaign mission that has that thing in it that you want. Then, locate missions_f_epa.pbo in your ArmA 3/Addons/ folder.

Unpack it with pbomanager and do a search on all files for the text that showed in the campaign. Maybe you will get lucky and find the script. Then you can use it :)

Some of the code from missions of the campaign have really cool stuff you can use. That's how I found some of my ideas for a mission :)

I think this is what you are looking for:

Make a text like this and save it as Text1.sqf, place it in the mission folder.

["Have","a","nice day"] spawn BIS_fnc_infoText;

Then in the editor create a trigger with this in its activation field:

_y1=execVM "Text1.sqf"

It only shows a short moment. I don't think it's possible to increase the time.

I think this is what you are looking for:

Make a text like this and save it as Text1.sqf, place it in the mission folder.

["Have","a","nice day"] spawn BIS_fnc_infoText;

Then in the editor create a trigger with this in its activation field:

_y1=execVM "Text1.sqf"

It only shows a short moment. I don't think it's possible to increase the time.

Thanks for the reply! I tried that, and unfortunately, the text I want to display is too long (the words get cut off). Thanks anyways, and I'll refer back to this if I need to.

lucky for you, one of my favourite things to do lately is create intros for our MP missions. here is a link to my compilation so far

now in the first intro the text I used is bis_fnc_infotext.

here is an example which provides mission name, date, and location (location only works on stratis or altis, will read "near camp rogain" etc)

[str ("Mission Name Here") , str(date select 1) + "." + str(date select 2) + "." + str(date select 0), str("Mission Location Here")] spawn BIS_fnc_infoText;

info_text is the old method. bis_fnc_typetext is far better

[ [ ["UKRAINE"], ["JUNE 2015"], ["1700hrs", "<t align = 'center' shadow = '1' size = '0.7' font=puristaMedium'>%1</t>", 70] ] , 1, 0.75, "<t align = 'center' shadow = '1' size = '1.0'>%1</t>" ] spawn BIS_fnc_typeText;

in the above, the "70" is how long all the text stays on the screen. it is not 70 seconds, 70 is probably 10 seconds or so.

you don't need all that fancy stuff, I set it up a while ago and forgot what it means, but that's how I got the text to show on the bottom right.

here is an example that will show the words "hello" in red and underlined

[ [ ["<t color='#ff1111' underline = '1'>HELLO</t>", "<t align = 'center' shadow = '1' size = '0.7' font='puristaMedium'>%1</t>", 70] ] , 1, 0.75, "<t align = 'center' shadow = '1' size = '1.0'>%1</t>"] spawn BIS_fnc_typeText;

good luck!

• Like 3

lucky for you, one of my favourite things to do lately is create intros for our MP missions. here is a link to my compilation so far

here is an example which provides mission name, date, and location (location only works on stratis or altis, will read "near camp rogain" etc)

[str ("Mission Name Here") , str(date select 1) + "." + str(date select 2) + "." + str(date select 0), str("Mission Location Here")] spawn BIS_fnc_infoText;

[ [ ["UKRAINE"], ["JUNE 2015"], ["1700hrs", "<t align = 'center' shadow = '1' size = '0.7' font=puristaMedium'>%1</t>", 70] ] , 1, 0.75, "<t align = 'center' shadow = '1' size = '1.0'>%1</t>" ] spawn BIS_fnc_typeText;

in the above, the "70" is how long all the text stays on the screen. it is not 70 seconds, 70 is probably 10 seconds or so.

you don't need all that fancy stuff, I set it up a while ago and forgot what it means, but that's how I got the text to show on the bottom right.

[ [ ["<t color='#ff1111' underline = '1'>HELLO</t>", "<t align = 'center' shadow = '1' size = '0.7' font='puristaMedium'>%1</t>", 70] ] , 1, 0.75, "<t align = 'center' shadow = '1' size = '1.0'>%1</t>"] spawn BIS_fnc_typeText;

good luck!

Thank you for those scripts, and good work on the compilation video as well! Anyways, I tried out this script and I ran into a bit of a problem:

[ [ ["UKRAINE"], ["JUNE 2015"], ["1700hrs", "<t align = 'center' shadow = '1' size = '0.7' font='puristaMedium'>%1</t>", 70] ] , 1, 0.75, "<t align = 'center' shadow = '1' size = '1.0'>%1</t>" ] spawn BIS_fnc_typeText;

It appears that the text is being displayed off screen. I'm able to see the first part of the first letter in UKRAINE and JUNE, but aside from that, I can't see the rest. Putting a crap load of spaces after each word/ time seems to work (takes a while), but obviously there is an easier/ better way to do so. Can you provide any assistance here? Thanks in advance.

that's strange, what resolution and screen size u running? I hope this doesn't happen to other players when watching the intros.

where u see 1, 0.75 - the 1 refers to left and right and the .75 is height. so u just have to play around with it

---------- Post added at 11:10 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

its weird because the values should be relative to your screen, placing it off screen just doesn't make sense. its as though you are playing the game with a limited view of what u are supposed to be seeing...? maybe play around with ur video settings if its a problem

Thanks for the reply! I am running a 1920x1080 [16:9] resolution. I'll go back and mess around with the values of the script. It may be a problem with my video settings, because in your video, everything was aligned correctly. I'll edit the post if/when I get it.

EDIT: It worked! I changed the 1 value to .7 and it fits perfectly (to me that is). Thanks a bunch for the help! Maybe my interface size could have been a problem, but I have it at normal. Anyways, it works and that's all that matters.

Edited by AtomicKrypton

[ [ ["UKRAINE"], ["JUNE 2015"], ["1700hrs", "<t align = 'center' shadow = '1' size = '0.7' font='puristaMedium'>%1</t>", 70] ] , 1, 0.75, "<t align = 'center' shadow = '1' size = '1.0'>%1</t>" ] spawn BIS_fnc_typeText;

good luck!

Where do I place this to show at mission start and do you set those custom intro screens and cinematic?

Where do I place this to show at mission start and do you set those custom intro screens and cinematic?

Init.sqf for the text stuff.

Google camera.sqs tutorial for the cinematics.

I didn't check to see if u found the answer but I was just working on this & found this which helped me out: