Sign in to follow this  
GrillsBears

New Player friendly hardcore servers?

I guess this has been risen quite often, yet couldn't find anything valuable on the topic:

Are there any servers with applied hardcore rules welcoming noobs?

Reasoning: I strongly dislike third person games. In my eyes it's arcade gameplay, completely obliterating any immersion.

Now I could just play on any server and use first person myself, however as a noob, I'm bad at the game already and facing enemies that commonly use something akin to a wallhack (spotting above walls and around corners) on top of that is most likely going to be enourmously frustrating.

Please note that this is not a first vs. third person discussion. I don't want to use third person and I don't want to fight people using third person whilst being a beginner myself, that's all.

Thanks for any tips :).

Thanks - Their settings sound exciting - I especially love the no respawn rule (long time Eve player, so I'm all for more meaningful deaths), but right now I feel I'm way too bad to join there as I don't want to ruin anyones evening with my inexperience.

After having played Quakeworld & Q3RA in clans as well as operation Flashpoint, I have been on a 10+ years hiatus when it comes to FPS games - and that's how bad I am. Bookmarked the thread though - I definitely want to get there once I've learned some more.

Edit: Oh - and on a sidenote after watching video footage from your servers, you apparently allow third person view - I assume you thought it was irrelevant on coop missions, therefore promoting it and I don't blame you for it. However, in the the short to medium run, even having third person players on my own team is inacceptable.

But thanks nonetheless - I'll check it out to learn some more basics before I find a proper first person only environment.

Edited by GrillsBears

We do a mix of what you ask. 1st person infantry and 3rd person vehicles. I just can't justify forcing 1st person on vehicles that have no interior models and provide ZERO immersion.

If you like that then here's what I tell people "We are a public Team VS Team game mode with a heavy emphasis on tactical planning that uses EVERYTHING Arma has to offer. The mission we host is Capture the Island (CTI). CTI is probably the most complicated game mode to learn but there are a lot of people on those servers who don't mind helping out. Before asking questions though, I recommend you look at this: https://www.youtube.com/user/SpanishSurfer/videos to get an idea of some of the mechanics possible in the game. Peak server hours are between 1800-0000 EST"

When Ingame, there are more help manuals (short and read in 5 min) that will help you. Just click on my sig below to see which server you should join, good luck!

@Spanishsurfer: Thanks - I'll check them out. Problem is I'm CET, so your peak time begins at 00:00h for me. Whilst I stay up late (I.E. I can check them out, although with a bad ping), I work a fulltime job starting at 08:00, so in the long run, it's not really optimal for me. My bad - forgot to provide that information. On a side note: I didn't try too many of the vehicles, but those I've tried all had interiors (Cars, SUVs, Helicopters and Planes) - so allowing third person just because MBTs have none seems a bit exaggerated to me.

As a matter of fact, my disdain for third person stems from playing Flightsims - any modes allowing for third person are just gamebreaking in these games.

@Hurts72: That sounds really interesting - just started playing it yesterday and I definitely will check them out.

Hello.

We at Dedicated Rejects play hardcore only.

We tend to play Coop missions primarily.

No 3rd.

No Crosshair.

Thermals disabled in Most missions.

Class restricted weapons and Items.

Class restricted Roles for vehicles.

We use Acre and SThud mod in 99% of our missions.

No Shift click on map its disabled in all vehicles aswell.

Generally if BIS allow it to be turned of via script or settings we have turned it off if we think it improves game play :)

oops and here is the link http://www.dedicatedrejects.com/

There's a couple King of the Hill Hardcore servers that are first person only.

Yep, this is what your looking for.