Sign in to follow this  
idhronphant

Third person mode & realism

Use what works for you and just let everyone play the game in the way that makes them happy.

Why is it that every time someone voices an opinion, someone has to jump in and say "Let everyone play the game as they like!" ?

Sigh... No one is forcing anyone to play or do anything just by voicing an opinion, mind you.

Why is it that every time someone voices an opinion, someone has to jump in and say "Let everyone play the game as they like!" ?

Sigh... No one is forcing anyone to play or do anything just by voicing an opinion, mind you.

Some servers and clans force the first person perspective in their missions.

And that's great. What isn't great is people wanting to force other people to play the vanilla game the way they think it is "moar realistic". That's why the way it is now is ok.

Yes, so what ? Of course, people enforce rules on their own servers.

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

What isn't great is people wanting to force other people to play the vanilla game the way they think it is "moar realistic".

Who is forcing anyone ? Actually, no one is forcing.

And that's great. What isn't great is people wanting to force other people to play the vanilla game the way they think it is "moar realistic". That's why the way it is now is ok.

they dont have to join the server if they dont like the set up, no ones forcing anyone

they dont have to join the server if they dont like the set up, no ones forcing anyone

You may want to read my post again.

You may want to read my post again.

i have and stand by what i wrote, the point im making is your use of the word forcing, you cant force anyone to do anything, everyone has a choice to say no

I never, but NEVER, play 1st person because it's too downright restrictive and unrealistic, like playing with a paper bag on your head with a few holes to look through.

It's especially horrific if you're an AFV driver because you'll spend the whole game looking through the drivers slit without a clue what's going on all around you. (yawn).

Give me 3rd person every time so you can look around, see your character, your vehicle, your kool uniform and the weapons and equipment you're carrying, and whether you're crouching, standing, bleeding or puking etc..:)

So basically you don't like playing it realistically. Try driving an AFV in real life you cant see shit unless you pop your head out. And I'd rather watch other players puking & bleedind than myself sir. And also In 3person you can see over walls & round corners how can that possibly be realistic!!!

Each to his own, with ArmA you have that choice Tks BIS.:yay:

ps I does help if you have a wide screen monitor, that will give you pretty realistic peripheral vision

Edited by jgaz-uk

i have and stand by what i wrote, the point im making is your use of the word forcing, you cant force anyone to do anything, everyone has a choice to say no

As long as vanilla game options aren't changed (or can be opted out), everything is ok.

Nobody forces you to play these missions or on servers with 3rd person off. That's the point.

Although we really only play Coops we still have 3rd person disabled on all Servers. The feeling of immersion and the enchanced Teamwork it brings are the main reasons. You want to know what is behind that corner? You have to stick your head out and risk getting shot instead of simply turning the camera. You are pinned behind cover and you don´t know where the fire is coming from? Think of a solution to this problem instead of using the 3rd person camera to see where the enemy is. You drive a vehicle and need guidance? Ask your teammates.

That is the real difference between coop servers with 1st and 3rd person.

it all comes down to player preferences , presented or restricted by missions or servers

not one player or server is alike , isnt that the whole essence of Arma

its up to the player to find a server that satisfys his needs or feeling of "immersion"

the Game gives you all kind of options addons or you can create even your own , so to say how the game should be played is just narrow minded opinion

Oh come on. "moar realistic"? Just because the server has, you know, settings? What about crosshair? Force it off to be "Moar realistic"? What about respawn? "moar realistic"?

Server admins pick their settings, period. If you don't like them, play elsewhere. I prefer first person only because I do not buy all that "3rd person is more realistic because it gives a wider field of view", it's just not true, and whatever video you watch were people supposedly are using 3rd person to "widen their field of view" and everybody is using it to peer around walls and over obstacles.

But hey, no issue with that. If you want to play it like that, fine. I prefer "moar realistic", and tell you what, that is not a bad thing. Just different.

---------- Post added at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

Although we really only play Coops we still have 3rd person disabled on all Servers. The feeling of immersion and the enchanced Teamwork it brings are the main reasons. You want to know what is behind that corner? You have to stick your head out and risk getting shot instead of simply turning the camera. You are pinned behind cover and you don´t know where the fire is coming from? Think of a solution to this problem instead of using the 3rd person camera to see where the enemy is. You drive a vehicle and need guidance? Ask your teammates.

That is the real difference between coop servers with 1st and 3rd person.

Absolutely, 100% agreed.

Rather then argue points I just want you guys to know what kind of experiences

can you live through with first person view enabled server.

Dslyexi hunting group of hunters who are really moving in careful and deliberate fashion

At beginning you can see player passing dslyexi literally at his feet, but he did not saw

him.After 40 min of stalking dsylexi takes down 2 players from their group.

That kind of experiences that you can talk with your friends while drinking beer,

are sadly missed when played with 3ds person view.It's risk versus reward

system which includes ALt (moving your head around), stance adjust and

all the immersion and heart race at peaking through corner not knowing

what will you see.

Edited by enex

Oh come on. "moar realistic"? Just because the server has, you know, settings? What about crosshair? Force it off to be "Moar realistic"? What about respawn? "moar realistic"?

Server admins pick their settings, period. If you don't like them, play elsewhere. I prefer first person only because I do not buy all that "3rd person is more realistic because it gives a wider field of view", it's just not true, and whatever video you watch were people supposedly are using 3rd person to "widen their field of view" and everybody is using it to peer around walls and over obstacles.

But hey, no issue with that. If you want to play it like that, fine. I prefer "moar realistic", and tell you what, that is not a bad thing. Just different.

Once again, I have no problem with server settings, server admins can do whatever they want, i don't care. But i have problem with people who think they know better than the other what is realistic and what isn't (as you just did), and thus who would want to change game options (like veteran should be that or this). Is that clearer for you ?

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

it all comes down to player preferences , presented or restricted by missions or servers

not one player or server is alike , isnt that the whole essence of Arma

its up to the player to find a server that satisfys his needs or feeling of "immersion"

the Game gives you all kind of options addons or you can create even your own , so to say how the game should be played is just narrow minded opinion

Exactly.

My only beef with 1st person is that you can't see your own character and drool over your snazzy uniform and your beautiful weapons, equipment and dramatic Rambo stances.

You can see yourself with 3rd person, but I agree it's slightly unrealistic because the view is centred behind and above him, letting you see over walls and stuff.

If it was centred lower at about waist height it'd be much better as you couldn't peek over walls.

Dunno if centring can be adjusted in some config file in the bowels of the game?

(Flight Sim X does that with its 'Adjust Eyepoint' option)

I like third person because it gives you gameplay possibilities that are just not possible in first person like: proprioception. A crosshair falls in the same category. It allows instinctive aiming. The game can only depict the two senses of hearing and sight, so I don't understand most people's disaffection with 3rd person.

Most of the time the same people install crutches like shacktac hud and call it a realistic feature, whilst disabling squad markers and "kill this enemy" markers.

you couldnt be any more wrong, the field of view is different between 1st and 3rd person view, lets say your hiding behind a rock cause your under fire, in first PV all you can see is a rock, in 3rd PV you can see beyond that rock and see where there firing position is without exposing your self, same as looking around buildings your hiding behind

You are mixing visibility compared to FOV or Field of View which refers to how many degrees of vision you have left to right.

In some cases you have much more visibility with 3rd person (like watching over walls) but the Field Of View isn´t that much bigger then 1st person.

I beg to differ. It does not. It gives you only a slightly broader field of view, as can be seen in
(check around 1:50).

The problem with 3d person is that you can see around or over walls, which you can't do in real life, so to claim it'S more realistic is plainly wrong.

If the camera wouldn't climb all the time to allow you to look over walls, it would already help. However, moving the camera closer wouldn't work, since that makes the third and first person view practically the same.

The real problem is that there is no solution to this. The field of view should be bigger in first person, but third person allows you to peek over and around walls, and sorry, no one can claim that this is realistic... is it more realistic than first person ? I don't know, but in any case, it will give you an advantage and a view angle that is totally unrealistic.

There is no solution to this problem.

To claim not being able to sense your own body is realistic is also plainly wrong.

Why wouldn't moving the camera closer work? Why does first-person and third-person have to be drastically different? Isn't that the exact issue that brought us all here?

I believe my solution would work excellently. Bring the camera in closer as in Resident Evil 4 or Gears of War. Never had any similar issues in them.

If Bis lowered the cam in a fair way and adjusted the reticle so it was far more accurate, maybe even a pip targeting screen it would be very cool! However, crosshairs off and getting used to the centreline of fire is really awesome and very rewarding!

Seem like Arma is RPG for lots of people : )

I would encourage everyone who plays lots of time in 3ds person

to join servers which enables first person.It will bring you intense

moments full of risk vs reward situations, because it's dangerous

when you peak through covers with enemy nearby and that's part

of the combat, it's thrilling.But if you sit behind the rock

wall safely, and use disembodied camera to see the enemies

you are at no risk and reward is according.

This are just my thoughts, you can disagree if you wish,

but this is not my intention.I want everyone to have intense

wild, breathtaking experience which first person can offer you.

For me its 3rd person for testing and 1st for playing.

But it will feel real for whoever is playing, either 3rd or 1st person, whatever you like.

I just know that 1st person is harder, which probably makes me think its more realistic. But its really down to the player, either way, just enjoy..

Sometimes in 1st person I hear enemy shots cracking by, followed by painful grunting and think "uh-oh, some poor bot slob in my squad has got his ass busted".

But later as the grunting continues, I realse it's ME who was hit and is grunting like a stuck pig! (the "wounded" icon doesn't always come up to let you know you're hit,depending on wound severity)

But if it'd been 3rd person view I'd have seen my bloodied uniform long ago, that's another reason I don't like 1st, because you can't see yourself, how unreal is that?..;)

PS- In Iron Front (Arma's WW2 stablemate) people sometimes get their helmets shot off, I don't know if that happens in Arma2/3 but if it does and it's a 1st-person-only game, you won't know you're going around bare headed and that you need to grab a new helmet quick.

Same goes for weapons and equipment in AA2/3 if we accidentally drop something, or fail to pick it up properly, we might play on thinking we've got a Titan launcher slung on our back, only to find out later that it's not there because there's no way of knowing in 1st person view.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

PS- In Iron Front (Arma's WW2 stablemate) people sometimes get their helmets shot off, I don't know if that happens in Arma2/3 but if it does and it's a 1st-person-only game, you won't know you're going around bare headed and that you need to grab a new helmet quick.

Same goes for weapons and equipment in AA2/3 if we accidentally drop something, or fail to pick it up properly, we might play on thinking we've got a Titan launcher slung on our back, only to find out later that it's not there because there's no way of knowing in 1st person view.

Get a trackir or other head tracker. You can see all that with the exception of a helmet getting shot off but that doesn't happen in arma 3. It also makes all the driving vehicle complaints irrelevant. Particularly vehicles with full 3d cockpits that you can in lean as we'll.

But this thread is pointless there are different difficulty levels and folks can play the way they want to play.

I play exclusively in 1st person, but enjoy watching 3rd person YouTube videos. You can just see more.

Edited by quickvenge
Grammar

Get a trackir or other head tracker..

I've watched youtube vids of trackir but don't think I'd like it because it's unnatural and I'd probably get motion sickness.

For example if you turn your head left with TlR, you still have to keep your eyes swivelled right to see the monitor and vice versa, so your head would be twisting like a ventriloquists dummy but your eyes would have to stay locked on the screen.

And from what I can see of it, there's still no way to get a good look at your own character.

PS- maybe AA2/3 neds a new view option called something like "character view" which would place you a few feet behind your character at the touch of a key and then use the mouse to pan around him strictly horizontally to look him over.