Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

Abandoned naval CIC/ fleet command/harpoon style gametype

Based on this addons you could create a system for the real radar the arma 3?

Good grief, Sakura! What a stunning amount of work. What else are you keeping from us?!?

Would you continue with the work if you had a small team so you could divide the work? And I'm not talking about a team of people just wanting to get their hands on this...but rather get some people to "interview" for it. After reading some of the problems that ArmA was popping up for you, maybe we could tackle one of the issues, and see what we could do outside of your project, as a proof of concept or something, and then try to integrate our work-around solutions into the main project you have?

Or, are you wanting to hand this off and totally be done with it? (P.S.- I hope this isn't your option)

I loved Fleet command and was gutted I couldn't get it to work in Win7... Still got the disc....

There is Dangerous Waters too, which took it to the next level. VERY similar to What you have shown, but focused on key ASW assets...

This would be a CRACKING game outright or as others have said a very clever way to get Radar and Fire & Control into the game....

Makes all those Radar models and Awacs birds actually DO something :)

If you hadn't told me they were low-poly models I would never have guessed.... they too are worthy of their own "Well done"

Hopefully all our enthusiasm encourages you to continue.. or share the workload ?

Good luck.

SJ

Very nice stuff Sakura_Chan!

As I loved Dangerous Waters, this naturally waters my mouth :)

I was thinking about working on a naval warfare module myself (as I fell in love with the underwater part of A3), but the submarines were missing... my own approach would be to create an external simulator (for SONAR and EW) communicating with A3 through an extension, thus also making it easier to create system-specific displays easier. The downside to my approach is that you would have to play A3 in window mode or use the displays/controls on another PC (though a not too old netbook should be sufficient).

As for your question what should be done, naturally I'm mostly interested in the submarines and would love to see them released (hopefully under a SA-license?). I guess that could a spawn a plethora of features...

You can also contact me if you have questions about my work :)

I'm stunned to see what you've been able to achieve so far Sakura!

The assets look top-notch, as with all your work the eye-catching stuff is there, but it's all the little details coming together that gets me (eg the landing gear on the Il-76). Having said that, it's your Naval Tactical Data System that looks really ground-breaking for A3. I have only dreamed of something similar for my own humble Arleigh Burke class destroyer.

-Using the editor, there isn't a way to place units outside of the immediate map area. The new play area is about 600nm*600nm but the editor can't zoom out far enough, and appears to be hardcoded.

I created a feedback tracker issue asking for the black border around the islands to be removed, to no avail.

Ideas/thoughts/what should be done?

As this is such a revolutionary project that would bring so much to the game, I would think BIS would be open to addressing specific feedback tracker issues related to making this happen. However their communication regarding the current most-voted issues sadly hasn't been great, so I'm not sure that'd get far.

Any of the model assets would find a happy home and a lot of use, should you release them as they are. same goes for the Naval Tactical Data System. However, as for what I'd like you to do, I think there'd be enough interested and capable people interested in collaborating with you on perhaps a smaller-scale system which would maybe avoid a few of the pitfalls you mentioned (eg long super long distance AI travel, curvature of the earth)? I'd love to see a naval warfare mod/addon/script suite which community addon makers to plug their assets into.

Also very excited to hear of both your presence in the Arma 3 forums and of anything you're working on, Vektorboson! :D

Whats wrong with this addon can you please resume this work it could made USAF better and better this is what about i dreaming !

like chops said, you should release what you did to others that can finish it, like the guy with the f37c did 2 months ago...he stopped the dev, but in order for his work to not become forgotten, he released the source material and his project will live longer.

in your case, if you release the pre alpha stuff, then what you did until today wont be in vain, all the time you put in it will worth something. i dont think you like to hit delete on all that work, they are low poly okay, but no one gives a crap that a plane/ship/sub at 700m is 5000 vertices instead on 25000, because they cant see the difference at this distance.

like chops said, you should release what you did to others that can finish it, like the guy with the f37c did 2 months ago...he stopped the dev, but in order for his work to not become forgotten, he released the source material and his project will live longer.

in your case, if you release the pre alpha stuff, then what you did until today wont be in vain, all the time you put in it will worth something. i dont think you like to hit delete on all that work, they are low poly okay, but no one gives a crap that a plane/ship/sub at 700m is 5000 vertices instead on 25000, because they cant see the difference at this distance.

Thumbs up !!!!

While I have to say I kind of agree with you. I think you must also respect the author if he decides that he doesn't want to make his work publicly available. Some people just want to keep their work to themselves and as a game artist in training I can also find myself in that.\

I do have to say that I think that sub, the B2 and the B1 look very sexy, especially with those engine effects the B1 has. I'd be a shame if it would be lost in time.

Besides that I now realize that if you would't continued developing this, especially the complimenting gameplay mode it would most likely have been a "Make Arma not War" winner.

Edited by CyclonicTuna

Ouuchies I was really expecting to see this mod in action and hoped you could overcome the kinks of the VR engine! :o

Your models are damn sexy and it would be shame to waste such a great idea and all that work just because Armas limitations, although I very well understand the frustration that the obstacles bring and doing all that alone is huuuge ordeal. Might forming a group to work on the project be feasible? There seem to be a lot of interested people here.

i was trying to make him answer me but no success he is active on forums but he doesn't want to answer about nothing with this mod !

i was trying to make him answer me but no success he is active on forums but he doesn't want to answer about nothing with this mod !
On the contrary, Sakura_Chan may still read the forums but hasn't posted since late October -- in that case, to drop the reworking of the C-130J -- and there's no indication that he's followed this thread ever since he last posted here (same day as he posted the thread).
Ouuchies I was really expecting to see this mod in action and hoped you could overcome the kinks of the VR engine! :o

Your models are damn sexy and it would be shame to waste such a great idea and all that work just because Armas limitations, although I very well understand the frustration that the obstacles bring and doing all that alone is huuuge ordeal. Might forming a group to work on the project be feasible? There seem to be a lot of interested people here.

Unfortuantely the OP admitted that while the one-person-effort* and engine limitations frustrated, Sakura_Chan admitted to feeling that "that it may result in boring gameplay. I actually sat down with fleet command (its available on Steam) and found it to be quite boring and often frustrating." It doesn't explain his silence on the models, but the OP read like he'd decided against further attempts at the game mode before posting the OP.

* I'm not sure why Sakura_Chan claimed to feel the need "to make my own version of Mando Missiles, not to mention simulate all the EMCON/sensors/datalinks", but that may have factored into the perception of how much effort was required.

Edited by Chortles

I see the problems involving the will of improving the ArmAverse with such an extensive and complex functionality - they may seems much bigger than the opportunities that this project can actually offer in terms of playability as far as the ArmA engine is what it is - although the idea of using low poly models (with such an impressive aesthetic result!) tickles me.. All the assets that in real life play a major role in a warfare scenario (big ships, submarines, awacs, logistics etc) which require functionalities too far out from what this simulator is concerned for and without a real prospective of enjoyable playability, could still be offered to the public in this fashion: low poly - low functionality (simple animations and scripts) - high level of ambient immersion. I bring the example of the radar stations in the RHS addonpack, little possibilities of doing anything with them, no optimization of the radar system, but man what an awesome mission objective, and how an empty airfield comes to life!

If you could set all this in the form of a CIC terminal that provides real time information to a commander in a MP game.. It would be heaven!!

In my online group we have a few guys who very much like strategy and they command us around based on the intel they get from us, UAV's and airborne units.

Having your setup would represent a major leap for any community. Imagine scrambling and vectoring human-operated figthers based on a carrier to intercept an enemy attack.. You could even have people on ships providing artillery support and more people in attack boats protecting the ships, people in attack helos, tanks, transport airplanes with loads of human infantry and vehicles,etc.. All directed under a central command working on terminals with your mod.

I can see huge posibilities in medium to large communities. A Harpoon game with human operators!!

Unfortunately the OP has the reasons why Sakura_Chan declared the gameplay idea abandoned.

Unfortunately the OP has the reasons why Sakura_Chan declared the gameplay idea abandoned.

Yeah the listed problems were quite hard to overcome (if even possible) and its always sad to see promising idea fail because of obstacles like that.

Ehhhhh... as I said before, even had the technical problems been overcome Sakura_Chan had given up on the idea of the game mode as potentially "boring"; it's telling that his TL;DR for the gameplay concept was "Think of it as the Zeus gametype but with a Zeus controlling each 'layer' of the military", yet he was surprised at the Zeus reveal "because it featured the 'battle master/director' gameplay that I thought would be too slow and boring for anyone to get serious about"... not exactly a ringing endorsement of his own idea!

Indeed, other than the "faux CIC terminal" GUI, everything else about the idea could have been performed in a single-player Zeus scenario without the dilemma inherent to a multiplayer iteration: Think of the "fire support" player who spends the session waiting at the firebase for a call for fire from the other players who are actually assaulting an objective and thereby hold the initiative in the flow of the scenario's events... then invert that dynamic so that it's a "command" player (analogous to Zeus) holding all the initiative of the scenario in assigning and tasking the "control" players (the ones who were to "apply for and be assigned roles or classes" to an otherwise AI-controlled vehicle) who in the meantime might have to do holding patterns awaiting assignment or tasking. At least with a Zeus who roleplays as both the opposing AI and as the players' fire support it's the other players who can still "drive the action", but Sakura_Chan gave no indication in the OP as to whether he'd considered the issue that I've described herein, much less attempted any solutions to "even out" things between the players.

At least people can still go (and were before Zeus) "scrambling and vectoring human-operated figthers based on a carrier to intercept an enemy attack" with "people on ships providing artillery support and more people in attack boats protecting the ships, people in attack helos, tanks, transport airplanes with loads of human infantry and vehicles,etc." (quoting YankST1 from the prior page) by coordinating via text chat or VOIP. :)

Take a look at this. Think MP. Think one or more commanders in charge of the global strategy. Think a combined arms campaign with planes, helps, tanks, infantry...

If this was ever completed, this would be hands down the best thing since sliced bread. Those aircraft models have me frothing! I absolutely love this. Just looking at those screenshots want me to play it.

In reference to 'what to do'... It seems as though you may not been keen to complete full development, though I'm sure heaps of people would love to download the aircraft if you put them all into one big pack. I know I would.

Edited by XxGetBuck123
  • Like 1

First; I know, I know, forum rules and everything, but come on! This looks like the greatest freaking thing in the entire goddamn universe! Hell, I would gladly pay for this if you kept working on it! Name your price!

• Like 1