Sign in to follow this  
egilsandfeld

Bornholm, Denmark [Terrain WIP]

Those sounds are awesome! Although it seems like they're a bit too constant, but I imagine that's just the video being sped up.

+1 for the island being standalone as well. Unfortunately A3MP is too large for what it is, and I'd love to be able to use this map without having to download the 4+ GB that comes with A3MP.

Those sounds are awesome! Although it seems like they're a bit too constant, but I imagine that's just the video being sped up.

Those god damn birds do tend to sound very constant just like that, especially out in the fields and forests where it's demonstrated in the video. As much as I hate trying to sleep to this IRL every morning (I work nights :p ), it's still a very cool ambient sound to hear on an island like this in Arma. Any scandinavian should feel right as home :D It blends perfectly with the sound outside of my window right now.

But then I guess it's also a question of whether it's a bit overwhelming or distracting in a game compared to reality. We'll see! Would be nice to hear it at normal speed as well later on.

Edited by Mr. Bravo

Yes the ingame time was sped up to 4x time, so the triggers went off very quickly. He he I actually had some trouble differentiating outside birds from the mix when listening :) But that would be a luxurious problem for me ;)

Started on a new terrain tile. Each tile is 5 x 5 km, so it'll take some time finishing this one off. But I keep having progress :)

Looks beautiful! Can't wait to fire a gun in Ekkodalen (echo valley) and hear what it sounds like ;-). Hope that someone is able to help out with some characteristic buildings such as the churches. Really nice Scandinavian feeling to it. Reminds me a bit of Thirsk. Keep it up, area around Hammershus that you made is gorgeous :-)

Update May 31 - Fly around

Update June 1 - Almindingen forest look

News June 5: Almost done with the Northern end of Bornholm. Finishing tiles of 5 x 5 km right now is the priority. There's a lot of farm compounds to be laid down, but it's rewarding to create them and see AIs use the compound for cover :) I'm also thinking on adding sound marks at different location to richen the atmosphere. I'm thinking on creating invisible objects which casts sound in a radius around it. Think it can be done. Anyway, just want to let you know that I'm progressing steadily!

Edited by EgilSandfeld

Drop Dead Gorgeous!

Yep, it looks better and better, I can "feel" the Nordic touch more and more. You're doing a great job:)

Holy lort!

Such nice progress, I can't wait to use this map bro.

I am curious if you have updated that map on the first page that showed your progress? If you didn't could you make a new one and post it because I think it helps give a visual of how done it is.

(The map with the colored squares)

Thanks

-MikeTim

I am curious if you have updated that map on the first page that showed your progress? If you didn't could you make a new one and post it because I think it helps give a visual of how done it is.

(The map with the colored squares)

Thanks

-MikeTim

Hi Mike :) Sure I needed to update it to my current tile in progress. It's updated now :)

Progress.png

Looking Great EgilSandfeld cant wait to play this, sure some excellent game play will come off this map

Thanks alot mate.

Good work and holy sh**e

that is much more completed than I expected wow nice.

What is the situation with using building assets? So far you clearly are using ArmA 2 props and I assume also ArmA 3 ones (Yeah the abandoned millitary site was a a3 prop)

Have you considered using MGB german buildings? I think they would fit.

Also, are you going to use any custom made buildings/props or anything? I would like to see some military training areas, maybe with those cool towers from the celle 2 training area :)

Also I am curious how you are doing power lines? Are you going to use any, if any are you using those big Altis ones, the smaller ones etc.

Nice work and thanks for making this beautiful terrian, it looks really well done especially the bumpiness, I am curious if there are any mountains, I looked up the irl highest point and it isnt very high but maybe I am confused about it.

Thanks alot, great work :cool:

-MikeTim

Looking really nice bro, keep it up

Also, are you going to use any custom made buildings/props or anything?

I got Tobe on the case doing some custom buildings for me, but that's mostly iconic buildings of Bornholm like churches.

There's a big military terrain on the South end of the island luckily for you then :)

Also I am curious how you are doing power lines?

Power Lines takes ages to place properly with the lines so I'm avoiding that. In Denmark we have almost entirely moved to having power lines in the ground instead, so the high voltage towers remaining on the island is "due to be taken down soon" :)

As the description said Bornholm is just 164m tall, so this is not an island for mountain battles. Luckily other guys like NeoArmageddon and M!lkmand and Smokedog are doing terrains at the moment with taller terrain. I wanted to make another style of map where it's harder to get an overview before moving into an AO. Luckily in A3 we have lots of remote controlled things to scan in front of us like drones.

But thanks for your kind words :)

Ah, that is cool man.

How is performance on this map? I would assume its better than Altis but...:confused: I wouldn't know.

I am hoping to use this as a replacement of sorts for "Celle" 2 because that map lags sometimes and this is a nice and flat map like that one with a nice Scandinavian feel :)

It is also good to hear there will be a nice millitary area, I read somewhere they had very few barracks there irl and wanted to remove it because bornholm was no longer strategic for soviet forces, I wonder if that is true or what?

Those black pavement roads are looking nice.

I am looking forward to it keep going man.

With its lush and rich environment in the North European flora it is expected to be a bit heavier on the computer than e.g. Altis, which is more desert(ed). That being said I'm more than often able to maintain 40-50 FPS, about the same as I can on Altis.

I will of course keep this in mind when placing objects, but right now I'm only struggling with frames in the maize/corn fields right now. I'm working on that issue :)

Thanks a lot for your donations so far! Really appreciated. It just gives me even more desire to get this beauty of a terrain done!

:eek:

I sometimes get some pretty sh*t frames on altis.

:(

I think it should turn out alright though.

I am curious what your specs are so I can have a point of reference.

Thanks

Hi,

This is awesome work! I look forward to it's release. :)

Cheers!

Wow just wow. So much detail and lush lush grass. Ps. for some reason I really like lots of grass. Truly looks really good mate keep it up because it really is awesome.

Thanks for your effort, the community will definitely be using this,

Raid

That's also my favorite feature. A more lush environment makes for the best of playing grounds, and immersion. The green is perfect too. I'm tired of looking at barren landscapes.

This looks very nice already..and very green, love it. I am a bit afraid so about the performance some might get there ..pretty sure we will have to turn down the visible / object range slider. Also what about AI navigation? In woodland areas using AI might be hard XD.. but wont be worse than in Chernarus ;) . By the way looking at this http://blog.moricky.com/post/59384853947/game-maps I am a bit confused with your calculation as 20kmx14km would be 280km^2 which is as big as Altis but still less then 400km^2 ?? (27kmx20km with a factor of 2/3 I'd expect) Anyway your project is big either way.

Edited by Kumeda

You could not have picked a cooler place to use to make a map, I am very impressed! I hope to see a beta very soon.

Thanks guys :) Yeah Bornholm is a neat little island ;)

Got time to do some video updates again.

Nexoe Harbour Area

Joboland - Theme Park

saw one of your bugs at the end of the video the godforsaken "streetlight" with street emphasized

@Egilsandfeld

What were those 2 tall buildings/skyscrapers in that Nexø harbour area? In the city? Were those the "international hotel" buildings from chernarus? Or some other building?

I am just curious.

Good use of those Altis resort buildings in Joboland, are you using the mbg buldings pack for the map? I thought in one of your earlier (much much earlier) videos I saw one from that pack, I might be wrong though.

I think those point brownish houses from the old mbg buildings (forget which one) would go well on there tho.

Anyway nice job, keep it up.

There were some really crazy pop ins on those logs, I hope that can be fixed lol.