Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAzimuth

Possible High-Quality Helicopters for Selection - STRICT Selection

Quote; "What you will gain by purchasing the DLC are, among other things, carefully selected new and high-quality helicopters that are capable of transporting heavy loads."

Ok, so as you probably would have guessed, it's a thread on the quote above. However, we will not be discussing the DLC's. We will be discussing selection of Helicopters. Strict selection, therefore, no mentioning Attack Heli's of the such. Only Utility HELO's following the guidelines of the Arma 3 Vanilla story line, era, and HELO's manufactured by nations who back factions in game.

This well be much like me "Two CAS Jets Remain" article, but focusing on specific selection of HELO's for a planned Expansion. With that being said, lets begin. Instead of me starting with the first aircraft, i will let you guys (the community) in with the first picks, and i will comment in regards to whether or not the HELO or HELO's you selected fit the role, and why.

Ok, GO!

NATO

Chinook styl

CSAT

MI26 or MI17

AAF

While they have the mohawk. What heavy lift does europe have.

NATO

Chinook styl

CSAT

MI26 or MI17

AAF

Germany has CH-53, it fits the profile.

how about the shahed 278?

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/6/9/9/1818996.jpg

( i don't think it can carry very heavy loads, but seems like a good CSAT recon chopper )

I like that, it looks to be a great helicopter for Medium-Light sling loading jobs, thought, i think the P-30 Orga already fits that catagory, however... That would serve amazingly for the Civilian Faction.

---------- Post added at 16:53 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

CAS plane - A10 = Wipeout

Ulitility Helo - Chinook = CH360 Downfall

Chinook is a bit old, however... I'm pretty sure that BI could come up with something interesting, and not too... Sci-Fi looking.

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

NATO

Chinook styl

CSAT

MI26 or MI17

AAF

I think the Mi-Series probably get updated often, as there do serve has a versatile transport-utility craft for Russia and many other nations. Would do great to have an updated modern version of this bad boy around, thought, i feel as if there could be something better than the Mi's. Maybe a transport version of the new KA-62. Great suggestion. As for the AAF, use basically an updated Merlin. Though, the NH-90 would be fantastic as it is used for Europe based NATO nations, and is very High Quality. The Mohawk is good too though.

OoooO civ faction - didn't think about that :)

http://www.helis.com/spotters/facundo_rovira/as350b3_cc-afl.jpg

That little heli looks like fun, but could probably only handle a quadbike and other small items. however, that Orange on in the background looks like a good Medium-Moderately Heavy utility/transport i could see the Civilians using. =D

and slots for differend weapons gatling or mk3 and slotz for pods MG or FEAR :j::rolleyes::o:cool:;)

Surpised no one picked up on the play on words, im kind of disappointed. A chinook would be terrible I know.

Wipeout = Crashing.... terrible launch when first introduced at the beginning, then a Chinook CH360 Downfall...

Oh well, win some lose some.

that Orange on in the background looks like a good Medium-Moderately Heavy utility/transport i could see the Civilians using. =D

i do believe that is a Eurocopter AS350 Écureuil

---------- Post added at 15:15 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

also, civs need a good light transport heli though - something the core assets lack

Surpised no one picked up on the play on words, im kind of disappointed. A chinook would be terrible I know.

Wipeout = Crashing.... terrible launch when first introduced at the beginning, then a Chinook CH360 Downfall...

Oh well, win some lose some.

Hah... I think your play on words were too good, i over looked it.

Here is what i've come up with. Not full but it's generally ok.

For the Civilian Faction

Eurocopter EC 135

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Eurocopter_EC-135T-2%2C_Czech_Republic_-_Police_AN1578260.jpg (196 kB)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/Eurocoptor1-ec135.jpg (734 kB)

This HELO is great for Police/Civilian market of Altis, be used as medium-light Sling Load, and other operations. Very High detail, and fits the enviornment. Could be easily fitted with Water Pontunes as well.

Eurocopter EC225 Super Puma

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Bristow_Helicopters_-_Eurocopter_EC-225LP.jpg (359 kB)

This one is a great Civil Heavy. This HELO could really do some big lifting, and moving for the civilians of Altis, with great efficiency.

MH-65 Dolphin

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Coast_Guard_MH-65_Dolphin_helicopter_retouched.jpg (2126 kB)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/Eurocopter_EC_155_Dauphin.jpg (238 kB)

Another Medium Multi-Purpose heli, that would be great and versitile with Altian Civilians, and Law/Medical Units as a whole. This bird is rugged, and effective over land, and over sea, and is a very High quality contender.

Opfor - CSAT

Kamov KA-62

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/MAKS_Airshow_2013_%28Ramenskoye_Airport%2C_Russia%29_%28519-10%29.jpg (1841 kB)

This is a helicopter much related to the KA-60 (P-30 Orca in game), but is a Larger, Heavy Ultility/Transport version. Probably as good, if not better than the KA-60 in terms of core structure, and Sling Capabilities. Would suit for Opfor's choice in the Lift/Utility role, and could possibly be used with Civilians as well.

Blufor - NATO

CH-53K King Stallion

http://www.verticalmag.com/news/article/SikorskyunveilsCH53KKingStallionhelicopter

The more updated, and advanced counterpart to the CH-53E and Sea Stallion varients, this is a BEAST of a helicopter. It's main role is Utility, and transport. If any heli is built for a lifting job, this Stallion gets the job done. The King Stallion is the most modern version and will probably be in service for awhile.

Indep - AAF

NH Industries NH-90

NH90.jpg

This is a beast too, also, one of Europes first Fly-By-Wire heavy helicopters. Great for transport and lifting of multiple kinds of cargo. This would fit the AAF well, and would look nice side by side with the Mohawk.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

I love that last one, looks way more civ, and since the Armaverse is different, it would fit nicley in if modifyed like that.

Eurocopter Tiger for the AAF faction. Fits in with the current Blackfoot as a light attack helicopter, but can also be outfitted to go toe-to-toe with the MI-48 as a heavy attack helicopter (add Hellfires, or equivalent, on the inner weapon hardpoints.) It's a very modern helicopter - and is very maneuverable, something that is important.

Not too mention 'Straya uses it.

Trying to stay out of the more Sci-Fi style helicopters, and sticking with Strict High Quality HELO's that exsist today... Also, that puppy is a bit TOO big to do Sling Loading, for Arma 3 anyway.

considering certain other assets currently in game you might just have to suck it up on the Sci-fi bit, at least the aircraft in the pic is a viable future heavy lift aircraft;)

My money is on a "wipeout styled" CV-22 Osprey for NATO, technically not a heavy lifter but it would triple the amount of personnel carried compared to the Ghost Hawk, and the Marine Corps' variant is occasionally used for sling loading items such as towed artillery pieces and such. Then again I could also see a similarly "futurized" CH-47 being used as well.

I would like to see a futuristic MI-26 styled helo for CSAT, not much else I can really say on that.

As far as the AAF goes, I think they've already got their heavy lifter with the Merlin/Mohawk, maybe it'll get upgraded with a few door mounted MG's or something.

Eurocopter Tiger for the AAF faction. Fits in with the current Blackfoot as a light attack helicopter, but can also be outfitted to go toe-to-toe with the MI-48 as a heavy attack helicopter (add Hellfires, or equivalent, on the inner weapon hardpoints.) It's a very modern helicopter - and is very maneuverable, something that is important.

Not too mention 'Straya uses it.

Your statement is valid, however I'm well aware of those facts. But we are focsed mainly on Medium/Heavy HELO's for the Arma 3: Helicopters DLC, looking at a selection of High Quality modern HELO's to fit the roles stated on the original post, through all factions.

I may be wrong but isn't that the real world aircraft the Mohawk is based off of?

it appears you are right

A successor to the wide-spread Merlin, the CH-49 Mohawk is a primary transport used by the AAF. It can carry up to 16 soldiers plus crew. Besides the transport version, many other versions of the Mohawk exist, serving effectively in evac, anti-submarine warfare, or armed air support roles. Upgrades from its predecessor consist of more powerful engines and construction changes fully utilizing modern materials.

A successor to the wide-spread Merlin, the CH-49 Mohawk is a primary transport used by the AAF. It can carry up to 16 soldiers plus crew. Besides the transport version, many other versions of the Mohawk exist, serving effectively in evac, anti-submarine warfare, or armed air support roles. Upgrades from its predecessor consist of more powerful engines and construction changes fully utilizing modern materials.

Mildly off subject but maybe we'll get the aforementioned "armed air assault roles" variant:o

Gotta say I would prefer that the CH-53 series not be the NATO heavy lifter if for no other reason than not wanting to see a Marine bird without a Marine Faction. You don't generally see marine helo's being used by the other services except in special circumstances, inter-service rivalries and all that:confused: Maybe if they do a pacific front based expansion?