fred41

using large page memory mapping, for increased performance

Fred41, a month ago I tried this with Win x86 and 3.5GB RAM, but had no visible improvement and you said: "Greenfist, move to 64bit OS and upgrade to at least 8GB, ASAP :)"

Well, today I did. First without the tweaks, and again; no visible gain. Then with this and the custom malloc. Now I'm flying back and forth the Kavala main street 20m above ground at 600km/h and with 5km view distance. And not a single stutter or a drop below 60fps in sight!

So I just dropped by to say: thank you Microsoft for 64 bit OS. Thank you my RAM vendor for the 8GB. And thank you Fred for all your work. :biggrin_o:

That is all. Carry on.

@Greenfist, this are really good news, in every sense :)

UPDATE:

I have added a little GUI tool for simplest setup of large page access for arma (GMF tweak and tbbmalloc).

LPManager will replace GMF.exe. Please read LPManager.txt for usage details.

For Windows 8 users: the name of user account, that is used to run arma (start arma, 'taskmanager'->'details'->'User Name')

@danczer, thanks for your hint.

I have updated the instructions in initial post accordingly.

Much thanks for that fix

Wasnt able to play online with 18-27 fps and lags.

Now i have 30-35 without lags.

AMD Phenom II x4 965

Could it work for dayz standalone too? :)

Much thanks for that fix

Wasnt able to play online with 18-27 fps and lags.

Now i have 30-35 without lags.

AMD Phenom II x4 965

Could it work for dayz standalone too? :)

You can try. I've done that already but I didn't see improvement but it was expected. At least there shouldn't be any harm of the registry tweak for the game.

This is single handedly the best fix/tweak for me in the game. Nothing else had so much difference and improvement in my game.

Using the LPManager.exe, got a good boost on my heavy load benchmark --say 15-20% or about 5 fps.

That's 5 frames when i need'em the most.

Good job & thanks!

This tweak was great, and gave me a boost! Thanks!

One issue though, which might not be related to this tweak. I got a new computer, and even after the first hr i downloaded this tweak. That beeing said, my computer hangs/freezes randomly like once a day and i dont know why! I'm in the middle of troubleshooting, and just to be sure i want to remove this tweak in case its conflicting with windows7 and mem. Or is that unlikely? How to i un-install this?

edit: wait a min, i didnt use the LPManager, i installed the GMF.exe without it beeing in the ARMA3 root folder. is that bad?

Edited by domestar

This tweak was great, and gave me a boost! Thanks!

One issue though, which might not be related to this tweak. I got a new computer, and even after the first hr i downloaded this tweak. That beeing said, my computer hangs/freezes randomly like once a day and i dont know why! I'm in the middle of troubleshooting, and just to be sure i want to remove this tweak in case its conflicting with windows7 and mem. Or is that unlikely? How to i un-install this?

edit: wait a min, i didnt use the LPManager, i installed the GMF.exe without it beeing in the ARMA3 root folder. is that bad?

You can use LPManager to fully reverse the tweak. Just run LPManager from A3 root dir (as admin) and uncheck the both checkboxes.

Anyway, i think you should check your RAM with a tool like this:

http://memtest86.com/download.htm

Greets,

Fred41

What exactly do I have to do to get this working? Just use the LPManager from the first post or do I also need to run Arma with some tbbmalloc.dll? If yes, where do I find it?

@Tonic87,

for the GMF tweak, presented here, you only have to look at the initial post of this thread for detailed usage instructions ('LPManager' is the easy way).

The custom memory allocator 'tbbmalloc for arma' is independent of this GMF tweak, but you can use it additionally, if you like.

Infos about 'tbbmalloc for arma' can you find here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?163640-Arma3-and-the-LARGEADDRESSAWARE-flag-%28memory-allocation-gt-2GB%29

Greets,

Fred41

Panda AV identifies this (just downloaded LPManager today) as hosting Exploit.gen in the binary. I know it's not uncommon for such applications to conflict with AV software but I also see this thread hasn't been touched in awhile. I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Panda AV identifies this (just downloaded LPManager today) as hosting Exploit.gen in the binary. I know it's not uncommon for such applications to conflict with AV software but I also see this thread hasn't been touched in awhile. I'd rather be safe than sorry!

generic detections from random AV heuristics are most of the time

also the recent version is https://github.com/fred41/tbbmalloc_arma/tree/master/tool

the old version https://github.com/fred41/GimmeMoarFrames/tree/master/GimmeMoarFrames

Could we get the non logging tbbmalloc? Would be nice to use when I'm already sure that it's working and don't need the logs.

Current dev branch doesn't like the registry tweak part:

1. use regedit to create/set DWORD value 'UseLargePages' = 1, for key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\arma3.exe]

(or just merge GMF_on.reg from github repository)

I needed to change it back to 0 or my game would crash on launch.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22315

Current dev branch doesn't like the registry tweak part:

I needed to change it back to 0 or my game would crash on launch.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22315

Well that is bad news indeed. I hope this is something temporary otherwise I will avoid any future updates . Playing without the registry tweak is not an option for me at least until they fix the performance enough so we can play without it.

remember you need always change the flag on the .exe on Windows 7 / Server 2008 otherwise it always crash with this tweak

Yeah what the flag means? Some more information about what you said would be very welcome.

The UseLargePages is the flag.

(edit. or maybe not)

Edited by Greenfist