egilsandfeld

Bornholm, Denmark [Terrain WIP]

Bornholm-Logo.png

Bornholm, Denmark Version 1.0 has been released :D

Download, info, discussion continue here instead:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?184446-Bornholm-Denmark-Terrain

News

August 25

After last week where I had major issues with Terrain Builder not being able to save any work, I have now sort of solved it and can again save work. The issue was something with model swapping not being allowed unless I saved the templates before saving the project. Long story short - it seems to work again. So I'm constantly improving the configs, looks and placing lots of objects on Bornholm. When I'm done placing objects I need to go through a long list of stuff that I have pushed until after this phase. I don't think it will take up much time, so I'm hoping to release Bornholm before November.. and maybe as a part of Make Arma Not War

Again I must emphasize the raw beauty this island has become especially after the updates on the satellite layer. It's really made a huge difference!

August 3

Almost finished the area of Dueodde, located in the South of Bornholm. This area is stuffed with holiday homes in pine woods on sand and rather dry terrain. In this video I'm taking a tour through the 6 km long stretch of holiday homes, but I'm also shortly viewing new features to my many bushes - AI can no longer see through them!

The island is REALLY coming along very well. I now have 4 5x5km tiles left and then the largest city of Roenne. Its so rewarding to place objects and trying it ingame.

Again thanks a lot for your donations, I really appreciate them :)

July 7:

After a bit of vacation I'm back in the saddle. Finishing the current tile of 5 x 5km covering Nexoe. Nexoe took quite a while to finish up as it's a large city with plenty of houses, harbour stuff etc.. Also I have sort of tweaked the sat, normal and mask layers now so they look quite natural. Lighting does a lot to the sat layer both when on the ground and in the sky looking at it, so we'll see how it ends up with some proper lighting soon hopefully.

I've really started to play some short missions myself on the terrain to take the focus away from the island it self. Main purpose is to reveal if anything stands out negatively on the island which can conflict when really playing on Bornholm. It's getting better and better definitely, and it's so much fun popping up and down behind small woods in the AH6 to shoot terrorists in technicals ;)

Overall, progressing really fine at the moment. Going to start on the big tile this week, but the largest amount of work is done as most cities and towns have been finished already :) Left is Rønne, Aakirkeby, Dueodde, Vestermarie and Nylars which will take time, but only Rønne is really large. Besides that there should be a lot of great compounds/farms in the South as well as a closed military area of Raghammer Shootingfacility (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9959158/Arma/Raghammer-grundkort.pdf).

Back to work! Keep the donations coming please, I REALLY appriciate it and it gives me so much joy to continue working on Bornholm :)

June 5: Almost done with the Northern end of Bornholm. Finishing tiles of 5 x 5 km right now is the priority. There's a lot of farm compounds to be laid down, but it's rewarding to create them and see AIs use the compound for cover :) I'm also thinking on adding sound marks at different location to richen the atmosphere. I'm thinking on creating invisible objects which casts sound in a radius around it. Think it can be done. Anyway, just want to let you know that I'm progressing steadily!

May 17: Started this thread to keep my spirit high with working on Bornholm. Here's some in game photos of how it looks currently:

http://i.imgur.com/Med74Eg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/i9VF6FP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YQKoIJl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BznhKTD.jpg

Support me in my work

As of May 2014 I've spent at least 300 hours of my spare time working on Bornholm for Arma 3. Though I'm not counting every hour it definitely adds up to a large amount of time being spent. Anyway to make it short - If you like what you see and want to back me up or just give me a pat on the back you may donate any amount of USD you like to me. It's very simple; Just hit the button below and select what ever you like. Anything is very much appreciated, be that $5 or more. Think it like this, $5 is a good pack of candy which can keep me going all night, so I'll be done before schedule ;) Thanks a lot in advance.

PPDonate.gif

Progress

Progress.png

Track Map shows green areas for Completed, Orange for Work In Progress

About

Bornholm, Denmark is an island for Arma 3 and is an independant stand-alone mod that do not require stuff like A3MP.

The real deal Bornholm is located as the most Eastern island in Denmark. See the Google Map for location: http://goo.gl/R8vWgj

Bornholm covers about 588 square kilometres and the Arma 3 variant will be designed in a 2/3 scale making the island area cover about 400km2. Altis in comparison is 270km2. The island will have a span of about 20km x 14km. The population of Bornholm is 40.000 people, it's one of few rocky islands in Denmark, height is between 0 to 164m with a lot of variation. The resolution of the heightmap used for the Arma version is 5.5 meters. This is enough to make ditches, smaller canyons, detailed hills etc.. Altis in comparison is 7.5 meters. The vegetation ranges from dry pine plantations to lush beech and birch forests depending on the area of operation. In the center of the island, Almindingen is the largest forest with mostly pine trees.

When I'm done I'm going to count, but I expect the number of compounds/farms to reach at least 1000.

My lowest goal is to have the ground, heightmap, elevation changes and so on to be 90% real, while it's just not possible to be 100% correct on the details because of engine limitations in Arma and because of time constraints. Placing wise I'm aiming for 1 building placed for every 5 real buildings. But as of now I'm rather at 4/5 because it's so exciting to run around in! Anyhow, my goal is still to make a crowded island. In fact to give you a better idea, these are the keywords I'm working from: Crowded, tight, claustrophobic, lost, pretty and not destroyed environment, bright, relaxing. Some of the keywords might give you ideas, other maybe won't. But that's okay.

Time frame for completion: "Soon-ish". My internal goal is to finish it within 6 months from May, however this is a giant project with many unknown factors along the way, so don't expect it anytime time soon-soon. Instead you can expect continous updates on the progress with photos and video.

Again, if you like my work do not hesitate to throw a donation my way. See how under "Support me in my work".

As you guys in this community rocks, I would appreciate constructive criticism and ideas for making the final experince of Bornholm even better. You can do it by commenting on my YouTube videos (Subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/user/Sandfeld) or posting in this thread. Thanks for reading through this and I really hope you look forward to it as much as I do.

Media

Darkness.... Before the light!

The Dawn of a new day

Update June 17 - Nexoe Harbour Area

Update June 18 - Joboland - Theme Park

Update July 7 - Nexoe, proper grass and asphalt

Update July 15 - 1200 rocks just placed

Update August 4 - 6 km of holiday homes

Update August 5 - Christiansoe

Update August 7 - Raghammer

Update August 14 - Satellite layer update

Edited by EgilSandfeld

Dark & Creepy... I like :rolleyes:

I think my monitor is broken ... can't see anything in the video. I know you want to keep us in suspenders, but a little more would be nice ;)

I watch this drunk, but very enjoyable nevertheless.Recommended the same to everyone!

Show us the real beauty of Denmark this is not attracting tourists :D

Finally, scandinavian map is what i've been waiting for ever since the launch of Arma 3. Good luck on the project! :icon14: :D

A little more info would have been nice from a WIP thread, ill have to retry watching it using enex's method :)

Dude i liked it...please give me the soundtrack you used too...would be very very nice for a zombies gameplay

Wooh, Bornholm, it's finally coming to Arma :D I've been waiting for someone to attempt this for a long time! God damn tease video, but oh well we'll get to see more whenever it is ready for it I suppose :) Keep it up!

Outstanding! You really know how to create hype on us hahaha

Judging for the video it looks really good. Can't wait to know more about it.

BTW is this map gonna have any addon requirement, or just standalone?

You know, it's funny. You can't really appreciate it as much until it's taken away from you. Taken by the DARKNESS!

It's super purty

Updated OP with a lot of information + Added video to OP:

Update May 2

Update May 8

Nice update, the roads look real good. How does the crazy A3 pathtracking AI works in them?

Those road bumps! I'm in love. I don't care much if AI isn't :D

This looks so beautiful :)

Can't wait until I can play on it :D

Amazing. I remember Bornholm from my vacation trip there, a long time ago. It's an awesome island. :) Very friendly, calm and beautiful. The amusement park ("Joboland") and the zoo in Balka were perhaps the best parts, but the whole island is very picturesque, especially the towns. Really looking forward to it. :)

Once again, awesome progress!

Not sure if I missed it in your comments in the videos, but are you planning to add any custom buildings to match the environment as well? Or is the current mixture of Chernarus/Altis-buildings to stay?