Sign in to follow this  
jcinto23

Arma 3 jet mounted lasers

Hi, I would like to know if it would be possible to add jet mounted lasers to planes.

This isn't an addon request, i just want to know it would even be possible before I waste a month trying to make it.

The idea of lasers on jets isn't that outlandish. I was originally trying to find fictional jets to model for Arma 3, but almost the entire first page was articles saying the airforce has requested lasers that could be mounted on jets by 2030.

Hi, I would like to know if it would be possible to add jet mounted lasers to planes.

This isn't an addon request, i just want to know it would even be possible before I waste a month trying to make it.

The idea of lasers on jets isn't that outlandish. I was originally trying to find fictional jets to model for Arma 3, but almost the entire first page was articles saying the airforce has requested lasers that could be mounted on jets by 2030.

Are you talking about adding laser so that it can be used as a range finder, etc? Or lasers to shoot down other planes with?

Abs

i guess he means shooty lasers, as pointy lasers are already in use.

I also wondered what the best method would be to make shooty lasers look and work good

Easy. Have a really long muzzle flash, and use missiles with a high speed as ammo. Travels far distances almost immediately. Feel free to check out the videos in my thread for an idea of what they look like, as the addons are classed as planes.

Abs

Easy. Have a really long muzzle flash, and use missiles with a high speed as ammo. Travels far distances almost immediately. Feel free to check out the videos in my thread for an idea of what they look like, as the addons are classed as planes.

Abs

Lasers wouldn't necessarily be like the Star Wars blasters. I've seen the videos and it's really just lazing a target and setting it on fire after heating it up enough.

The idea of star wars blasters is pretty unrealistic yes. If there were weaponized airborne lasers, they'd probably be mounted on 767's or sth for a long time before they're compact enough

The idea of star wars blasters is pretty unrealistic yes. If there were weaponized airborne lasers, they'd probably be mounted on 767's or sth for a long time before they're compact enough

Its not entirely outside of the realm of plausible things. The US Army and Boeing have been looking at using "Directed Energy" weapons (as close ot a star wars blaster as we get atm) for some time. Their primary platform is a future version of the Apache.

I think for the Anti Satelite role you do need something huge because of the range. But for a short range 1-2km weapon it could be possible.

Yea it´s much closer then people think. And that´s official stuff, you never know how long or what the military complex have cooked up that´s not in the public domain at the moment.

Okay, the lasers I saw were meant to be mounted on fighter jets.

All I did was search "2030 jets"

The first few articles are about these.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/us-air-force-fighter-jets-will-have-laser-weapons-by-20-1469667517

http://www.dvice.com/archives/2011/08/this_could_be_t.php

http://theaviationist.com/2013/11/22/usaf-lasers-on-jets/

I assumed it would be a lot like the Ace Combat ADF-1 laser except less potent and maybe not pink.

I have also found a concept of the plane pictured on one of the sites. This probably isn't reliable, but it is still kind of cool. It is apparently a UAV.

boeing_fa_50_bull_frog_ucav_by_bagera3005-d36kmse.png

Abs

But if it has a really long muzzle flash, what happens if the target is closer then the muzzle flash long? It will stick though, which looks weird.

Well there are smaller HEL systems, but i'm not sure how powerfull they are compared to their weight... dont think they can really replace an onboard weapon.

(l to r) 5kW, 1kW, 20kW from rheinmetall

advertised for defense against UAV's and defense against mortar projectiles (30kW -> 3000m), destroying IEDs/Mines and clearing razorwire obstacles (5kW)

Edited by Fennek

Not really. It all happens so fast that it's barely noticeable. Also, you could easily explain that by saying that it blasted a hole through the ship. All it takes is some imagination.

Abs

I think someone made some decent looking lasers in a macross mod once. He used altered tracers and high caliber rounds. i think. VF-1S