Sign in to follow this  
das attorney

Ruin your copy of Arma and your PC.

Hi,

This is a continuation of this conversation from the Blastcore thread. (So it doesn't derail OS's thread).

Here is a little mod that modifies some of the video options in the game so that you can set silly video options that the game developers felt would be too ridiculous to let users play about with.

20 km view distance

20 km object distance (kills fps)

1km shadows (not sure this works - think it's hardcoded to 200)

2 x dynamic shadows (not tested).

3.5(ish) x total amount of particles.

1.3(ish) x total amount of particles. - See here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?160330-Scripting-Discussion-(dev-branch)&p=2602840&viewfull=1#post2602840

The source file is in the download so if you want to mess about with the values, then you can edit the config.cpp and repack it.

I deliberately posted this in the Mission Editing thread as I didn't want to market it as a mod. There's enough debate about the performance of this game without people potentially unwittingly using it and then complaining about poor performance in Arma. If you're reading this Foxhound then please don't link to Armaholic :)

PS: Use at your own risk - I take no responsibility for what happens in your PC!

Edited by Das Attorney

I'd initially be mortified but then actually quite amused if threads start popping up in the forums like:

N000000 1FPS TRIED EVERYTHING, PLS HELP!!!!!!!!!!! <3

Err, switch off the fucking mod.

watching out of interest

3.5(ish) x total amount of particles.

Small correction - current engine-based particle hard limit is 18 000. I am pretty sure that you won't get more particles than this.

How can a thread like this exist without a single screenshot inside? :confused:

watching out of interest

For some strange reason i find that amusing. ;)

Your addon contains DynamicLights value = 16 instead of 24, is it some hardcoded limit ?

Edited by Neodammerung

How can a thread like this exist without a single screenshot inside? :confused:

Because the PC will explode just thinking about running Arma with those settings.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Thanks for this thread attorney, really appreciate it.

Tried to increase the shadow distance with the new script command, didn't do much for me (no difference between setting it to 200-2000), gonna test your mod later today and see if it's different.

Is there a way to increase the grass drawing distance on top of the other options of this mod?

This would really make a great must-have mod for people interested in screenshots.

Small correction - current engine-based particle hard limit is 18 000. I am pretty sure that you won't get more particles than this.

Thanks for reply - I need to check though as I read here it was 20k http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?160330-Scripting-Discussion-(dev-branch)&p=2602840&viewfull=1#post2602840

Has the hardcoded limit been reduced?

@GOM - I'm not sure, there used to be a way to do it in Arma 2 multiplayer (as a server option somewhere in the config iirc). I'll do some investigation.

This thread is like; legendary froze epicness in a cryogenic container and gave Das an alarm clock!

Good on ya Das, cant wait to try this out, incidentally blastcore will overwrite this yeah? Ie its stock maxed out or blastcore?

For some strange reason i find that amusing. ;)

because I like stress tests ;)

anyway anyone got HD screenshots or videos of this (sorry no time to check myself yet , occupied by MP problems)

Increasing shadow distance from 200 to 1000 (and in between) make me loose 15 fps and get heavy LOD switching comparing to 200 but there is a visual difference, not worth it but it will do the trick to make some awesome screenshots, I haven't tried anything else yet.

Edited by Neodammerung

My gfx card is sitting in the corner rocking and quietly sobbing. MOAR testing!

I was able to use 30km view distance with just a GT620 card. View distance is definitely not that stressful! Object distance though :)

incidentally blastcore will overwrite this yeah? Ie its stock maxed out or blastcore not both?

re-asking this ^

Because I cant tell much difference im not sure if it would be working or not

Hi mate,

Won't be able to test today but this shouldn't overwrite anything in Blastcores code - I'll be home tomorrow so I can have a look then for you.

Everyone else is trying to fix the game, you are trying to break it.

Carry on. :)

cool i can see quite a difference in distance stuff there.

Post your rig specs mate

Bit low isn't it? :p

Hi mate,

Won't be able to test today but this shouldn't overwrite anything in Blastcores code - I'll be home tomorrow so I can have a look then for you.

Yeah I just tested and I don't think there's a conflict, kinda hard to tell though when it comes to just particles. What would be cool if the bullet hit effects ie dirt smoke puff could be made bigger.

Edited by Bigpickle