fred41

using large page memory mapping, for increased performance

With the latest stable update 1.68, large page usage is simpler than ever before.

Basically large page mapping is possible and useful for 1. code and 2. data

for 1.(code):

use regedit to create/set DWORD value 'UseLargePages' = 1, for key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\arma3_x64.exe]

for 2.(data)

either use BI's default allocator and simple add -hugePages to your arma start line (i think the launcher provides a checkbox for this already),

or use blub's 'xtbbmalloc.dll' for some interesting features like diagnostics, etc, the performance advantage should be the same

In any case, your (windows) useraccount must have the 'Lock pages in memory' privilege enabled (probably already done, if not use secpol.msc).

I am getting surprisingly amazing performance with this tweak

@JumpingHubert, don't believe him, he's joking as usual :) (but at least there is a real difference)

Thank you grand master for your contributions on the ruthless -unfair struggle for some moar FPS

Will try almost ASAP

:)

*added later*

Although i should add...

I m using 'by default' your custom malloc both dedi and client

1 question plz.

I should let -maxMem=3072 /disable it /or raise the number?? oO

Edited by GiorgyGR

Does this go into arma 3 folder and then merge or on desktop and then hit merge? thank you

I thought all I needed was to use the '-doublefps' startup parameter. ;) just kidding

Under what kind of circumstances would you say this should improve performance?

My results are:

Heavy AI fight in town: 29.3 fps average before -> 30.8 after

Altis bnchmrk: 47.3 -> 47.0 and 53 -> 54

I'm running a Win 7, 32bit with 4GB RAM

@GiorgyGR, it depends on the amount of physical RAM in your system (without any relation to the reg. tweak presented here).

@bravo409, it doesn't matter where the file is located, you just merge it and the data are in your registry, thats all

@Greenfist, move to 64bit OS and upgrade to at least 8GB, ASAP :)

@JumpingHubert, never trust statistics, which you didn't manipulated by yourself ;)

!!!!!! Guys, sorry, i forgot to mention that the 'lock pages in memory' privileg have to be set for large page availability, will update initial post accordingly !!!!!

So, if you don't use 'tbbmalloc for arma' already successfully, you have to pay attention to this privilege now.

Edited by Fred41

@Greenfist, move to 64bit OS and upgrade to at least 8GB, ASAP :)

Yeah, I know. So, improvements only for 64bits? I guess it's time to give my 4 year old trustworthy windows installation its well-earned retirement.

Yeah, I know. So, improvements only for 64bits? I guess it's time to give my 4 year old trustworthy windows installation its well-earned retirement.

... i am not absolutly sure, you could set the 'lock pages in memory' privilege as described and give it a new try ...

But generally i think, it is time for an upgrade. Sorry, it hurts to say that.

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

UPDATE:

added a little tool for easiest usage (see initial post for details)

Hi Fred,

Keen to use your exe and wanted to check this first

Does this:

GimmeMoarFrames armausername

mean my steam username or the profile in Arma that I use (for example if my current Arma profile was BigBoy then I would type GimmeMoarFrames BigBoy in the command line)?

Hi Fred,

Keen to use your exe and wanted to check this first

Does this:

GimmeMoarFrames armausername

mean my steam username or the profile in Arma that I use (for example if my current Arma profile was BigBoy then I would type GimmeMoarFrames BigBoy in the command line)?

Hi, nothing of both. This is the windows useraccount name, the name of the account, which you use to start arma (supports client only currently).

when I hit merge I get a error Say cannot access REG

Hp amd Phenom 8400 triple core processor 2.10ghz

3.00 GB RAM Memory

32 bit

vista

Graphic card Nvidia GT 630

@bravo409, with only 3GB system memory? I don't think that this will really work, sorry.

@JumpingHubert, don't believe him, he's joking as usual :) (but at least there is a real difference)

I am really not joking! I am seeing a really huge improvement! Like night and day!

well, don't take it personal, but I'd rather not run some exe which I know nothing about. I'd appreciate if you could just describe what it does, a short how-to to make these changes manually.

@Fred41

I'm sure you're a nice chap, but I'm with brainbug; I won't be running the .exe nor would I advise anyone else to. There could be any sort of payload attached to that.

When trying to run the command in cmd it tells me the exe is not compatible with my version of windows. I'm on Win7 Pro x64.

initial post updated, with info about manual methode (for mor experienced users)

@Brainbug & RuairiAU, i basically share your concerns

@vegeta897, use the 'RAW' button in github to download the 'GimmeMoarFrames.exe' binary file

Very interesting I wonder if it actually works and if it actually makes enough difference to use it.

I will wait for further reading and results before I attempt to use it. Thank you Fred41 for actually trying to do something about Arma3 performance:)

Very interesting I wonder if it actually works and if it actually makes enough difference to use it.

I will wait for further reading and results before I attempt to use it. Thank you Fred41 for actually trying to do something about Arma3 performance:)

Why wouldn't you try it yourself? The operation is non-invasive, completely reversible and done in a minute.

I'm at work :) But I will try this out later today .

Edited by Nikiforos

I didn't do a numbers test but it definitely FEELS noticeably smoother.

Thanks Fred

Seriously guys? 1000 views on the thread and I'm the only one who posted any kind of measured results? C'mon people, we need moar feedback and benchmarks! (and fps) :D