Sign in to follow this  
mikeap

First Impressions - Very Frustrating

Bottom line - the controls are very funky.

Collective, specifically is extremely difficult to judge, and entirely too laggy. Your either rocketing toward the sky or crashing toward the earth.

Hovering is also very difficult, and seems too sensitive.

Sadly, I think the flight model in ArmA 3 is much better.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:40 ----------

I find that Im unable to maneuver or land in the same difficulty LZs that I can in, say, Enemy Engaged or ArmA

Assign axis joystick on the collective (analog).

Play with the response curves.

And the dead zones. Recommend zero.

Remember that the helicopter is operated, very small movements of the handles and pedals.

What you need is to lower the sensitivity of your controller. By acting likewise the controls will be enhanced greatly.

After doing so it all comes to practice. No worries. It is hard for everyone at first.

And in Arma 3 the flight models aren't realistic at all. That is why they are easier to operate. After you get used to TOH then the Arma flight models will be annoyingly easy.

And not to forget, don't use high difficulties. I believe that you should start with intermediate and move on to advanced later on. As for the expert mode I don't think it is even real. The game just starts making things more difficult than they are in real life so as to make the gameplay harder, like all other games.

Hope this helped.:)

Deadzone all 0 for me is the most important. Just like the real thing it requires constant small movements and having a deadzone makes things harder. The extereme3d springs don't help you much either as you have a notion of center. Try to discard that feeling when hovering as there is really no center and you have to update with minute inputs to really hover a helicopter.

You may want to start with the larger helicopters as they aren't as twitchy, then work your way down. Then you'll get frustrated as to how slow the arma 3 flight model really is.

Oops. I forgot I fly modded too. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?145171-Advanced-Flight-Model-based-on-HTR

Edited by quickvenge
Adding link to mods.

Is there really zero deadzone on the collective?

Even in Arma, with zero deadzone on the collective, I find the helo wants to bob up and down.

The smallest deadzone on raise lower collective is easier for me.

No concept of a dead zone. For all controls.

For each flight, neutral collective pitch will be his.

We land at an empty helicopter collective pitch untill quite a bit. At the maximum height at full load, much more.

Dead Zone, obvious evil in the simulator.