bravo93

British Army - Multi-Terrain Pattern (MTP) Uniforms

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Not in the default game. For the next update I'm going to try and get some extra models which will give a bit more variety. I've also got to release the Artic stuff as well :)

Top man! Can't have those strange Perce habits like belts around jackets completely dominating things. :cool:

Without trying to sound too much like a spoiled child.... would you consider things like belt webbing & chest rigs? (Not that the simple fact you're doing 50/50 cam white/MTP Arctic units hasn't pleased me enough. It has.)

Edited by Redders

Any interest in dpm / dpm desert with that arctic stuff. The combination would make for a pretty comprehensive british pack.

Top man! Can't have those strange Perce habits like belts around jackets completely dominating things. :cool:

Without trying to sound too much like a spoiled child.... would you consider things like belt webbing & chest rigs? (Not that the simple fact you're doing 50/50 cam white/MTP Arctic units have pleased me enough.)

Yeah, I'm planning on doing quite a bit of stuff. I'm quite lucky really because there's a couple of guys in my community who know how to model etc so chest rigs, helmets is something I'd like to do. The arctic stuff's something I really want to do in some depth rather than just reskinning a couple of BIS uniforms and leaving it at that. Which is why I haven't released them with the other stuff. I always thought winter warfare was something really lacking in Arma 2. There was a couple of great maps (not particularly big) but there certainly wasn't much in the way of British kit made for those kind of terrains. It's a shame the whole winter scene isn't more popular really because there's quite a few medical mods out there that I'm sure could simulate things like hypothermia and all the bad things about fighting in the cold.

Any interest in dpm / dpm desert with that arctic stuff. The combination would make for a pretty comprehensive british pack.

That's something I also thought about. Having historic uniforms from down the years. I know there's a UK Pack from Craig which has a lot of uniforms like that in though.

Nice one. If you need any reference material (photos, etc) I'm happy to help. Fields can contact me if you can't get me on here.

Just one quick pointer Bravo - in your mod you've listed 'FST' as 216 SQN with the Sigs flash - this is incorrect, an FST should have Royal Artillery flashes (If any at all, I believe in HERRICK they are specifically targeted by the Taliban so wear no DZ flash or insignia), or if it also includes MFC's from a battalion that it's supporting it'll have their flash, FAC's from other units etc.

As far as I'm aware Sigs have nothing to do with an FST other than 'attempt' to fix the radios! lol. If 7RHA is your theme in this mod, I would either give the FST no insignia at all or the 7RHA insignia :)

^ This is true. I've been an FST observer for 14 years (although we weren't always called FSTs back in the day). Speaking from my own units experience (other Bty's/regiments differed depending on the level of bullshit), when we were on tour and outside the wire on patrol/operations, we never wore TRFs or brigade flashes; The insurgents knew exactly what that RA flash meant. The fact we had radios and all other sorts of fancy kit to make things go bang was by-the-by. Union Flags were fair game. In camp, however, we had to play the game and wear our TRFs and so on, but that's irrelevant in ArmA.

The R. Sigs fix our comms (if we haven't done it ourselves). FACs/JTACs can come from other capbadges, but there is a lot of RA/RHA investment in the FAC career stream, and MFCs from the battle group TAC groups Support (that's platoon strength detachments of FSTs) are attached to the teams.

Ah right, I was very unsure about the FST flash. I actually asked someone in my Arma group, it was him who gave me 216 Signals. I'll be sure to change that to the 7RHA flash. Think RA and RHA have the same flash actually.

In regards to the next update, it will probably come in the next couple of days. I've finished 90% of the stuff I wanted to add.

Yes, the RA and RHA have the same flash.

Excellent work so far on the mod, mate.

Edited by D.Smithy

Have tried the "Bootcamp" stuff available on the Dev branch?

BIS have added the ability to set unit insignia on the left sleeve of most uniform models so you can do Brigade/formation badges without texturing them directly onto the diffuse:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Unit_Insignia

They seem to use the old squad.xml for the right sleeve where TRF/DZ flashes go though. Might still cut down on the number of uniform textures and units you have to make though. I started making a little pack of UK Brigade and Division flashes to use it earlier (only gotten as far as making the Bdes that make up 3 (UK) Div so far :D).

They also added a nice ski-mask model that might suit your Arctic units.

Addon makers are so fortunate to have so many people providing all this good information. I'm not sure you get that in many other games.

By the way, just a reminder. I don't think the actual 'units' work so uniforms must be pasted into init lines/gear scripts/ammoboxes etc. A bit of a ballache but I'll try sort that out for next time. Never really bothered because our Arma 3 community has a gear script which does all this stuff for us. Classnames can be found in the readme. (They should be correct).

@da12thMonkey I'll certainly have a look at that. I'm not a massive fan of squad XML. The ones on the A3 vehicles are massive and I don't think there's a way to change it unless you've made the actual model. Apparently on the jacket model, if you've got squad XML enabled it'll be covering half of the arm, Haven't tested that though.

That reminds me I've got to do something about the Marines uniform. Because the TRF is on the left it looks a bit crap. Also I couldn't put the little badge ontop of the shoulder because it mirrors on both arms.

Edited by Bravo93

Yea, the size of the square faces that the 'Clan' and 'Insignia' images are applied to are not consistent on all models, so there is a bit of a limiting factor in getting them to display at the correct size across several uniform types.

To get an image to appear smaller on the same amount of UV space though, you can just keep the overall texture at the same resolution (128*128 or whatever) but make the space occupied by the actual insignia smaller within that image space, then just fill the extra unneeded space with an alpha transparency.

Keeps giving me an error message whenever I try to preview. It is 'cos of the backpack?

Keeps giving me an error message whenever I try to preview. It is 'cos of the backpack?

It's probably because you're not adding the uniforms to your units ;)

This adduniform "UK_2010_MultiTerrain_3Para_FieldUniform1"; Just paste that into your init lines, the part in " " can be swapped out to whatever. Classnames are included in a text file. I'll make sure I put a crate in for next time :)

Just seen this which a lot of people here might be interested in. It'll probably mean that I won't actually need to have all the TRF's and logos on the uniforms and can just release a plain version where people can add the stuff themselves. Problem is though there seems to be only 2 spaces to put stuff. So I'd probably keep a uniform with the parachute wings on for the airborne type units. Also Squad xml..I thought looked a bit silly. The badges on the vehicles being so big and shiny just looked a bit odd in anything other than an Altis life server. I'll definitely see how it looks. I'll probably keep all the various uniforms anyway and just add some plain ones. I'm not sure whether you can choose which units/vehicles have squad xml etc? Like the T-shirts for instance, I think they'd look pretty awful with TRF's on the sleeve ;)

Edited by Bravo93

Just seen this which a lot of people here might be interested in. It'll probably mean that I won't actually need to have all the TRF's and logos on the uniforms and can just release a plain version where people can add the stuff themselves. Problem is though there seems to be only 2 spaces to put stuff. So I'd probably keep a uniform with the parachute wings on for the airborne type units. Also Squad xml..I thought looked a bit silly. The badges on the vehicles being so big and shiny just looked a bit odd in anything other than an Altis life server. I'll definitely see how it looks. I'll probably keep all the various uniforms anyway and just add some plain ones. I'm not sure whether you can choose which units/vehicles have squad xml etc? Like the T-shirts for instance, I think they'd look pretty awful with TRF's on the sleeve ;)

as far as i can see and what da12th was getting at is that you dont use a squad .xml to add them to your units. From what i guess you define the TRF in the config

config

class CfgUnitInsignia
{
class 111thID
{
	displayName = "111th Infantry Division"; // Name displayed in Arsenal
	author = "Bohemia Interactive"; // Author displayed in Arsenal
	texture = "\a3\UI_F_Bootcamp\Data\CfgUnitInsignia\B_111thID_texture_ca.paa"; // Image path
	textureVehicle = ""; // Does nothing currently, reserved for future use
};
};

then call it using [this,"111thID"] call BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia;

Similar to setobjecttex but on the TRF selections ..... I could be wrong tho but this is how i think it works

no entry bin/cfgweapons.UK_2010_MultiTerrain_RA_FieldUniform1

This adduniform "UK_2010_MultiTerrain_RA_FieldUniform1"; :)

paste into init line.

I'll get a crate working as a kind of hotfix. Probably have that up later. The unit's have decided not to work for some reason.

it would be cool if you created units, so that we wouldn't have to put things into the init line every time.

As far as I can tell BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia's application on character uniforms is pretty much just using hiddenselections and setobjecttexture to perform the function in a way where you write a shorter, more convenient statement than:

_objectname setObjectTexture [1, "\a3\UI_F_Bootcamp\Data\CfgUnitInsignia\B_111thID_texture_ca.paa"];

Most of BIS' units now have two hiddenselections in the array:

hiddenSelections[] = {"camo", "insignia"};

So the insignia part of the model forms now index #1 when using the traditional setobjecttexture or hiddenselectionstexture commands, where index #0 remains for the overall "camo" selection like it always has done.

The whole class CfgUnitInsignia thing allows you to add more information to that texture where it's selectable in the armoury. And in future it seems like it'll also allow different versions of insignia images for vehicles and uniforms (so you can have embroidered ones for uniforms and painted/decal insignia for vehicles). Like I said, I've set up a couple of British formation badges for selection in the armoury myself, to see how it all works - I might upload it as an example for you later depending on if today's dev branch update fixes the fact that insignia aren't showing up units right now.

You can also make class CfgUnitInsignia entries in a mission's description.ext so that you can distribute the insignia textures with a mission, not only by making a required insignia addon for the mission.

The equivalent selection for displaying an image on the right shoulder is still set up to use squad.xml by default though. You might be able change this and set it up as a manual hidden selection by expanding the hiddenselections array in your own unit classes with this:

hiddenSelections[] = {"camo", "insignia", "clan"};

and then using

_objectname setObjectTexture [2, "pathToTRF"];

Would possibly allow you to assign textures to the "clan" selection on the right sleeve without using squad.xml to do it. However, I suspect the above method risks breaking the multiplayer squad.xml function on the uniform, or showing the default BIS clan "Red fist" logo when you don't assign a texture with hiddenselectionstexture/setobjecttexture.

Keep getting this error on all the units i place in the editor and wont let me go past it .

error.jpg

Keep getting this error on all the units i place in the editor and wont let me go past it .

http://s9.postimg.org/3vach0fa3/error.jpg

This adduniform "UK_2010_MultiTerrain_RA_FieldUniform1"; :)

paste into init line.

I'll get a crate working as a kind of hotfix. Probably have that up later. The unit's have decided not to work for some reason.

'Units aren't working for some reason, I'll find out why and fix it for next release :)

Classnames in the readme btw.

A question for Redders or anyone who might know, are 'wooly pully's' still worn with MTP bottoms or are they a thing of the past? There's lots of pictures of guys wearing them in Northern Ireland when on patrol etc. The more recent pictures I've found seem to suggest they're now worn more on special occasions (marching through the town etc).

A question for Redders or anyone who might know, are 'wooly pully's' still worn with MTP bottoms or are they a thing of the past? There's lots of pictures of guys wearing them in Northern Ireland when on patrol etc. The more recent pictures I've found seem to suggest they're now worn more on special occasions (marching through the town etc).

They are still issued equipment but have become more of an item of barracks dress rather than part of the field uniform, but I suppose they could necessarily still be worn in the field (if we ever went to war in the right climate for them). Would be pretty cool if you get time to add other forms of dress to the pack.

Also any update on that fix for the units love the look of this pack, and really want to use it, but its a major hassle to have to enter the different line for the uniforms.

Edited by Babur

With regards to the JWH; in the RM they're still issued and worn in Norway, as well as doing drill during the winter months (albeit with Barrack Dress Trousers/Half Lovats.) 45Cdo also wear them over the winter months (approx October-March) with MTP trousers.

Bravo, you may have mentioned this elsewhere so apologies if you have, but have you considered asking StalkerGB if you could do a retex of his PCS uniforms as they have the correct leg and arm pockets?