Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

[Poll] Community Spotlights

Would you like to see "Community Spotlights Interviews" ?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see "Community Spotlights Interviews" ?

• Yes, it can be interesting.
    • No, it's useless and I have no interest.
    • I don't care

Community Spotlights Interviews

Page 1:

interview of Kydoimos

Page 3:

interview of konyo

Edited by Wiki

My first guest will be... konyo!

So, please send me your questions in PM and specify "Community Spotlights" in the subject.

Cool. It would be interesting too if you posted a sort of "pre-interview", mentioning what the interviewee has been involved with, like a basic introduction.

Just a suggestion!

Good suggestion.

So, the first guest will be konyo, creator of the SOAR MH-47E for ArmA 2 and ArmA 3.

here is the link to his addon:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?177084-Boeing-SOAR-MH-47E-ArmA-III-v1-0

I already have a couple of questions for him, but please, all of you can participate.

As said before, send me your questions in PM and specify "Community Spotlights" in the subject, and I'll submit them to him.

So, I'll do the interview soon - as soon as I can and konyo aswell.

It should be online next week. If YOU have some questions, please send them before the beginning of next week (tuesday max).

Thanks

So, change of plan: my first guest is kydoimos!

Here is the interview.

-Hi Kydoimos. Please, can you introduce yourself?

-Hi, I'm Kydoimos, and I'm from the South Coast of England

-How old are you, and what do you do in life?

- I'm 31, and I'm a fellow Armaholic. Also, a student of Literature and Classical Studies and a bookseller in my local bookshop.

-How did you discover ArmA?

-Neat story actually. I was at my best mate's wedding last year and I got chatting with his younger brother. He said he was 'hooked on the Alpha version of ArmA 3' - so, I said 'haven't heard of that one, mate - any good?'. He then proceeded to tell me it was a follow up from Operation Flashpoint - a game I remember playing obsessively in my younger years. His wife told him to tell me 'about the fork'. I said 'fork?' and he says 'yeah, the map is so big I have to stick a fork in my keyboard to cross it, while I do other things...'. At that point, I new I had to get my hands on ArmA 3. Now I have my very own 'keyboard fork'.

-So, BIS games are not new for you.

-No, but I missed out on ArmA and ArmA 2, which is sad.

-Will you play them when you have time?

-Perhaps - but I must admit, I'm a sucker for aesthetics. ArmA 3 looks so stunning, it'd be hard for me to step back. Then again, there is the gameplay and multiplayer aspect to experience... so, we'll see!

-Have you played the whole BIS campaign in ArmA 3?

-Indeed - it was quite an experience!

-So, there was no disappointement for ou in this campaign?

-If I'm honest, like a lot of people, I felt a little let down by the ending - which posed more questions than it answered. 'Survive' was the high point for me, and certain parts of 'Adapt' - particularly

the convoy ambush.

-Is this why you decided to create your own campaign? Or was it just for the contest? Or both?

-My decision to create the campaign began before the contest - BIS' announcement just gave me the added incentive. But ever since Operation FlashPoint, I've spent more time in the in-game editor than the single player campaign. I love to create things. And it's just a massive bonus if anyone else derives any pleasure from it.

-So, you're more a creator than a player?

-Absolutely - and whenever I play, I'm looking and studying - examining the content - thinking 'would this work?' or 'wow, why didn't I think of that?'

-Do you have a clan? And do you play multi?

-No, not yet - but I'm considering joining one post-project. And if I go multiplayer, it's usually lone wolf on Wasteland. I have a penchant for creating road blocks on Altis and ambushing unsuspecting drivers travelling from one peninsular to another... it's like fishing. Others might call it camping...

-In your opinion, what is the best strength of ArmA 3? And its biggest weakness?

-Concerning the strenght of ArmA 3, it's its freedom - I suppose. Freedom to create and to explore. Regarding weakness...That's a tough one - but I suppose, its one weakness is linked to one of its other strengths. It is ambitious - maybe even too ambitious. There's still a long way to go!

-If you had the possibility to change or add something in ArmA 3 - whatever you want - what would that be?

-Ah, well. It'd certainly be something I would add (and are being added!) - continued bug fixes, continued stability, and more of everything. Perhaps, above all else though, I'd love to see a bolt action rifle. It'd take me back to my hunting days - plus, I can't see the snipers of the world switching to anything else in the next twenty years. Also, more static objects (for us creators!), destroyable bridges, more static death animations, and last but not least, a module that made birds take flight when a player's present.

-What will you do when you finish "Resist"?

-Aside from getting some much needed sleep, I have a few plans I'm considering. Depending on 'Resist's success, I may start work on 'Exploit', a follow up campaign, which will finally conclude with another campaign named 'Avenge'. However, I think it is more likely that I'll take a break with a stand alone single player mission, focusing on one of the main protagonists from 'Resist', the FIA commander, Mikhalis Drakon. Then, there is my dream of creating a single player mission from CSAT's perspective. I have a passion for ancient Mesopotamia, so, that'd be a lot of fun! Be great to use the names of Persian mythological beasts as callsigns, etc...

-In all the community has to offer, what is the mod and the usermade mission you're expecting the most?

-Well - I must say, pertaining to Mods, I'm looking forward to Epoch - it looks very atmospheric and clearly a lot of work has gone into the models. The Cerberus Mod too, also looks impressive. Regarding the single player missions - I've got my eye on IndeedPete's MERCs - I know he's got a gift with scripting, so, I'm a supporter there. Of course, all 41 entries (at present) look amazing! Kudos to them all!

-To end this interview, do you have something to say to those who follow and support you for the contest?

-Sure - to them, I'd say, a great big 'thank you'! It's been such a boost to receive so much positive feedback. If there's anything of any merit in 'Resist', it's because of the time, guidance, and support of the community.

-Thanks for your time Kydoimos, and good luck for your work and the contest!

Edited by Wiki

I've got my eye on IndeedPete's MERCs - I know he's got a gift with scripting, so, I'm a supporter there.

This.

I love it though it's not true. No gifts received on this end! :D Huge thanks for the appreciation!

Also thanks to Wiki for the great interview. It's cool idea to get to know all the fellow Armaholics. Maybe we will all meet in a few years at the AA meetings talking about our addictions.^^

Maybe we will all meet in a few years at the AA meetings talking about our addictions.^^

Or our addActions? ;)

I like your joke ;)

Well played, Sir. Well played. I did !see this coming.

{_funny = _funny + 1} foreach { WorldsGeekiestHumour};

Nice interview!

and last but not least, a module that made birds take flight when a player's present.

Didn't Sa0k make a script that does that?

Yes sorry was getting a bit offtopic :D

well done on the interview :) Made a nice little read.

Re: the birds, I think JTD F&S in A2 used to have birds flying off at gunfire. Not sure how it was done, particle effect and eventhandler iirc.

Nice interview, enjoyed the read. Looking forward to more :)

Nice interview!

Didn't Sa0k make a script that does that?

Yes, kinda. The birds are not actually there waiting to be scared, they just spawn out of thin air. Still a nice effect though. I guess it's as far as it can get.

I guess that's my five minutes of fame! :p So, who's next on your list, Wiki?

konyo and IndeedPete

Can I suggest Lord Jarhead for the future?

He's a great guy and provided the Arma Community with JSRS for years.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 10 utilizzando Tapatalk

I'll see what I can do.

Yes sorry... Great interview looking forward to the next.

My suggested interviewees NouberNou and Sickboy.

-Hi konyo. Please, introduce yourself.

-Hi, my names Adam & I live in the United Kingdom.

-How old are you?

-Im 21. My Birthday is in Febuary.

-What do you do for a living?

-I work at Tesco's. A UK Supermarket chain.. Nothing exciting.

-I've met you on ArmA 2, when you made your MH-47E. How long have you been playing ArmA?

-I've been playing ArmA since I was in my last year of High School. My best friend got me into it by telling me information, pictures & videos of ArmA2;

(It wasnt released at this time). He mentioned to me that he downloaded the first ArmA demo and told me to get it as any best friend would. So i downloaded

the ArmA Demo and starting playing online on it until ArmA2 was released. I loved this game from here on out. I loved the realism of it.

I remember me and my best friend were playing online one night and we had the most thrilling match of any ArmA game we've ever had. We were creaping around

a village and there was this 1 other player on the other team that kept owning us (Shame to admit that, but its true ha!). Anyway i remember hearing this

tank get closer and closer to us, so me and my best friend hid behind a brick wall & waited for it to pass. Only it didnt pass.. Much to our surprise this

tank came out the middle of no where, smashed through a building in front of us and blitz us with 1 shell. Ever since then its been an everlasting love :)

-So, you haven't played previous BIS games, like OFP/ArmA Cold War Assault?

-No, i got introduced to BIS since the first ArmA demo. I havn't played the full ArmA Cold War Assault, but I've just downloaded on this free weekend on

Steam. (Cheers Guy!).

-So far, you've made the MH-47E for both A2 and A3. Have you made something else?

- I've made the MH-47E Chinook for ArmA2 & ArmA3. I've made a few other AddOns too but they arnt quite as popular as the MH-47E Chinook. I made the

'Microlight & Ultralight' from scatch. Ported the 'Boeing A319 & the A320 Airbus' from ArmA to ArmA2 & i retextured the Chinook from ArmA2 into the famous

'Bravo November'. The only Chinook to survive the Falklands war. My way to pay tribute to the RAF.

-What do you prefer in ArmA? playong it or creating on it?

- Creating definitely. Either creating AddOns or making Mission Sandbox's.

-Why that?

-Just something I enjoy doing as you cant do in other games.

-Why did you choose to make the MH-47E?

- I knew it was a popular requested helicopter for ArmA2. I always saw post's in the AddOn request thread on the BIS forums for someone to make it. So as i

helped Smiley_Nick port his CH-47 Chinook from ArmA to ArmA2, I gained his permission to create a MH-47E out of his unreleased model & thats it, thats how

the MH-47E was born.

-Are you up to make other vehicles? Like the MH-60L or MH-53M?

-Probabaly not.. I think I'm just going to stick to the Chinook now.

-How long did it take you to make it?

-Well as i got the base model from Smiley_Nick (Which was a CH-47 Chinook). The transformation from CH-47 to MH-47E took just under 8 months.

-That's quite a long time!

-Yes, i wanted it to be right before i released it as i know it was well requested. So i didn't want to let anyone down by the quality.

-Did you encounter major problems porting it from A2 to A3?

- First time around when porting it from ArmA2 to ArmA3.. I had very big problems with it. The model wouldnt respond or behaved like it should of. I would

fix one error then only to be faced with another one. I got so fed up with this so i took quite a big break from ArmA. I returned eventually and scrapped

what i already done. Started fresh and thankfully all went smoothly second time around.

-What do you think about helicopter DLC? Will you add the coming features to your chopper?

- Hopefully a few new features coming to the Chinook to improve it. Such as Rear Gunners & retextures etc... All exciting stuff!

-If there is one addon you'de like to see in ArmA 3, what would that be?

-To be honest.. Yura's Hawks, they were brilliant! I'm not being biased either just because i know Yura.. They generally were impressive birds which have

alot to offer.

- What do you think about the new stuff made by BIS for ArmA 3? Would you have prefered Current gear rather than futuristic?

-Definitely current gear, futuristic warfare dosent really tickle my fancy, although I can put up with it in ArmA3 as its not massively futuristic.

-What, in the incoming stuff, are you expecting the most

-Sakura_Chan's MV-22.. Looking forward to trying that.

-To finish this interview, do you support something/someone for the MANW contest?

-No, i dont support anyone at the moment.. mainly because i havn't actually looked at the submissions.

-Anything to say to those who support your for your bird?

-Thank you to everyone who has supported me so far with this Chinook. Whether it was helping with something small or big. It's all greatly appreciated!

Without them it wouldn't be as good as it is today.. Thank you to the community also for your kind words, feedback & patiance :) Also thanks to AfrographX

for the original creation of the Chinook & to Smiley_Nick for allowing me to use his unreleased model to create the MH-47E. ETA on the next update is TBA,

but should feature some pretty awesome stuff!

-Thanks for yout time konyo!

Nice, thanks for interview both of you! ; )

Nice interview, it's great to put a 'face' to members in the community! Good luck Konyo!

Glad you like it guys.

Anyway, ATM I haven't received any question from the community.

Would be good to have Some for my next interview with Indeedpete.

Pretty cool!

Interesting how most content creators prefer creating rather than playing.