alexboy

C-RAM (Counter Rocket, Artillery, and Mortar)

@Chortles I have tried desperately to get MMA to work into Arma 3, but there is just sooo much code to go over exactly I changed all the Dirs to see if it would actually just work. Just for trial reasons... but it would never actually activate during game start... so you would have to ask mma to try to implement... but ya i did see that changing the missiles and all... but I would rather try to do it how the real phalanx system does it, by using radar, kinematics, dynamics, etc... basically sense it firing then calculating interception points and firing....

later on I am goign to try to incorporate a missile interception (phalanx system) fires a missile at a incomming missile to destroy it...

but ya I am trying to implement all flying objects mostly... like Artillery, planes/helicopters, bombs, missiles, etc...

that will be future. First trying to get the system running then adding all the "pretty" additions.

• Like 1

Mandoble posted once since 2011, so it's clear that MMA's dormant if not outright dead, and without him having publicly passed on the rights to someone else a would-be spiritual successor would have to start all over since they can't just use his code. :(

From what I recall, he was replacing BI's missiles with objects that used the visual appearance of the vanilla or third-party missiles whose classnames were called via the _missilebody variable*, hence why MMA missiles could be 'detected/targeted' for MMA weapons (

's one such interception in ArmA) rather than being treated as 'guided' bullets. I see what you say about preferring to have your Phalanx "sense it firing", but remember that what you're doing is already a workaround to begin with so that the end user doesn't see the difference (between how the Phalanx CIWS appears to behave w/ expected effect and how it's supposed to work IRL)...

For some technical insight for your readers, is there any particular reason that your existing methods (vs. rockets, artillery, mortars) aren't 1:1 reusable against missiles, or were missiles simply lower-priority?

* Since the variable supported both ammo and vehicle classnames, there's

This is pretty amazing.

I wonder since this mod tracks incoming mortar fire it is probably possible to somehow use the functionality of this mod to create a counter battery radar that would locate the incoming mortar and then display on the map the suspected location on the map where the artillery originated from.

@Chortles To answer your last question, I just never implemented missiles into the firing system. The reasoning behind that was because missiles move alot faster than mortors and bombs, so I was trying to finished the mortors to its highest possibility then implementing the missiles and re-configuring to make it work for both. its not that its a low-priority its just trying to make my coding work with what it has (easier) than step up to something that moves faster.

But for the "replacing BI's missiles with objects that used the visual appearance of the vanilla or third-party missiles", that would require me to reconfig / remodel every missile, mortor, and so on in the game so that I can be able to target it.

correct?

I dont have the skill to model something to that accuracy, nor the time to actually do somthing like that. If someone is willing to do that I could possibly have a better chance in doing this.

----edit----

I looked into what MMA did (just for reference) in mando_replacemissile.sqf all he changes is some variables... (speed, max speed, accelleration, boomrange, etc, if anything i see is _intercept=true; being somthing worthy to look at but no idea what it means.... but for detectable he puts false... whats confusing me is what he actually changed to make the missiles to be 'detected/targeted'

Edited by alexboy

@Chortles To answer your last question, I just never implemented missiles into the firing system. The reasoning behind that was because missiles move alot faster than mortors and bombs, so I was trying to finished the mortors to its highest possibility then implementing the missiles and re-configuring to make it work for both. its not that its a low-priority its just trying to make my coding work with what it has (easier) than step up to something that moves faster.

But for the "replacing BI's missiles with objects that used the visual appearance of the vanilla or third-party missiles", that would require me to reconfig / remodel every missile, mortor, and so on in the game so that I can be able to target it.

correct?

I dont have the skill to model something to that accuracy, nor the time to actually do somthing like that. If someone is willing to do that I could possibly have a better chance in doing this.

It doesn't look like you would have to do all that, but I wasn't specifically looking for that method either! If your current method is simpler (both for yourself and for others to learn from) then I would prefer your current approach and I do not begrudge your prioritizing of the counter-mortar simulation first. :)

Its all good haha, but honestly that way may be quicker to "track/target", if you could figure out how he exactly changed the missiles/ammo around so that they could be trackable. That would seriously make a difference in how fast this scripting could go, and how efficient it will be. To be honest his scripting looked "easier" just by having one script that changes the config of the weapons to be able to be tracked...

Maybe if you could find that, i could implement it. or if anyone could find out how

---------------edit-----------

I been looking into MMA for hours on end for 2 days and still havent found out how he exactly changed the config of the missiles to make them mandoble missiles rather than vanilla missiles... i see areas he could have possibly changed it, but have not officially been able to put this into arma 3.

Edited by alexboy

I been trying two ways for the C-ram...

1. If anyone knows how to attach an object to a bullet, please contact me... everytime I try this it fails misserably... and the object doesnt attach to the bullet (missile/artillery) at all... it only attaches to it at that one second and stays in that possition...

2. If someone knows how to create a missile that can be targeted like how MMA is able to.

If you know how to do this, could you message me with the script.

or if you know how to code kinematics and all or something similar to this for trajectory (i do, but i havent had success making it work perfectly)

update- been messing around with the script, and its able to target missiles (AG mostly) and bombs. This wont be released till i can have a better version, because it is very glitchy and has lots of errors in how it works.. cross your fingers

How do you get the c-ram to shoot at mortars?

Refer to my earlier post here

Also, if you scroll down a little ways you will see how I figured out how to get the CRAM to fire.

Hey I just downloaded the mod, the CRAM seems to work against enemy units but it doesn't seem to target rockets/artillery/mortars.

Also there's no firing sound for the gun. Did I install something wrong?

Please refer to@dixon13 post

Sorry for delay... I been working and school so don't have much time for here but doing my best now on to check it, hopefully in a few months we can get an update out with a better script. Fingers crossed

• Like 1

Possible, new release in the near future.

I been fondling with the code here and there and have reformated it to process a way lot faster, and has a better chance of taking down incoming rounds including - Bombs, AG/AA Missiles (launched from aircraft), RPG rounds (shot from personal), Rocket (MLRS - still making this better), Artillery - ( Mortar / Sorchar)

Better functionality so that the target is aimed at and destroyed, different hit counts for different types of targets (i.e. AG/AA have low hits, do to their speed, contact of bullets would tear it apart.  Mortars - have a higher hit count, due to their metal and their slow speed)

Sound - (WIP) I have a sound man working on creating a custom sound for this addon, hopefully he will finish soon. Will try to contact him.

Explosive rounds - deleted for now - due to the ammount of explosions that would be accuring, for computer processing.

I will see if i can upload a video of the process of the guns

Thanks for all your support

• Like 4

Thank you for a wonderful add-on, but I still have no sound when firing from the main gun, as well as there is no sound from the hit. There is only the sound of firing missiles. Arma 3. 1.48. When using addon DragonFyre sounds appear, but not like in your video.

• Like 1

Thank you for a wonderful add-on, but I still have no sound when firing from the main gun, as well as there is no sound from the hit. There is only the sound of firing missiles. Arma 3. 1.48. When using addon DragonFyre sounds appear, but not like in your video.

Same here  :( 

any chance to make this open source .. it seems you have a few people that want to fix it?

Sorry for the long delay in response, my computer broke down and have been trying to get the files back.... luckily i had a back up for the c-ram but havent seen how old the code of it is... 

Open source, I dont really know about, due to the model being not mine and I only have permission for it.... but the code, I will be willing to post the config code, so if you guys wanna see if you can find anything wrong.

As for the sound, it is a custom sound that uses no sound mod at all, its just the gatling sound that is inside the addon file, sometimes it messes up, thats why I went out to see if a sound guy could make one that works with it... but sadly never got a response back.

I can see if i have time to load it in my game again and if it works ill contact armaholic dev with an updated version so you guys can have a better sound..

I apologize, and i know if i was in your position id be anxious and annoyed that it hasnt been fixed... appreciate that you guys like the addon.

... sometimes it messes up.

... so you guys can have a better sound

Glad to see you back. It's not about sometime or better. It totally has no sound at all. Just missile firing sound that I know it's a vanilla thing. I knew that sound files are in PBO file but I never understood why I can hear them in game. Please just make'em work and release an update.

I think the new sound update a while back ended up ruining the sound file, due to them changing the file name i believe... But now I have the sounds working now. I downloaded the one off the website, and saw a lot of issue - no sound, doesnt target artillery, doesnt show where artillery rounds are so that players can target each one individually by themselves..... 

I apologize for this, i believed it was perfect, I should have check what I gave out to ensure it was the right file... My bad

I have been working on this addon on/off since last update.... If I dont say so my self, it is running a lot better, is able to take down rounds on Stratis, as for Altis it does work but with multiple c-rams it basically unfuncitonal at targeting mortar rounds.

So please use one if you want to take down mortars or artillery and all...

if you just want it to protect against aircraft... use any amount of them... they will dominate the air

Known issues: more than one c-ram placed causes issues to the code to run slow and miss artillery rounds. So if you want it to take down artillery just place one, it will do its job. 

Sound is function back up, and looks alot better when firing.

• Like 1

Good to hear that! So I assume that you are going to update soon. Right?

Yea, was suppose to be updated over weekend, but work had me late so i was unable to release.... Right now it is still mostly testing phase (with shooting down mortars) it isnt accurate, so its mostly like the real c-ram isnt 100% affective... but it does its job... ill be releasing today hopefully with what it is to get some insight and what might need to be changed.... ofc the coding is stil wayy alpha cause there are some glitches and all and need to find a better way to run the script and the load of the script! hope you guys excited.. been working hard between work and college.

Not really a big surprise, but V1.0 has been released, only through media fire link, which is supplied in the main page... soon armaholic link will be updated :)

Please leave feedback, it really helps me find issues... Also, if you know how to fix some issues, send a message, dont mind the help : D

I wanna see how many people actually use this addon and how much time i might put toward it. 

Hope you like it ;) and have fun shooting down them pesky untouchable artillery rounds.... until NOW :o  :ph34r:

• Like 1