Sign in to follow this  
egilsandfeld

Bornholm, Denmark [Terrain WIP]

Thanks a lot guys :)

If you would like to support me in my work, don't hesitate to donate, if you like :)

PPDonate.gif

Doing city signs at the moment:

BornholmByskilt.png

Very glad you switch that sat map. This looks a million times better.

It's to beautiful to wage war on, i think i'll use it as a holiday retreat for my battle-hardened squad!!

Arma mapping doesn't involve patching in buildings I think..

Flemdot the buildings are mostly arma 3 and arma 2 buildings, they should work with ai they don't need anything extra.

Assuming you play fallout, maybe this is why you think it, but arma 3 doesn't use anything similar to navmeshes if that is what you are thinking about I believe.

Anyway that isn't exactly a thing for the mapper to do it should work I believe.

Amazing, I literally cannot wait for this. Combine this with East vs West Mod = EPIC battles in a Cold War Setting. This map has captured more Operation Flashpoint than any other map I've seen (even the re-hashed original maps).

Arma mapping doesn't involve patching in buildings I think..

Flemdot the buildings are mostly arma 3 and arma 2 buildings, they should work with ai they don't need anything extra.

Assuming you play fallout, maybe this is why you think it, but arma 3 doesn't use anything similar to navmeshes if that is what you are thinking about I believe.

Anyway that isn't exactly a thing for the mapper to do it should work I believe.

I actually just meant stone or dirt pathways :)

Ah I see.

Trust me when I tell you, because the way it works, yes the roadways etc will work for pathing.

The roads are "known" to the engine already as roads, so it tells ai to go on them,

Same goes for dirt pathways ( dirt roads at least).

News update August 25

After last week where I had major issues with Terrain Builder not being able to save any work, I have now sort of solved it and can again save work. The issue was something with model swapping not being allowed unless I saved the templates before saving the project. Long story short - it seems to work again. So I'm constantly improving the configs, looks and placing lots of objects on Bornholm. When I'm done placing objects I need to go through a long list of stuff that I have pushed until after this phase. I don't think it will take up much time, so I'm hoping to release Bornholm before November.. and maybe as a part of Make Arma Not War :)

Again I must emphasize the raw beauty this island has become especially after the updates on the satellite layer. It's really made a huge difference!

An open question, would any of you know any maize/corn or taller sunflower models available to use for my terrain? It cannot be Minimalaco and Robster's PRAA vegetation as the MLODs has dissappeared and doesn't work properly for me in A3. So any sunflower or corn models out there?

Try SmokeDog... He's got some nice vegetation for his Sangin maps, honestly not sure if they're bespoke, but they look nice :-)

Thanks serjames, I have looked at them already but they do not fit right in unfortunately. Luckily it is actually Bad Benson who has made the original corn plants, and he might still have the MLODs somewhere for me :) Stay tuned for popcorn!

Ah I see.

Trust me when I tell you, because the way it works, yes the roadways etc will work for pathing.

The roads are "known" to the engine already as roads, so it tells ai to go on them,

Same goes for dirt pathways ( dirt roads at least).

No i really meant pathways leading to buildings and stuff nothing to do with navmeshes, just for visual purposes. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Academic_building_on_a_hill_and_pathway_at_Cornell_University.jpg (210 kB)

No i really meant pathways leading to buildings and stuff nothing to do with navmeshes, just for visual purposes.

At least here in Finland, they are not common ( I don't remember in the Danish countryside ).

At least here in Finland, they are not common ( I don't remember in the Danish countryside ).

I'm sure there would be dirt pathways caused by frequent walking. It just looks odd hat the building are placed on grass without any wear near the entrances.

Well if evil makes a dirt pathway by just not placing grass (like a path of non grass ) by having a dirt uncovered dirt texture under there, ai won't favor it I believe unless he somehow defines that path I think (if your still thinking about ai flemdot)

Anyway,pretty much anywhere where people walk or jog in the forest/park and bike frequently, there is a path of sorts. (And Bornholm is super popular for tourists, mostly polish that come and bike around the island if I remember correctly)

I'm sure there would be dirt pathways caused by frequent walking. It just looks odd hat the building are placed on grass without any wear near the entrances.

You are right. But it'll take years to do that individually on each house. I have tried making areas around house to gravel underground to fake that, but that just looks worse than the grass currently. And since it's a lush, green island I would prefer to keep the grass if I was to choose between the two options :)

Think I'm starting on the last big tile today, fellas! :) This one includes Rønne (Capital you could say), Nyker, Arnager, Sorthat and Muleby. Apart from Rønne it is quite straight forward. Oh and I must do the airport as well. Going to be fun :)

I don't know how the terrain builder works so this may be a stupid suggestion, but I lay down some crass cutter marks when I place buildings or make small FOBs in the mission editor. Put a couple in front of entrances, gates etc and things look more realistic when structures are placed on grass. It give a impression of some wear and that people actually live there. Many arma towns get the 'deserted for years feeling' when tall grass is everywhere.

This may be very tedious on a large map though if the grass cutter tools are small circles like in the mission editor :)

Cut grass road

9sGYDag.jpg[/img]

+1 for that lived in look...

We don't mind an early release then a few towns or villages spruced up every now and again as updates...? :-)

Good news, best of luck!

I wonder if there is/is going to be a city square type area in any city?

Like a city square in front of a chernarus town hall building, with some benches and those trees in those circular holder thingys

With a cobblestone square or something..idk if they have anything like that in Bornholm but it sounds fitting.

;) good idea maybe?? :)

Also, maybe do some parking lots in the city mate, we have to put cars somewhere.

Keep up the great work.