SpaceNavy

The Eridanus Insurrection - An Arma 3 Total Modication

I would test again later and load only TEI ,agm,CBA,MCC,ASDGJR on the server side.So far with RHS0.3.6 ,ALIVE ,AGM,CBA,MCC,ASDGJR and TEI,the server side keeps crashing.

The post about Pelican Gunship lacking any ATGM's interested me. I noticed that UNSC has very little in terms of guided anti-tank (and anti-aircraft) missiles. All you see is rail guns and and unguided rocket launchers, even on dedicated assault VTOL's. Then it dawned on me: maybe UNSC has some kind of Active Protection Systems on their tanks and aircraft as standard? Think of Trophy.

This idea isnt that far fetched, 500 years into the future, space travel and advanced AI around, an advanced APS would be pretty easy to do.

Just some random musings.

just a few suggestions for Improvements:

http://i.imgur.com/VSI6jBh.jpg?1 = You can see some parts of the head trough the visor

http://i.imgur.com/WaTPaQL.jpg?1 = fingers glitch through the handguard

http://i.imgur.com/feWh4Oh.jpg?1 = Pistol doesnt really fit into the hands like this

http://i.imgur.com/BYFgRc2.jpg?1 = TacRail is not edited correctly

Fire selection switch has no animation, some reload slide animations are still buggy (MA5B+grenade launcher), M7 illumination Torch doesnt work

I guess most of this stuff is already known, just wanting to be sure.

Good work, developers!

just a few suggestions for Improvements:

http://i.imgur.com/VSI6jBh.jpg?1 = You can see some parts of the head trough the visor

http://i.imgur.com/WaTPaQL.jpg?1 = fingers glitch through the handguard

http://i.imgur.com/feWh4Oh.jpg?1 = Pistol doesnt really fit into the hands like this

http://i.imgur.com/BYFgRc2.jpg?1 = TacRail is not edited correctly

Fire selection switch has no animation, some reload slide animations are still buggy (MA5B+grenade launcher), M7 illumination Torch doesnt work

I guess most of this stuff is already known, just wanting to be sure.

Good work, developers!

These had already been listed in the known issues in first page,check it.:)

Absolutely amazing work, guys.

When Bradster told me about this 8-9 months ago, I went crazy. Absolutely worth the wait.

I have video of me in the makeshift "Scorpion" (Really it was the M2a1 Slammer UP) on the Fox Gaming server during the Warthog rush, and as the gunner too. I was on Teamspeak, so there's alot of chat, but my mic wasn't captured. If anyone wants me to upload it so you can see just how epic this mod is, tell me. It should be up by the end of the week at the latest.

Absolutely fantastic work. The pelican slings just like it should. Maybe we can get Xeno's drop pod combined so the warthog actually becomes a part of the pelican like it does in-game. Also, the weapons and armor balance the game out to play exactly as I always dreamed it did. In standard ArmA, the AI is glitchy and OP, so it snipes you from 1200 meters out, while it takes like 8 direct hits to kill them. Not in this mod. :)

I imagine the reason the pelican flies the way it does is because you have it have a standard amount of lift at low speeds so it has the flight attitude that resembles the Pelican in the game series. While it is a b*tch to descend, I feel totally immersed by its flight model. It feels exactly how any one would imagine (at least someone who has flown before in ArmA or other flight sims) and it's cockpit (though low-res at the moment) looks absolutely amazing. I prefer to fly from Co-pilot because it gives me a wider field of view and it looks better in my opinion, but that's just me.

The fact that Multiplayer is compatible right out of Alpha is a huge jump in progress. That kind of work is just unbelievable. It was unimaginable to me at first, but somehow you guys managed to pull it off, and very well at that.

The response to the community is absolutely amazing. People recommend stuff like a GL M5 Assault Rifle, and you make it. People are torn about both versions of the M5 with and without the ammo counter, with and without iron sights; what do you do? You give them all of the said variants. People notice bugs or other things that irk in the alpha release, such as shadow errors and pitch-black glossy armor; what do the devs do? They release a patch 2 days after release fixing ALL of that.

Absolutely outstanding work guys. I can absolutely tell that, unlike DayZ and I44, you guys aren't going to give this up as soon as you get the fame. You haven't yet, so please don't. :) The response to community is, again, absolutely amazing. The overall performance is exceptional, and I am very impressed with many of the "little things that kill"' only instead of killing, they provide pure epicness. Things that are little but little b*tches to code (like the helmet cam in the Drop Pod) are what show the quality of the work put in this mod, and that quality is better than I've ever seen in my time of modding ArmA, and this comes from someone who had 200-400 mods on ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead, and somewhere between 50-150 on A3 so far.

Best mod ever, needless to say. I imagine the community response will make it even better; I heard rumors about OTHER DEVELOPERS already discussing making a covenant add-on for this. On the Fox Gaming server, the gameplay has been more organized than even the most organized of ArmA tactical groups, and that astounds me. It shows you just how much the community has been brought together by this mod.

Keep up the good work guys.

Best regards,

Midnight

i think for the Pelican, you should use the Osprey V22 (MV22 ingame modd) type of flight, because they fly in a smilar way. press "X" to be like an helicopter flight mod (to drop troopers and land for example), and press "X" again to turn into Plane flight mode (faster and easier to control).

PS: please excuse my Engish, not too good but working on it.

Edited by ECHO439

The post about Pelican Gunship lacking any ATGM's interested me. I noticed that UNSC has very little in terms of guided anti-tank (and anti-aircraft) missiles. All you see is rail guns and and unguided rocket launchers, even on dedicated assault VTOL's. Then it dawned on me: maybe UNSC has some kind of Active Protection Systems on their tanks and aircraft as standard? Think of Trophy.

This idea isnt that far fetched, 500 years into the future, space travel and advanced AI around, an advanced APS would be pretty easy to do.

Just some random musings.

Pelican has some kind of missiles/rockets, but they are not guided. Though in this pelican concept from 343 they wanted AT missiles on it, the problem of this is that the wings are much larger, and they move, so we are going to have a hard time trying to aim properly.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/ANVIL-II_Air-to-Surface_Missile

http://i.imgur.com/x5x8eIp.jpg

There are not guided AT missiles except for the gladius, 1 jet they are going to add and that most likely its going to be CAS and dogfight jet while the Longsword its a bomber and interceptor. We need something like an apache longbow: fast, maneuverable, quite small and that can hit and destroy armored vehicles from far distances using their AT guided missiles and autocannons. In halo wars it has a laser gun, but there is a machinegun concept for it too, implying it could have a machinegun instead as this is set just before the covenant war.

About trophy, as far as i'm concerned I have never seen or heard anything about the unsc using that kind of system, so not sure if its canon. Nevertheless I agree, its 500 years in the future they should have some kind of countermeasures. I think they use CIWS too as there is a AA turret in reach that looks like the Goalkeeper CIWS.

i think for the Pelican, you should use the Osprey V22 (MV22 ingame modd) type of flight, because they fly in a smilar way. press "X" to be like an helicopter flight mod (to drop troopers and land for example), and press "X" again to turn into Plane flight mode (faster and easier to control).

PS: please excuse my Engish, not too good but working on it.

VTOL is way harder to control, AI its pretty bad at using it, plus the pelican is working really well now as an helicopter, tough I made a suggestion it may make the pelican more versatile without the need of being VTOL:

I have an idea for the pelican speed that could work, though im not sure. Do you know the FA-18 superHornet addon? It has an afterburners feature, which is an script that increases the acceleration and the speed when activated. Im not sure how that script works, but if you did something similar and you managed to get it to work properly, the pelican would become even more versatile (without the need of being VTOL). So the player could enable and disable it depending the circumstances, this way it could travel long distances faster, then disable it, slow down quickly and deploy wherever its needed to. Slow mode 200 kmh - fast mode up to 500 kmh. Of course Ai should not use this mode unless scripted to do so, Ai has already enough problems with it, though it pilots much better now.
Edited by nightovizard

you should try to download the MV22 mod, and you ll see that its not actually that hard. it is, but we shouldnt forget that we should make it as real as possible, like a real simulation, that's armas purpose.

you should try to download the MV22 mod, and you ll see that its not actually that hard. it is, but we shouldnt forget that we should make it as real as possible, like a real simulation, that's armas purpose.

Im on your side, in my opinion, we should have 2 versions of the pelican:

-1 Pelican with the VTOL flight model, for very fast troop insertion, for some very happy Pilots but especially for Coop and PvP games.

-1 Pelican with the Helicopter flight model, controllable for AI Pilots, for shipping around supplies for singleplayer and Coop games

Edit: Im not a dev, I dont know how hard it is to create a VTOL flight model that fits with the Pelican, but I know some Devs who actually can do such things.

Is anyone from the DEV team still here?

I found a serious issue may caused by TEI.

I load TEI on my server side and then started the server,when I connect to the server(I also loaded TEI when I connect the server),it seems the server side would crashed in few minutes and lost the connection.All the other members in my coop unit have this issue too and they all loaded TEI when then connect to the server.Then I unload the TEI from the server side,no more this issue,seem it is the reason.I'm also using RHS 0.3.6 and ALIVE with TEI.

---------- Post added at 20:39 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

It is the server side crashed not the player side game crash.The player side the game was still running but the server side crashed so they lost connection because the server shut down.

You have to understand that at this stage we haven't really designed the mod with compatibility in mind. The same way people had issues with ASDG_JR, There could potentially be some incompatibilities with TEI and RHS. The ideal circumstance to play the mod would be running with just @TEI and @CBA_A3. We're not capable of checking compatibility with every other major mod atm. Maybe in the future, though.

-1 Pelican with the VTOL flight model, for very fast troop insertion, for some very happy Pilots but especially for Coop and PvP games.

-1 Pelican with the Helicopter flight model, controllable for AI Pilots, for shipping around supplies for singleplayer and Coop games

Edit: Im not a dev, I dont know how hard it is to create a VTOL flight model that fits with the Pelican, but I know some Devs who actually can do such things.

I understand that you, as well as some others, feel strongly about this topic. That said, we have all but made our decision regarding the flight model. We may reconsider this further down the road, but, as of now, we simply have too many other, more pressing, matters to attend to.

Edited by Scorch_052

They already toyed around with the VTOL flight mechanics and honestly it doesn't fit as well as helicopter flight mechanics. About a VTOL variant of the pelican... That's extra work, maybe they could do it, but they have lots of things to do, also if more people want it so badly it is possible to make it themselves, they just need to tweak and code it and make a new separate addon out of it as it is not allowed to modify the main mod file.

I understand that you, as well as some others, feel strongly about this topic. That said, we have all but made our decision regarding the flight model. We may reconsider this further down the road, but, as of now, we simply have too many other, more pressing, matters to attend to.

As I said before, I could already die of happiness that this mod exists and I have huge respect and trust in this development. If you and others think that something is better a different way, I accept it. Im just writing down my Ideas and personal wishes

We need something like an apache longbow: fast, maneuverable, quite small and that can hit and destroy armored vehicles from far distances using their AT guided missiles and autocannons.

I think that AV-22 Sparrowhawk will be included at some point. Maybe we could have variants: one with rail guns and other with ATGM's and maybe FFAR's.

BTW: Scorpion Gunship from the Avatar movie looks pretty cool too.

Still, Im curious about the lack of ATGM's in Halo-verse. Gauss weaponry does sound like a great alternative as APS wouldnt be able to protect from it. However total absence? That is just odd. ATGM's have the fire-and-forget perk and can be fired without the need of pointing a gun at target, with makes it likely to miss if target or the firing platform moves around. In the end we could give the ANVIL-II a DAGR like homing system.

As I said before, I could already die of happiness that this mod exists and I have huge respect and trust in this development. If you and others think that something is better a different way, I accept it. Im just writing down my Ideas and personal wishes

Would such change require any rework of the model, or it would need to be config change only? If its config only I guess I could toy around with it just for giggles, no promises though, I like that AI is able to use D77 without much issues.

About Pelican's flight characteristic: if you would increase the overall mass of an aircraft, would it make it descend faster? EDIT: Answer is no, but higher mass makes the vehicle react more to directions.

PS: An idea: static rail gun that can be broken down and carried by infantry.

Edited by Taro8

We need something like an apache longbow: fast, maneuverable, quite small and that can hit and destroy armored vehicles from far distances using their AT guided missiles and autocannons. In halo wars it has a laser

That role is filled by the AV-14 Hornet, which has two autocannons and two guided missile launchers. There is also the AV-22 Sparrowhawk which has a twin autocannons and a Spartan Laser.

till, Im curious about the lack of ATGM's in Halo-verse. Gauss weaponry does sound like a great alternative as APS wouldnt be able to protect from it. However total absence? That is just odd. ATGM's have the fire-and-forget perk and can be fired without the need of pointing a gun at target, with makes it likely to miss if target or the firing platform moves around.

Pretty much all of the guided missile systems in the UNSC are able to target both Land and Air vehicles, so there aren't any real dedicated ATGMs. Even the Hornet missiles can lock on to aircraft.

Even the Hornet missiles can lock on to aircraft.

I wonder how the dev team is going to do this. It probably wouldn't be too hard.

If you wanna to make the script works in Zeus or MCC,you have to change that “this†in the script to “_thisâ€.Sorry forgot to mention this.should like this,"_this addaction [("<t color="#81BEF7"">" + ("Request Orbital Insertion") +"</t>"), TEI_HEV_fnc_podCallSelf, "", 7, true, true, "", "];",I use this in Zeus and it works.

And anyone know the reason of the server side crash?

-EDIT-

Found the reddit page, and I guess we can't launch AI on their own in HEVs. Hope there's a fix for that soon.

For anyone else having trouble, here's the page: http://www.reddit.com/r/EridanusInsurrection/comments/2ykzly/how_to_launch_a_hev_using_the_mission_editor_or/

Edited by Trooper226

So are you guys potentially looking for more for the mod team? I have some experience in 3D design and texture work. I could probably help you guys optimize the textures in game.

Pretty much all of the guided missile systems in the UNSC are able to target both Land and Air vehicles, so there aren't any real dedicated ATGMs. Even the Hornet missiles can lock on to aircraft.

Sorry I was thinking that USNC lacked any kind of guided missiles, derp. Still, an AA and AT missiles are vastly different AT rocket has to punch through the armor, while AA must catch the target and at least splash it with shrapnel. Even if they can lock onto both types they wont be as effective. Although I did manage to knock out a charging T-72 with a Stinger, from the front :p.

Hornet is tiny little baby man attack aircraft, we need something bigger and manlier for a dedicated ground attack VTOL.

Edited by Taro8

Sorry I was thinking that USNC lacked any kind of guided missiles, derp. Still, an AA and AT missiles are vastly different AT rocket has to punch through the armor, while AA must catch the target and at least splash it with shrapnel. Even if they can lock onto both types they wont be as effective. Although I did manage to knock out a charging T-72 with a Stinger, from the front :p.

Hornet is tiny little baby man attack aircraft, we need something bigger and manlier for a dedicated ground attack VTOL.

UNSC AA missiles could very well have the punch to deal with armor, since they have to take out armored VTOLs and space ships.

As for a manly ground attack VTOL, look no further than the AC-220 Vulture: http://www.halopedia.org/AC-220_Vulture

But- but- but fire from vehicle... :(

-EDIT-

Found the reddit page, and I guess we can't launch AI on their own in HEVs. Hope there's a fix for that soon.

For anyone else having trouble, here's the page: http://www.reddit.com/r/EridanusInsurrection/comments/2ykzly/how_to_launch_a_hev_using_the_mission_editor_or/

I don't know the solution exactly but Scorch, the dev who made the script, says it is possible. There is a separate script to call to make the AI drop in. Scorch if you read this help me out lol

As for all this talk for a ground attack aircraft, the Pelican will have a gunship variant with a large nose Cannon and wing mounted rocket/missile pods.

The Hornet will fill the same role a little bird would. The pelican is somewhat more of an Mi24 being able to transport a fair number of soldiers while also giving them air support. The Sparrowhawk and Vulture will very likely not make an appearance unfortunately.

Edited by spacenavy90

-EDIT-

Use this instead for AI.

player addaction [("<t color=""#81BEF7"">" + ("Request ODST Support") +"</t>"), TEI_HEV_fnc_podCallAI, "", 7, true, true, "", "_this == _target"];

Let's not forget that this is 500 years in the future, and a more streamlined missile system for both AA and AT could be in place at that time. For Arma's sake, they may have to come up with separate missile systems, I'm not entirely sure how it works.

I don't know the solution exactly but Scorch, the dev who made the script, says it is possible. There is a separate script to call to make the AI drop in. Scorch if you read this help me out lol

As for all this talk for a ground attack aircraft, the Pelican will have a gunship variant with a large nose Cannon and wing mounted rocket/missile pods.

The Hornet will fill the same role a little bird would. The pelican is somewhat more of an Mi24 being able to transport a fair number of soldiers while also giving them air support. The Sparrowhawk and Vulture will very likely not make an appearance unfortunately.

I'm sure there's a solution, even if there isn't one present now. I just can't wait until I can drop a squad of ODSTs in the pouring rain into a city without me being the only survivor lol.

Well then, could we at least get a dedicated ground attack version of the Hornet? Pelican is a giant target, something smaller could be useful.

I found this floating in the web, fanon, but looks damn cool: http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2014/171/d/8/mv_14b_hornet_by_splinteredmatt-d4etql0.png

A stubby wings with missiles and rocket pods instead of passenger bench would be great.

While we are at the Hornet: are the passengers going to sit or stand on the sides? I kinda dont like the idea of them standing around, not only its more dangerous, but it would tire the soldiers out.

Edited by Taro8