Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAzimuth

Possible High-Quality Helicopters for Selection - STRICT Selection

The latest SITREP did narrow it down somewhat by repeating "the new heavy transport helicopters" (the Roadmap devblog revealed their type), so they're either the only type in the DLC or the only type that DnA chose to 'hard confirm'.
Ok, so as you probably would have guessed, it's a thread on the quote above. However, we will not be discussing the DLC's. We will be discussing selection of Helicopters. Strict selection, therefore, no mentioning Attack Heli's of the such. Only Utility HELO's following the guidelines of the Arma 3 Vanilla story line, era, and HELO's manufactured by nations who back factions in game.

Yup, seems about accurate.

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:21 ----------

However, now with their latest Update blog, it's got me overly optamistic on whats to come.

The latest SITREP did narrow it down somewhat by repeating "the new heavy transport helicopters" (the Roadmap devblog revealed their type), so they're either the only type in the DLC or the only type that DnA chose to 'hard confirm'.

Im not gonna lie I'll be pretty disappointed if all that's released in the DLC is a few heavy lifters that should have been in game to begin with or added for free like the CAS planes. there had better be several new helos if BI intends to charge more than a few dollars for this. Then again maybe Im jumping the gun on the issue:j:

As far as selection speculation goes Im still hoping for either a CV-22 Osprey or MH/CH-47 Chinook for NATO.

I like Squirrels idea http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125238&d=1276160098 as a possible AAF bird, although it does look exactly like the transport from End War:eek:

Still thinking MI-26 or MI-8 for CSAT, or maybe that MI-38 everyone keeps speaking of.

Im not gonna lie I'll be pretty disappointed if all that's released in the DLC is a few heavy lifters that should have been in game to begin with or added for free like the CAS planes. there had better be several new helos if BI intends to charge more than a few dollars for this. Then again maybe Im jumping the gun on the issue:j:
You're probably jumping the gun on this :p plus I'd note that the features would be rolled out (i.e. RotorLib FDM) for the current helicopters first, as per the SITREP: "We would expect such features to be released to devbranch in advance of DLC releases."

For example, the Mohawk would support sling-loading and firing-of-personal-weapons before any paid helos would be offered.

I'm pretty darn sure that BIS wouldn't do that to us. I'm certain that they wouldn't make us pay X amount of dollars for 3 helicopters and the features. As a paid DLC, we can most likely expect it to be worth the funds.

We are not paying only for the helos, we are funding the development and they are cool enough to give us new flight model and a lot of features for FREE (and it's a lot of work for them) - so in essence we are paying only for the helos but in a way we are paying for MUCH more. Sure, i would like to have a heavy attack chopper for the blue side for example, but personally i'm going to buy it asap none the less. I've got over 1000 hours in Arma already.

Edited by Byku

For the NATO side I would like to recommend a futuristic tandem rotor successor of the CH-47 "Chinook" or the new CH-53K "King Stallion" which will enter service with the U.S. Marines in 2018 and could therefore be considered as "new".

The new U.S. Army tilt rotor aircraft programm with it´s prototypes could also be an option http://www.army.mil/article/125578/Aviators_eager_to_witness_birth_of_Future_Vertical_Lift_aircraft/ To name a prototype S-280 "Valor".

CSAT could have the Mil Mi-18. And I don´t know what the AAF could go with.

We are not paying only for the helos, we are funding the development and they are cool enough to give us new flight model and a lot of features for FREE (and it's a lot of work for them) - so in essence we are paying only for the helos but in a way we are paying for MUCH more. Sure, i would like to have a heavy attack chopper for the blue side for example, but personally i'm going to buy it asap none the less. I've got over 1000 hours in Arma already.

True, the features are free. So, we wait to see the content. Also, I feel you man, I'm approaching 2000 hours. XD

That content should have been in the game from day one already, not come as a payable bonus, like it was for all previous games.

They released many screenshots of content that was scrapped at a later moment without any warning (like the XM25, the Osprey, the F35, etc...).

Please focus on what helicopters you would like and not on what the game is lacking.

I would love a bigger Osprey successor capable of lifting at least 20 tonnes.

The new U.S. Army tilt rotor aircraft programm with it´s prototypes could also be an option http://www.army.mil/article/125578/Aviators_eager_to_witness_birth_of_Future_Vertical_Lift_aircraft/ To name a prototype S-280 "Valor".

Already made a ticket on this a while back (http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16374), no response from devs so I'm not sure :P

The Valor isn't a very likely candidate because it is intended as a replacement for the Blackhawk,which as we all should know, is replaced in the "Armaverse" by the Ghosthawk. It certainly isn't even remotely in the heavy lift category so my guess is its a no go. Would it be awesome to see in game? Yes, not likely gonna happen from an official DLC though.

I'm all for the futuristic Chinook idea, just can't get on board with the King Stallion though for the same reason I can't for the Super Stallion. I do not want to see a Marine aircraft in game again without a whole fleshed out Marine faction, I know I'm being nitpicky but there are plenty of other options that would better fit the setting, real or fictional.

The Valor isn't a very likely candidate because it is intended as a replacement for the Blackhawk,which as we all should know, is replaced in the "Armaverse" by the Ghosthawk. It certainly isn't even remotely in the heavy lift category so my guess is its a no go. Would it be awesome to see in game? Yes, not likely gonna happen from an official DLC though.

I'm all for the futuristic Chinook idea, just can't get on board with the King Stallion though for the same reason I can't for the Super Stallion. I do not want to see a Marine aircraft in game again without a whole fleshed out Marine faction, I know I'm being nitpicky but there are plenty of other options that would better fit the setting, real or fictional.

Nailed it, but i'm pretty sure NATO satisfies that role in terms of the Armaverse.

It wouldn't really be a crazy idea to think of the in-game A3 US Army as an amphibious capable force for the matter.

AMV-Marshall's. They get the job done in water and sea none the less. However, back on topic this is a heli thread. Lets try not to loose the train here.

I would love a bigger Osprey successor capable of lifting at least 20 tonnes.

A bit off topic but: None of the existing Helos (IRL) is capable of lifting a ~60ton tank like a Leopard 2 or something. 22tons is by far the heaviest load a Helo can take (modified Mil Mi26) and even a Bradley is heavier than that. So to all the people demanding in game to have a lift for their tank: NO! Just take the damn road back home. It is plain non-sense!

For lifting light vehicles like Ifrit or something, I would love to see a NH90-like chopper.

A bit off topic but: None of the existing Helos (IRL) is capable of lifting a ~60ton tank like a Leopard 2 or something. 22tons is by far the heaviest load a Helo can take (modified Mil Mi26) and even a Bradley is heavier than that. So to all the people demanding in game to have a lift for their tank: NO! Just take the damn road back home. It is plain non-sense!

For lifting light vehicles like Ifrit or something, I would love to see a NH90-like chopper.

The game is set in 2035 deal with it. And *ahem* http://www.karemaircraft.com/jhl.html

Edited by Necrodancer

Touché
For me the question about those bulletpoints is whether that claimed capacity requires internal carriage of the vehicle or allows for sling-loaded lifting.

For me the question about those bulletpoints is whether that claimed capacity requires internal carriage of the vehicle or allows for sling-loaded lifting.

BAM!

dd437a65-b678-4985-a0d3-3f4d028c6bb4.Full.jpg

Edited by Necrodancer

That's the spirit! I noticed that the devs didn't address vehicle carriage within other vehicles (whether in "true roll-on/roll-off" fashion or even "have vehicle be loaded in as a vehicle proxy, attachTo style but engine-supported"), but in that JHL's case sling-loading would allow one to skirt the issue, so to speak...

That's the spirit! I noticed that the devs didn't address vehicle carriage within other vehicles (whether in "true roll-on/roll-off" fashion or even "have vehicle be loaded in as a vehicle proxy, attachTo style but engine-supported"), but in that JHL's case sling-loading would allow one to skirt the issue, so to speak...

The ship class can however carry a vehicle without it slipping off when the ship is moving both vertically (waves) and horizontally. Can't the same be coded and improved for the JHL?

As evidence, download Gnat's fast sea frame. Place it in the editor. Set the waves to maximum, and land a chopper on it. It sticks to the boat!

*edit* only works for the helicopter class, every other vehicle has fucked up physics when standing on the ship in waves. Why do the helicopters work when the others dont? Please investigate BIS.

Edited by Necrodancer

Can it be done with wheeled or tracked vehicles too?

From what i've seen helicopters seem to "attach" to the floor below once they fully stopped on land, maybe a similar system for vehicles would create problems when moving normally.

Can it be done with wheeled or tracked vehicles too?

From what i've seen helicopters seem to "attach" to the floor below once they fully stopped on land, maybe a similar system for vehicles would create problems when moving normally.

Wheeled vehicles do stick to the surface when moving the ship, however their suspension is overdone when the ship is encountering waves making it look unnatural.