Sign in to follow this  
stanerzz

Information about stealing of textures !

To start im not sure if this is the correct place to put this thread, Still kinda new here

okay so lets start the thread,

I used to belong to a role-play server that i done some texturing for, i recently got banned from the server with very little warning and have asked them to stop using my textures, despite the fact i did this the owner refuses to contact me back and just proceeds to use them without my consent and does not even credit me for then. Instead he passes them off as his own and releases them in his community mod pack. What grounds do i stand ? can i use these textures on my new community life server ? does he have the right to use them without my consent ? is he allowed to edit these textures at all?

I really need to know as i DONT want him using them and i want to know what i can do about it

Thanks in advance for the information

Well anybody on these forums will tell you its not cool. As far as how to stop them from using them, you'd be better off contacting a moderator for these forums and/or a BIS DEV. They might be able to provide better info for you. But just to be civil I wouldn't openly bash someone on these forums publicly, better done privately :)

Sounds good to me sir, I hope it did not come across as "bashing" is i tried my best not mention server names and all that so that it was not to direct. any ways thanks for the information :)

I don't want to come across as a complete "pain" I mean i'm all open to open source stuff after all i'm currently developing British police textures but you know when your credited at least that's kinda un cool

I don't consider your post bashing. But you can see how it might go south real fast. You did it perfectly(not mentioning names, etc). We all understand your frustration, as you have every right to be upset if its your material. I truely wish you good luck and I hope it all works out for you :)

I've noticed, you're from the UK, so I don't really know about the legal situation over there, but in Germany for example this would be a simple infringement of the copyright law. You could then take the legal action of issuing a call to order (it's not that easy to translate terms of German legal practice :D), as every texture is your work and you can decide who's allowed to use them and who's not. In most cases you don't have to, as informing the accused of the intended course of action might be enough. A few textures aren't worth having to deal with a call to order, or even paying a penalty (if any benefits have been generated by using copyrighted material).

But, again, this is the case in German law, I don't know how you guys over there do your copyright law or where the place of venue of your former community is. I'd be reading up on that or get some information from fellow legal counselors, if I were you. (Just keep in mind that the effort might not cover the expenses...)

Edited by Pergor

There's very little BIS can or will do in this situation, it has nothing to do with them in the slightest - your dispute is with a private individual and their private server - your only course of action if he refuses to stop using those textures you produced is a legal route, but as ever, unless his 'infringement' affects you financially, rather than 'personally', then it's money and time best spent elsewhere.

Awww this is a shame :( hell i will just pack all my textures up and release them to the community to use and take advantage of that way it will not be unique to just a server

Awww this is a shame :( hell i will just pack all my textures up and release them to the community to use and take advantage of that way it will not be unique to just a server

Probably the only thing you can do.

IP rights are a tough thing to fight internationally. Even if a country does have IP laws, you're going to have to be a larger company or have a lot of money for legal bills if you want to see anything done.

Shame that, I mean after all there just a bunch of .paa files nothing worth going to court for. I will release them when i release my british police textures and my marvel comics suv textures

you should feel good that your texture are being used and liked by others, not just wasted away in the HD. you know and others will, the credit is, lesson learn put a feather in your hat.

don't let it rent space in your mind, don't let your self be control by some other person. move on to better thing's.

Shame that, I mean after all there just a bunch of .paa files nothing worth going to court for. I will release them when i release my british police textures and my marvel comics suv textures

The general rule with releasing content - especially to the internet is that there's a possibility it will be used without your permission or against your "EULA".