Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Third-party content licensed by APL-SA in contest entries

Hello, you might be interested in how to use APL-SA-licensed 3rd-party content in your contest entries:

• Winning a prize in the competition could be considered commercial use.
  • You can NOT include any 3rd-party content in your submission that is licenced for non commercial use only (e.g. under Arma Public Licenses or Creative Commons Non Commercial Licenses) without consent and specific license from the 3rd party.
  • Bohemia Interactive grants license all participants in MANW to use its licensed data from http://www.bistudio.com/english/community/licenses/licenced-data-packages in the contest, as well as to use Arma 3 and Arma 3 Tools to create competition entries.

To sum it up, you are free to use Bohemia's data for the contest, but you ALWAYS need to obtain 3rd-party's permission from anyone else. In case of APL-SA, the license's requirements apply even for the Make Arma Not War contest entries (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Arma Only, Share Alike).

Edited by Dwarden
typo fix

So someone can use something 3rd party APL-SA?

Can the non-commercial clause even be waived?

I can see where some of that can get murky. What if I license something APL-SA because I have to (like if I use BI data) - then I shouldn't be able to waive that clause for the object because it isn't mine to waive (although part of it is?).

Hello, you might be interested in how to use APL-SA-licensed 3rd-party content in your contest entries:

• Winning a prize in the competition could be considered commercial use.
  • You can NOT include any 3rd-party conent in your submission that is licenced for non commercial use only (e.g. under Arma Public Licenses or Creative Commons Non Commercial Licenses) without consent and specific license from the 3rd party.
  • Bohemia Interactive grants license all participants in MANW to use its licensed data from http://www.bistudio.com/english/community/licenses/licenced-data-packages in the contest, as well as to use Arma 3 and Arma 3 Tools to create competition entries.

To sum it up, you are free to use Bohemia's data for the contest, but you ALWAYS need to obtain 3rd-party's permission from anyone else. In case of APL-SA, the license's requirements apply even for the Make Arma Not War contest entries (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Arma Only, Share Alike).

Thank you Bohemia :icon_exclaim:

So someone can use something 3rd party APL-SA?

Yes, but only if the 3rd party (author of the content released under APL-SA) agrees.

I can see where some of that can get murky. What if I license something APL-SA because I have to (like if I use BI data) - then I shouldn't be able to waive that clause for the object because it isn't mine to waive (although part of it is?).

Consent of all 3rd-party authors would be required. If it would be just you and BI, then the person who's using your licensed work would only need to get your permission, as we've given it for all our licensed data.

Thanks for clearing this up! Have already sent out messages to the creators asking for permission to use stuff specifically for the contest. But just to get the details right: The final version must not contain unlicensed or "wrong" licensed content, but how is it with early versions (Alpha, Beta, whatever)?

With entering the contest I've released an Alpha version that contains at least one creative commons 0 item. Can I keep it for now and replace with my own work later or will I have to take it down immediately?

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Just saw that CC 0 is actually public domain and by that not non-commercial. So at least this one shouldn't be a problem, right?

This is good news. However, are we allowed to use Arma III content in the form of model proxies in MANW entries? For example if somebody was to enter an aircraft into the competition that used the default Arma III missiles?

Thanks.

This is good news. However, are we allowed to use Arma III content in the form of model proxies in MANW entries? For example if somebody was to enter an aircraft into the competition that used the default Arma III missiles?

I think the use of proxies as you describe it is perfectly fine. :)

---------- Post added at 09:08 ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 ----------

Thanks for clearing this up! Have already sent out messages to the creators asking for permission to use stuff specifically for the contest. But just to get the details right: The final version must not contain unlicensed or "wrong" licensed content, but how is it with early versions (Alpha, Beta, whatever)?

With entering the contest I've released an Alpha version that contains at least one creative commons 0 item. Can I keep it for now and replace with my own work later or will I have to take it down immediately?

Just saw that CC 0 is actually public domain and by that not non-commercial. So at least this one shouldn't be a problem, right?

Hello, I sent you a "harsh" e-mail notifying you about the issues just before reading the message. :) Many thanks for all the efforts to solve the possible IP issues!

From the entry processing POV, we are not really interested in IP issues until submissions are closed and we would need to determine finalists and make sure they do not violate anyone's IP rights, but from the community standpoint, sooner your entry is fully compliant with the rules the better.

We have set up a possibility to report 3rd-content abuse, and it is obvious from the first few reports that it would be good if we make the use of 3rd-party work in entries more transparent / visible, otherwise people will tend to report even cases where the author has permission to use 3rd-party works. I would like to offer the authors a formalized way to report 3rd-party content in their works, and make this information part of the entry presentations, but it will take us some time to implement.

Just to "harsh e-mails" in general, we are only notifying the authors about possible issue and ask them to make sure they got the IP stuff right. It is in our interest to support the contestants. By receiving an e-mail warning, authors are not getting any "black mark", it's just a friendly heads-up to make sure we would not need to disqualify them later because of their omission. :) Of course, we record the reports and in case a reported entry would become finalist, we would double-check the possible issues.

And I've just replied to your "harsh" message. :)

Hi Edge, I have another question too, ok a few.

Singleplayer mode related questions:

Are we allowed to edit the BI ARMA 3 music? For example cut/shorten/repeat for a trailer? Is this allowed? Also which would it fall under? APL or APL-SA? Also voiceovers, if they our own voiceovers, are they then APL or APL-SA? Do we make use of both APL and APL-SA licenses when listing copyrights or must we only choose one license?

Also if we develop our own textures for characters clothing, is this allowed in Singleplayer mode or is that considered a mod?

Just to verify again, we wanting to keep any issues of copyright to a minimum, okay let me reword that, we not wanting any copyright issues so everything is pretty much "in-house" or straight ARMA 3 data. However as we will have custom voiceovers for the storyline (owned and developed by us) this would have us release under APL or APL_SA?

Many thanks for any assistance with the questions :)

Kind regards

Brad

Edited by brad.inggs
added

Are we allowed to edit the BI ARMA 3 music? For example cut/shorten/repeat for a trailer?

I'd like to extend the question to ALL Arma music (not only Arma 3).

And... A bit related to this question, Edge, could you take a look at that one? Thanks a lot for all the information! :)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?176927-Questions-about-copyrights-%28sounds-music%29&p=2685338&viewfull=1#post2685338

Also if we develop our own textures for characters clothing, is this allowed in Singleplayer mode or is that considered a mod?

If I'm not mistaken, it is ok as long as the player won't need to download the clothing additionally to your project. The "addon" has to be part of the project file.

Thanks Undeceived, yeah I was also thinking that as long as it was all in the final PBO things should be fine (re textures) but just wanted BI to clarify. The music is another area of interest as I'm on the fence of purchasing some but ARMA 3 has some very nice music to use but would really like to edit it in places if possible.

Are we allowed to edit the BI ARMA 3 music? For example cut/shorten/repeat for a trailer? Is this allowed? Also which would it fall under? APL or APL-SA? Also voiceovers, if they our own voiceovers, are they then APL or APL-SA? Do we make use of both APL and APL-SA licenses when listing copyrights or must we only choose one license?

According to the Game Content Usage Rules, it seems that you can use the music tracks from A3 for the purpose of promoting your contest entry. I will need to verify this but if you keep the Arma stuff in Arma and Arma-related promo, it's generally fine with us. However, A3 music is not part of any licensed data pack, therefore I would be careful with editing it. If we would spot an issue we would not like, we would let you know and see how we could handle that to both your and our satisfaction. :)

The voiceovers you recorded for the mission are all yours. It would be awesome if you would release them under APL or APL-SA, but we cannot force you to use any of them - please check the chart. Of course, you can use only one license for a single piece of work.

As Undeceived said, we only want to avoid having to download more PBOs, but if you make them part of the mission package, it's perfectly fine and much welcome!

Just to verify again, we wanting to keep any issues of copyright to a minimum, okay let me reword that, we not wanting any copyright issues so everything is pretty much "in-house" or straight ARMA 3 data. However as we will have custom voiceovers for the storyline (owned and developed by us) this would have us release under APL or APL_SA?

You do not need to release your work under an Arma Public License, but it would be noble thing surely appreciated by other community mission makers. :) It is important for you to make sure you (as individual or as a team) have rights to use the custom voiceovers, but it's between you and voiceactors and sound engineers, but I suppose you have this covered.

Thanks for your questions! I will definitely need to take a look at how we limit the usage of music. :)

Hey there Edge, many thanks for this great reply. Yes, we are really trying to make sure all i's are dotted and t's crossed here. Not wanting copyright issues and so where possible we either trying to create everything (VO, sounds) and use assets already in the game so there's less work and worry to do in that area and more time to focus on creativity (and other work work that I should be doing haha).

On the music, noted on that. Okay, so just to clarify, if we DON'T edit the ARMA 3 music, we can use it in a trailer for the contest entry? This correct? We just have to credit it appropriately in the video who made it? This leads to the next question though...

Regarding the word 'editing' - when you say refrain from editing but okay to use in promo, with a trailer sometimes lasting between 10 seconds and a minute. If we have a 20second clip we made, would we be able to use the music for those 20 seconds, starting at a predetermined timeframe in the music track and cut the music at the end of 20seconds or if the track is 1min30sec, would we have to make a clip to last the full length of the track?

As ARMA 3 music isn't in the licensed data pack, is there a license we require (like a mechanical license, as that would be the one we would require if not owned by BI)?

Without a Mechanical License, might be safer then to just use the ARMA3 music within the game (like normal and unedited) and then for any promo we just purchase music with the right license ie. commercial use etc.

Thanks re:textures. We might, might not... really time wise as time is tight. ARMA 3 standard has some great material to use in it though so will decide when we get to that bridge, but at least now we know we can if we want to.

Oh, almost left out this reply... re APL license etc, thanks for clarifying the use of only one is allowed... will look over our the graphic chart and decide which one again :)

Thanks Edge, hear from you soon.

Edited by brad.inggs

If we have received permission from the creator of an addon that we are using in our creation how do we let BIS know, in other words how do we prove that they have given us permission?

I for one, document all my permissions, I save the emails, take screenshots, and make a note on our github with links, that way it can be quickly and easily referenced. I also at times reconfirm with the author after my modifications or integration has been completed to ensure I am not creating any conflicts or issues that I may not have foreseen, OR more importantly that I did not mis-understand the permission. With such a global community I feel it's important to ensure you've clearly communicated your intentions.

Sign in to follow this