Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAzimuth

Possible High-Quality Helicopters for Selection - STRICT Selection

I don't believe the FIA it's gonna get any helo, in fact I don't even believe the devs are gonna add an AAF one, as for a really little island country their needs are practically covered.

All except for civilian's. I could imagine that the Civilians would get a medium Helicopter, from Europe of course, and i can really see FIA taking a civilian helicopter and doing something along the lines of... custom kitting it to their needs. Maybe like a gun pod, and that's it. HOWEVER, i've heard theres only going to be 2 Heavy's. That being said, i'm sure the civilians, and maybe even the FIA will get some kind of air love in the future. I'd preferably love to see a nicely detailed EC-155 though. BIS, the Altis civilian's need you. :cool:

I hope it's gonna be something more than just two heavy lifters...

That's the same way i feel. They sad Content paid, and features are free. So if all the features are free, given that they could have or rather, should have been in from the beginning... Than the Helicopter Expansion, that i payed for at it's price, only comes with 2 Helicopters? I mean the price isn't bad, and i reckon the content is good, but only two? I understand that it's only as of now, and there is a possibility of new helicopters in the future, but only two kind of... idk. It'd be nice if they could add in some other ones that aren't heavy lifters ya know. Fitting with the theme of Altis and future expansion, of course.

how about the shahed 278?

( i don't think it can carry very heavy loads, but seems like a good CSAT recon chopper )

I would love to see that in-game (Big fan of smaller choppers).

I would also like to see the Black Hawk return, Or the Chinook.

@ DarkSideSixOfficial: There's supposed to be playable content and not just assets (the two helos), so presumably at least some missions or even maybe a mini-campaign will accompany the two helos (which are supposed to be designed around/from-the-start-for the new features such as RotorLib, personal weapons firing from interiors, wheel brakes, retractable gear, sling-loading, etc.).

I hear ya re: the desire for representation of other types of airframes (I imagine that you mean "other ones that aren't heavy lifters" in this sense as opposed to just "role" variants on existing helos), but admittedly I feel that vanilla Arma 3 -- by design -- doesn't simulate some of the very situations that some helicopters are designed for, especially if they have no tangential relationship to infantry (namely, to transport them, to fight in support of them, or to beat them up if on opposing sides). For example, there's a reason BI's never given us an ASW helo...

Ironically enough, it appears that basically all four Take On Helicopters classes (light, medium, heavy, gunship) are represented in vanilla A3, complete with some weapon loadouts for the medium class.

All except for civilian's. I could imagine that the Civilians would get a medium Helicopter, from Europe of course, and i can really see FIA taking a civilian helicopter and doing something along the lines of... custom kitting it to their needs. Maybe like a gun pod, and that's it. HOWEVER, i've heard theres only going to be 2 Heavy's. That being said, i'm sure the civilians, and maybe even the FIA will get some kind of air love in the future. I'd preferably love to see a nicely detailed EC-155 though. BIS, the Altis civilian's need you. :cool:

I would love that, IMO the civies have been abandoned in A3 ( no female, no "official" police car, the clothes are mainly of tourists, etc. ).

The best IMO would be a EC135 or so... but... judging by the way BI has been directing A3...

For example, there's a reason BI's never given us an ASW helo...

I agree, but ASW helos in A3 could be implemented to track submarines and detect mines; and it would only require a few graphic modifications to the actual models ( after all the Blackhawk and the Merlin can do that role ). That could be seen as a support for infantry.

Edited by MistyRonin

Then you'd have to model working submarines with interiors and all that (what would be the point otherwise?), and the community wouldn't still be happy to have a half incomplete asset (i know i wouldn't be, just as much as the ships in A2 that had no collisions and were ther just because, or how all the bigger buildings have little to no interiors, the hospital could just be removed and nobody would notice).

And all that just to have ASW which has almost nothing to do with this "infantry oriented military sandbox".

Then you'd have to model working submarines with interiors and all that (what would be the point otherwise?), and the community wouldn't still be happy to have a half incomplete asset (i know i wouldn't be, just as much as the ships in A2 that had no collisions and were ther just because, or how all the bigger buildings have little to no interiors, the hospital could just be removed and nobody would notice).

And all that just to have ASW which has almost nothing to do with this "infantry oriented military sandbox".

I think your vision is a bit melodramatic.

We have already the SDV, which should be enough. The sonar could be a enemy radar like the one hat use the helos for air enemies but to detect only the ones that are below 0m.

I'm happy with all the buildings, and I was with the A2 ships.

And that ASW would serve to detect the SDV that are used to insert divers, that are infantry. So...

Sure, and submarines have nukes, that are used to kill - yeah you guessed right - infantry!

So why not add submarines with nuclear capabilities? We totally need those to obliterate enemy bases.

On a more serious note, of all the things this game lacks i wouldn't consider ASW a priority, but that is just my opinion.

Some others would say that ZOMG WE TOTALLY NEED SEAD ASSETS just to destroy the same radar SAM (driven by infantry! ;) ) that is so poorly integrated even a buzzard can blow up safely from 7km away.

If you ask me, we have an insanely vast amount of water and absolutely no reason to play in it besides infil/exfil (or having fun looking for mines in shallow waters lol).

We don't have ships, we don't have VBSS assets like oil tankers or decent ships to make some cool special forces assaults, we don't even have amphibious assault ships! For a game that takes place on islands i really wonder how everyone got there in the first place.

Back to the helos, if i had to choose i would definitely like some more variants of the assets we have, like with full ATGM loadouts, or with more rockets, or even better a gunship variant of the merlin with a nice 20mm autocannon on the side door.

That would be cost effective and have a meaning with what everybody does most of the time, land based combat.

Sure, and submarines have nukes, that are used to kill - yeah you guessed right - infantry!

So why not add submarines with nuclear capabilities? We totally need those to obliterate enemy bases.

On a more serious note, of all the things this game lacks i wouldn't consider ASW a priority, but that is just my opinion.

Some others would say that ZOMG WE TOTALLY NEED SEAD ASSETS just to destroy the same radar SAM (driven by infantry! ;) ) that is so poorly integrated even a buzzard can blow up safely from 7km away.

If you ask me, we have an insanely vast amount of water and absolutely no reason to play in it besides infil/exfil (or having fun looking for mines in shallow waters lol).

We don't have ships, we don't have VBSS assets like oil tankers or decent ships to make some cool special forces assaults, we don't even have amphibious assault ships! For a game that takes place on islands i really wonder how everyone got there in the first place.

Back to the helos, if i had to choose i would definitely like some more variants of the assets we have, like with full ATGM loadouts, or with more rockets, or even better a gunship variant of the merlin with a nice 20mm autocannon on the side door.

That would be cost effective and have a meaning with what everybody does most of the time, land based combat.

While both of your guys points are good, they both bar something basic. You can add in a helicopter, for example, the EC-155, or existing Merlin (Moehawk), and you can have hidden selections. This allows for multiple types of aircraft, in one. So say the civilians have the EC-155, with a nice civil paint job. But say, the Altis Police Defense or Altis National Guard need a heli to go get something at sea, or scan for possible threats. Well, you can use hidden selections to not only add say a paint job for that specific area of work (Police, or white and orange Rescue paint), but you can also add things like fuel tanks, water pylons, or even a rope line pylon for lifting objects, or people who need to be lifted from choppy waters you cannot get close to. On the other hand, weapons can only be added by separate models if your looking to have a heli with rocket pods shoot rockets, and not 20mm gun pods shooting rockets.

Consider this message for when you leave, almost certainly the dlc helicopter of the 2 helicopters will be CH53E :icon_twisted:

Consider this message for when you leave, almost certainly the dlc helicopter of the 2 helicopters will be CH53E :icon_twisted:

CH-53K, echo is so last decade.

2 possible helicopters (perhaps 3 including AAF) is rubbish, if we get a DLC, you would expect it to be somewhat larger.

2 possible helicopters (perhaps 3 including AAF) is rubbish, if we get a DLC, you would expect it to be somewhat larger.

13€/$/£ to pilot 2 helicopters is really expensive.

It's supposed to be more than just two helos, the problem is that "2 heavy transport helicopters" is the only aspect of the paywall content that's been actually quantified.

It's supposed to be more than just two helos, the problem is that "2 heavy transport helicopters" is the only aspect of the paywall content that's been actually quantified.

Judging by the A2 DLCs, I guess there will be a map ( probably a little one ), a campaign, some more sandbox objects ( like with the Karts ), things like that. But again just my guess.

But technically should be released in September, so the info should be coming real soon. Probably there will be a version for the dev branch a week before the release ( open to everybody or to those who have the DLC bundle ).

i disagree. it's not 2 helicopter 3D mesh . it's 2 helicopter , with their respective advanced flight model , and eventually ,flight & weapons systems.

i disagree. it's not 2 helicopter 3D mesh . it's 2 helicopter , with their respective advanced flight model , and eventually ,flight & weapons systems.

Is that confirmed, I'm obviously not expecting DCS standards but is a high standard of systems modelling confirmed?

Is that confirmed, I'm obviously not expecting DCS standards but is a high standard of systems modelling confirmed?

I hope so. I mean, we pay 1/4 of the full game price. Just 2 general helicopters on the vanilla quality level next to all the free features would be a complete rip off. They have to be special, maybe different variants with different mounted weapons, the ability to walk inside and so on.

I just hope to see a CH53k

Au contraire, we also get a great new flight model, and firing from vehicles properly implemented (one of the most desired and requested features of all time in the arma community).

Au contraire, we also get a great new flight model, and firing from vehicles properly implemented (one of the most desired and requested features of all time in the arma community).

"Aye! But don't forget that we also will be havin' of the ropes attached t' helicopters and possibly leapin out of them helicopters on their riggins'. Methinks this DLC be well worth me ten doubloons. (In other words, Splendidâ„¢)."

- Courtesy of Hans the Olde Sailor Mann

But the flight model is free as well as firing from vehicles. And it also looks like firing from vehicles will be limited to a few vehicles (MH9, Offroad, maybe trucks and boats). Now you have to consider that you paid 45€ (or something similar) for a game that includes a bunch of content. If there are only 2 Helicopters in the DLC for about 12-14€ they HAVE to be special. I am really looking forward to see the new birds!

Special indeed, they also mentioned high quality, so i'm curious as to if these Helicopters are probably going to make things like the ported Hellcat look like the Doom Engine compared to the SnowDrop Engine. However, i do believe that these won't be the last heli's added to the game. There will most definitely be more, later down the line of course closer to expansion.

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

I hope so. I mean, we pay 1/4 of the full game price. Just 2 general helicopters on the vanilla quality level next to all the free features would be a complete rip off. They have to be special, maybe different variants with different mounted weapons, the ability to walk inside and so on.

I just hope to see a CH53k

This would be good. If they were to add in such things like different versions with hidden selections, and looks, which could well be a possibility i never thought of outside of one of my other guesses.

But the flight model is free as well as firing from vehicles. And it also looks like firing from vehicles will be limited to a few vehicles (MH9, Offroad, maybe trucks and boats). Now you have to consider that you paid 45€ (or something similar) for a game that includes a bunch of content. If there are only 2 Helicopters in the DLC for about 12-14€ they HAVE to be special. I am really looking forward to see the new birds!
The description of "new playable content" implies that there may be more "assets" than just the two helos (even if it's only two helos and they're both of the "heavy transport​" type), so perhaps like the OA DLCs there may be SP mini-campaigns behind the paywall.