Sign in to follow this  
Beagle

ArmA II the day after gamespy

On May 31st 2014 GameSpy will cease to exist. that's in about two weeks. What will happen to non-Steam ArmA II + OA? Are there any plans? Time is running out.

There is still no word what will happen to non steam version of OA since the new beta patches for OA turned to be out to be steam only.

Hi Beagle

The solution to BIS is Steam. There is no solution for non Steam users. You want to play multiplayer you need a steam account to do that. Also there won't be no official patch for non steam users anymore. So I wouldn't hold my breath over it. I asked many times in the beta patch thread, but there's no answer from BIS side. No answer is an answer as well to me.

IMO 1.62 was the last official patch the non steam users will get.

cheers

The solution to BIS is Steam. There is no solution for non Steam users. You want to play multiplayer you need a steam account to do that.
Those that believe this. Have you noticed that the GameSpy logo still appears within the game lobby of your Steam game? Also if you host a dedicated server, then you know that you have to enter GameSpy API announcement information so the public can find your server using the in-game browser, play withSIX, DayZ Commander, or anything else. Even Bohemia Interactive has advertised that they will need to patch the Steam Games, but why hasn't that patch been released yet? I think this delay, so close to the deadline is what worries players.

While you will be able to manually type in an IP address and port to connect to a specific server, how many of us really want to do that? Also how will you find the IP's and ports when the in-game server browser doesn't work any longer.

Hopefully a patch is issued before the shutdown.

We will just have to wait and see....

-Noobac

Those that believe this. Have you noticed that the GameSpy logo still appears within the game lobby of your Steam game?
Considering that Arma 3 has this as well, my expectation is that BI plans to simply remove the GameSpy logo and option (hence the Steam button) at the end of the month, and possibly to do the same for Operation Arrowhead on Steam... this would line up with the decision to enable Steam key redemption via non-Steam A2/OA keys.

Well, I'd like to pour some cold water over the negative posters who have said "tough luck" or similar for non-steam A2 owners. BIS have not been very clear with information about the future of ArmA 2 series retail versions, however ...

I was wondering what to do with my retail DVD ArmA 2 and Sprocket download Operation Arrowhead, given the imminent closure of the GameSpy service at the end of the week.

BIS have previously announced continued support for the Steam versions of their games, but there has been no coherent advice regarding future of the retail disc and download versions.

So ... with three days left and little to lose I took matters into my own hands, fishing out the product keys.

Steam was fired up using a different account to the one with my existing ArmA 2 games in - you can't usually install anything to the same account twice. I already have more than one account, but they're easy to open anyway.

Up to the menu: Games > Activate a Product on Steam... and in went the first product key. What was the worst likely outcome? That they wouldn't activate. Nothing ventured ...

Guess what? It worked! Both of them! My retail DVD ArmA 2 and Sprocket digital download Operation Arrowhead activated successfully into a Steam account. Salvation!

Massive thanks to BIS for ensuring with Valve that retail keys would activate ... However, a slice of that gratitude is countered by a swift kick up the arse for not announcing it clearly and officially. One big fat hearts and minds opportunity squandered perhaps.

Anyways. Retail ArmA 2 series product keys activated in Steam first try and the games are installed and running.

Up to the menu: Games > Activate a Product on Steam... and in went the first product key.

Guess what? It worked! Both of them! My retail DVD ArmA 2 and Sprocket digital download Operation Arrowhead activated successfully into a Steam account. Salvation!

This is great news indeed, that we can register DVD versions of the game onto our Steam Account. Thanks for sharing that.
So ... with three days left and little to lose I took matters into my own hands,
Information that was once certain is now sketchy at the moment regarding the exact day of GameSpy service closure. It was to be the end of the month, but now EA Games is stating that they have been told it has been extended until the end of June. It is only a month, but hey, I'll take it. :)

Does this limitation only apply to public servers?

Or will private servers also be affected?

i.e. if I want to host a game on my server and provide an IP to my friends, will they be unable to connect?

Does this limitation only apply to public servers?

Or will private servers also be affected?

i.e. if I want to host a game on my server and provide an IP to my friends, will they be unable to connect?

Yes, you still be able to directly connect to server as long as it's accessible from the Internet (port forwarded if you are behind the NAT). The shutdown will affect the server browser, there will be no master server (GS) that keeps the list of all available servers.

Well, doesn`t matter, for me it is settled. I won`t buy Arma 3. F U Bohemia. Its a simple thing to set up a listing server for that and change a line of code in a patch so it works for all. I bought the Arma2 DVD version for a reason, i don`t want steam, many people i know don`t want it.

The same reason we stopped developing for Arma, because we dont like to be fucked in the ass for being loyal customers and supporters.

Maybe in 2 years, for 5 bucks on the budget table plus a crack, or right away just a pirated copy like the one i already played, without steam, for the campaign missions, thats the only way Arma3 will see this and many other computers.

Meanwhile i`ll stick to Arma2 and join via IP. Thanks for not giving a fuck Bohemia.

Well, doesn`t matter, for me it is settled. I won`t buy Arma 3. F U Bohemia. Its a simple thing to set up a listing server for that and change a line of code in a patch so it works for all. I bought the Arma2 DVD version for a reason, i don`t want steam, many people i know don`t want it.

The same reason we stopped developing for Arma, because we dont like to be fucked in the ass for being loyal customers and supporters.

Maybe in 2 years, for 5 bucks on the budget table plus a crack, or right away just a pirated copy like the one i already played, without steam, for the campaign missions, thats the only way Arma3 will see this and many other computers.

Meanwhile i`ll stick to Arma2 and join via IP. Thanks for not giving a fuck Bohemia.

Well what do you expect? After the decision of going full Steam they could care less about non steam users.