Sign in to follow this  
scottmillerukctrg

Minigun firerate

Firerate of the minigun is extrmely low. i was testing the pawnee and i noticed that in 1 minute you have an average of 1600 rounds shot. but you also have 2 miniguns on the pawnee that means 800 rounds/minute. now remember that the real minigun fires 6000rounds a minute. so you're telling me that a game which is supposed to be a simulator has a gun that fires 7.5x less bullets than its real life version? please fix this.

Well, technically speaking the rate of fire can be controlled by the motor that rotates the barrels. Very rarely does anyone use 6000rpm on the M134D because it's just impractical. I mean if you think about it, that's a lot of heat, a lot of recoil and a lot of wasted ammo when you could be having more or less the same effect with 2000rpm.

i would imagine if the fire rate was realistic it would create alot of server lag, specially if theres a few of you firing at any one time

This is what happens when your knowledge of armaments comes from Battlefield games.

The man's got a point (though I don't question BIS's decision.. I'm sure they have a good reason). There are no miniguns that fire only 800 rpm... that's more on the order of an LMG. The weapons systems do indeed take a beating, but not like they used to. There are new lubricants that extended the breakdown time from 12,000 rounds to 30,000 rounds (I use the same lubricant on my personal firearms). The stress still puts barrel replacement on the order of 50,000 rounds though, that's true. They do adjust these weapon systems to fire at a somewhat lower rate for practice. Live fire costs a lot (over $100 a round in some cases). But in the heat of battle you want as much lead (or depleted uranium) :) down range as possible.. your life could depend on it. There's no skimping on ammo intheshit.

Another example is the A-164; being a modernization, the A-10Cs GAU-8 would most likely evolve.. the A-10C's GAU-8 fires 70 rounds per second. Below is the data sheet I put in my mission Close Air Support(ECAS) on a whiteboard at base. The real stats are so good they seem like fiction.

All hail General Dynamics, the most excellent merchant of death:

http://www.gd-ots.com/armament_systems/mbw_GAU-19A.html

http://www.gd-ots.com/armament_systems/mbw_GAU-8A.html

A10statsFull.png

i would imagine if the fire rate was realistic it would create alot of server lag, specially if theres a few of you firing at any one time

This is why multipliers are used.

It really is great gun lube.. TW-25b by Mil-Comm. I'd use it for that too, if I didn't worry about epidermal penetration. Oh no.. I've given you another word to corrupt, Flemdot...

This is what happens when your knowledge of armaments comes from Battlefield games.

Lol, agreed. Though I think it would be cool if you could change the firerate on the fly. For instance, if you were shooting at a ground target, you might want to have a lower firerate in order to aim and hit your target more pricesly, and be able to have longer sustained fire. However, I could aslo imagine that if your Ghosthawk were to be engaged by an enemy helo, a high fire rate would allow you to saturate a specific patch of sky where you think you would be most likely to hit the enemy helo. More led down range in a shorter period gives you more likeliness to hit the target, and an air target generally doesn't require sustained or supressive fire, just killshots, therefore you could fire in bursts.

In Arma 2 you can switch from 2000 rpm to 4000 rpm in some vehicles. Also semi related, not sure if it's a bug that still exists, but when on servers and someone fires a minigun, the snaps are EXTRA LOUD, and it lags the server to like 2 FPS. It's insane. So i'm not sure if it's a good idea to add in the higher fire rate again. I wonder if they are planning on making a Static Minigun as well.

Add this to the init of a Hunter to replace the HMG127 with the minigun from a Ghosthawk and 10k rounds.. it's DISGUSTING. I used it for a QRF Vehicle.

this removeMagazine "200Rnd_127x99_mag_Tracer_Red";
this removeWeapon "HMG_127";
this addWeapon "LMG_Minigun";
this addMagazineTurret ["2000Rnd_65x39_Belt_Tracer_Red",[0]];

• Thanks 1

Add this to the init of a Hunter to replace the HMG127 with the minigun from a Ghosthawk and 10k rounds.. it's DISGUSTING. I used it for a QRF Vehicle.

Ill test this ounce i get off work. Can't wait to play with this a bit. Hehe. ;)

Why it is disgusting? :P Tested it, it was "fun" ;]. But yeah, proper rate of fire would be nice, though I understand why it MIGHT be like that now. Bullet penetration in Arma is rather sophisticated, so 70 rps would be extreme :).

Disgusting as in.. a disgusting display of awesome... Mini guns and 240s are being used more on transports. Thought I'd try it out. It doesn't change the animation of the vehicle gun, but the affect is there!

I do think the fire rate is less than realistic, but I'm ok with it. Here's a vid of me tearing it up with an AH9 in my Close Air Support(Day2) mission:

Minigun rate of fire is WAY low. It has come up in multiple threads, and is one of my biggest pet peeves in A3 (I fly the AH-9 a LOT). Miniguns are meant to be spray and pray weapons. One of the main reasons I get shot out of the cockpit in the AH-9 in A3 is that it's so hard to hit ground targets, you end up getting way closer than you should just to score a hit. The miniguns fire slower than an M249. Ideally you'd line up on the target area from pretty long range, and with 2 miniguns you'd unleash a few hundred rounds in a matter of a couple seconds, and break away from the target area long before they could put accurate fire on you. Anything in that cone would be dead. I've heard someone say that rate of fire is lowered due to framerate constraints, but we had a system that allowed 4000 rpm in arma 2. I don't particularly care if the game "cheats" to achieve a realistic ROF. The whole idea of a minigun is to spray as much lead at an area as possible, in as little time as possible. Right now, we basically have a heli equipped with 2 MMG's.

The Arma 2 AH-9 minigun system was beautiful. I wish we could have it back. Everything would be fixed then.

I played around with this and had some good fun trying out crazy vehicle / weapon combos. I tried to remove the miniguns from the AH-9 to try the same thing, but wasn't able to get it to work with the init code : this removeWeapon "minigun classname";

Would the syntax be different because it's 2 guns?

EDIT: I didn't actually use "minigun classname" as the class name, I just used that because I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

Edited by JestersDead

Check the command reference for a command that tells you what weapons are on a vehicle. I think it's objectname vehicleweapons or something similar.

probably a turret identity issue - check the turret number youre trying to put the gun and ammo into

re multipliers and damage and ROF etc

I have been making a mod in A2 of the weaponry as tanks and helis and planes have erroneous and, in some cases vastly, wrong ROF/ muzzle velocities, damage calculations etc

I made a table here

http://www.gitsarma.gamingdeluxe.net/private/ammo%20types.xlsx

check out the

spreadsheet Tab - "stock" (unsung is the vietnam weaponry i'm developing)

column - "BIS speed as % of real"

and final column - what to do to improve it - which i've done for my forthcoming A2 armour/air patch

and you can see a lot of problems. you can also see why the mi24 gun was always so bad in A2. it is 8x underpowered.

some of the soviet tanks have similarly poor weaponry

it was worth doing this so we don't just dumbly inherit the weapons from BIS models without first checking that the playing field is even... for blufor v opfor it appears that it certainly is not

The Arma 2 AH-9 minigun system was beautiful. I wish we could have it back. Everything would be fixed then.

Yes!!!

(And I can't imagine it would cost too much effort or performance.)

I did some tests with friends using several AH-9s depleting bullets at 12000 rounds/minute simultanously - and the server did not die. So I believe it's not a problem.