Sign in to follow this  
Victim9l3

"Follow" waypoint

Does anyone know how this new waypoint is used?

I'm thinking it would make sense to sync it to a group or unit.

Like if I give a "follow" waypoint to group A, then I sync it to group B. group A follows group b wherever it goes? Then how would you disconnect?

Anyone know how to use it?

Well, after trying, you can't sync it to anything.

--------------------------------------This last edit is for anyone interested in the answer without reading everything.

The follow waypoint is for helicopters (haven't checked fixedwing). Select the heli, then when you give it waypoints, you click directly on the vehicle you want the heli to follow (just like a "getin" waypoint) and select "follow". The heli will follow that vehicle, however clumsily.

I have not yet tried to get it to follow a single person, so I don't know if it works with them.

Edited by Victim9l3
answer

Quick question, where do I find said waypoint? We're talking about the editor right?

Said waypoint is in the editor just below "loiter". I have tried placing it on units too and it does nothing.

Have you tried syncing the waypoint with the unit you want it to follow?

Said waypoint is in the editor just below "loiter". I have tried placing it on units too and it does nothing.

There is nothing below loiter.... At least not for me :\

Dan;2694447']Have you tried syncing the waypoint with the unit you want it to follow?

If you read the entire first post, you have your answer.

I DID FIND A USE.

I thought about how the "loiter" waypoint was for helicopters so I tried it with a heli. I created a Mora, I gave it some waypoints. I created a Hellcat, and with waypoint selected I clicked on top of the Mora with the follow waypoint. So the Hellcats first waypoint was on top of the Mora.

The helicopter, very clumsily, followed the Mora wherever it went. :)

So I guess its' a helicopter waypoint. The problem is that it does not fly smoothly. It flies with constant stopping. Bi needs to make it so the heli can fly at slower speeds so that it can be a smooth ride. There is also another problem that really should be fixed with ground vehicle waypoints. They always stop at every single waypoint. You can set up triggers to switch waypoints before the vehicle gets there but it doesn't always work. Especially with short distances.

Another bigger issue is that ground vehicles need to have a reliable way of getting from one waypoint to another in direct pathways. They constantly drive to roads if roads are anywhere near their path. VEHICLES HAVE TERRIBLE STARTS. I have spent too long on a mission trying to get a couple Moras to drive straight, from start to first waypoint 100 meters away. Every time they start they turn and drive 30 meters to the right (usually to the right) then move to the waypoint from that position. Regardless of mode.

The reason I bring that up is because the helicopter looks stupid following a vehicle because you are forced to give the vehicle too many waypoints just to stay on course.

And if you can't find the follow waypoint, I am using the dev branch.

Vehicles should disregard roads if you put their behavior past Safe, ie Aware or Combat. The AI continously looks out for the fastest way to get to the destination, and since roads are faster than going over dirt they're going to be using them if their destination is far away. Them stopping at waypoints is annoying, especially at turns, but easily fixable. If you've got a turn coming up, place the waypoint just short of it (5-10m). Convoy will halt for a minute until the AI has processed the new waypoint, and then turn (relatively) smooth. Also, the more waypoints vehicles have, the more micro-management, the more processing time is needed. So for best results, give the AI some space and place as few waypoints as possible along the way.

And yeah, about the helicopters, they move independent of other vehicles. Maybe limiting their speed could help with that, but then they'd probably just plunge to their death eventually.