SpaceNavy

The Eridanus Insurrection - An Arma 3 Total Modication

hey cool that youre helping them, I would too, I would even do that damn VTOL pelican by myself, but I once tried to take a step into the arma 3 tools and I failed..

I wish you'd stop with the vtol. It would make the pelican worse, not better. Do you not remember how bulky and slow the MV-22 was

Hey, has anyone seen the autoriflemen actually fire? The ammo doesnt seem compatible with the rifle, ammo from stock ammo boxes works fine.

I wish you'd stop with the vtol. It would make the pelican worse, not better. Do you not remember how bulky and slow the MV-22 was

Agreed, it's unnecessary and the pelican (as it is now) moves really, really fast. All there needs to be are some value tweaks, no need to turn it into an MV-22 and have it not be functional with AI pilots.

I can confirm, for my setup, upgrading ASDG to .13 did stop the crashes.

Exactly right. The MV-22 was a flying whale. I just wish the pelican was a bit more nimble. In the games, they show it capable of hard banks and turns.

Don´t know why but I get an error message "Include file userconfig/Tei/TEI.hpp not found." Does somebody know how to fix this?

I'm having the same issue. I'm new to this modding business and any help would be appreciated.

Exactly right. The MV-22 was a flying whale. I just wish the pelican was a bit more nimble. In the games, they show it capable of hard banks and turns.

Working on that right now. It is muchhh better. I'm trying to figure out how to make it slow down better though...

I'm having the same issue. I'm new to this modding business and any help would be appreciated.

Put the userconfig folder in your Arma 3 directory.

EDIT: Yes it has been mentioned before, but I started this post before Bates had posted. I have kids. Takes time to get anything done. So I'm posting anyways.

Couple observations/opinions about the WIP Pelican(s).

NOTE: ALL of my testing has been with AFM enabled so without it some of the following observations may not apply.

Maneuverability: It is a fair bit sluggish, I realize you're trying to simulate a pseudo fixed wing VTOL using heli physics and the way you have implemented it works well as far as I am concerned; and the secondary fact of it being necessary to have it classed as a heli instead of the 'true' vtol functions is that since they are technically classed as fixed wings sling loading does not work for fixed wing. However, at speed it banks poorly and IMHO could stand to have the ability to bank a bitmore effectively. As it stands right now it doesn't bank well at speed 150-300, and if you are performing a combat insertion or extraction in a hot(ish) LZ, evasive maneuvers, or trying to do any NAP flying you're going to have a bad time and will either crash or get shot down. If you slow down to around 60-150 the maneuverability improves, however so does your vulnerability to AA fire tenfold especially at low altitudes due to your low speed.

TL;DR: Could use more ability to bank more effectively.

Sling loading: Works fine until you hook, then the aircraft immediately begins flying backwards. Fast. Which is going to be the source of some problems if the pilot isn't prepared for it. Due to positioning of the sling? Config issue? AFM?

A suggestion is to also see if you can add the functions of the TaruPodMod http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?186272-XENO-Taru-Pod-Mod feature of retracting the ropes and attaching the warthog/crate/whatever to the underside of the tail o the pelican like in halo. Conceptually that would also allow you to create a troop bay extension pod instead of having to make a whole new pelican model and be able to modify your load capabilities on the fly.

Halo_Pelicans_by_ArK170rOX.jpg

Get Out Position: I think this should be moved back 1-2 meters, if the ramp is down and a character disembarks they clip with the ramp and have issues with disembarking such as getting stuck in the ramp, or becoming injured.

Scroll menu: Displays open/close actions regardless of ramp position. Ramp is not openable/closeable from the exterior of the aircraft. Has option for manual fire, but no weapons; remove?

Fuel Consumption: Seems a little bit too high.

Landing Gear: No wheel break/wheels don't roll for grounded taxi.

Engine Sound: Maybe a tad bit too loud outside, and cannot hear it inside the cockpit at all after the engines spool up completely. It feels like flying in a vacuum.

Overall I really like the pelican even in its WIP state.

Warthogs: Seem to want to roll over mid air if they get wheels off the ground. PhysX issue?

Gausshog: Cannon didn't seem to damage buildings, sporadically would not damage other vehicles at all even with a direct hit.

Damage Models: Still need implementing?

Weapons: Seem fine, my only critique is of the pistol. I never noticed in HALO (spartan HUD uplink compensating for it I guess :P) that the iron sights are physically impossible to use since the upper housing that contains the optics blocks them entirely. Is there a way to create that portion as an attachment like the battle rifle's ammo feed? Or should we just learn how to use the optic as this is working as intended?

Marine/Pilot armor: There is some clipping with the neck armor http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=404379936

Question: Is AGM Fast roping going to be enabled for the pelican as well?

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Venix

Put the userconfig folder in your Arma 3 directory.

Great, thanks!

Great work on the alpha, Starting to generate a few lore friendly missions. Quick Question which may seem pre-emptive. But im building a large scale UNSC Base, i was just wondering when are you guys introducing the Longsword and other heavy vehicles? I understand that this may seem ridiculous considering the alpha has just been released and that you are hard at work on patches.

Thanks.

Like these; http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z293/rolgrim/halo%201%20marine/halo1marinearmorfullcircle.jpg ? Yeah I agree, they did look a lot better as far as style goes.

if your saying that style's better, that design was controversial believe it or not because its resemblance to the ALIENS marines, plus i prefer these over the halo one ones, except they need a version with the "scouter"

If any of the modellers are available, I'd like to provide a bit of feedback.

The first thing I'd like to talk about is reflectivity and lighting. I recall one of the modellers some pages back somewhere commenting that the reflectivity is fine, and that it looks as it would in real life, but I have to disagree. The screenshots of your model renders do indeed look fine, they look amazing in fact. But in the ArmA3 engine, dark-coloured textures like the BR55 or the ODST armors get a peculiar visual effect in the light where the textures look much more black or gray than they would look in certain other rendering engines, to the point where the textures start to look flat. This is especially noticeable on the BR55 and the ODST uniform, the ODST uniform appearing black-ish where it should be more gray and tan. Compare the BR55 ingame model to the darkest-coloured vanilla weapons like the Katiba or the Sting. Those two guns' textures can clearly be seen even in bright daylight while still looking metallic. Do you agree with this? Could using reflectivity and/or a colour scheme closer to the vanilla weapons improve the look of the ingame models?

The second thing I'd like to discuss is the ODST uniforms. Ever since the first screenshots of the ODST renders there's been something bugging me about the design, but I haven't been able to put my finger on it until now, when I have been able to play around with the unit ingame. Anyone who has ever looked at Spartan, ODST or other full-body armor cosplay might have come across a couple of cosplays that look unusually pudgy or thick. The reason why is not necessarily because the wearer is fat (though this is certainly the case in some pictures) but rather because making a suit based on models where the armor is molded so tightly around the human body is quite hard. Cue ArmA3's outfit+vest system where the vest is rendered on top of the base outfit model. As I understand it - and please feel free to correct me here - there are various clipping problems with making a vest fit too tightly around the base model, and so the ODST body armor sits slightly outside of the undersuit with some space inbetween. As a side effect, this makes the ODST body look awfully chunky compared to the rest of the suit, reminiscent of those bad cosplays. Do you agree with this? Is this something you were conscious of during modeling? Lastly, do you think there is any way to produce a more compact vest armor? Would it be possible with scripting to make the undersuit model change to a slimmer version when the vest is put on?

In a more positive light, I love everything about the modelling work on the marine soldiers. They are beautiful.

Just a heads up.

Talked to Space, the hotfix will likely be delayed until tomorrow pending some work on the HEV's scripting and a few more fixes.

Thank you for your patience.

Corvaillian, we will be reworking the battle rifle and ODST texture (except helmet). However, as for the model, it may remain as is. Best we can do is mess around with placement of the armour. Someone suggested on MODDB that we make the waist pieces smaller to give him the classic hero-triangle shape.

Not sure how this would work due to 1. not being much of a programmer (though I'm teaching myself slowely) 2. due to legal reasons as to who has the rights after the whole debacle with arma life and tonic, and 3. the fact that there might not be much of a demand, But I for one would love to see a life server set up using this mod with the army/marines playing the basic cop roles and odst playing the swat/officer roles, and obviously the innies being the rebels. If anyone gets something up and running I'd love to hear about it and hope on and play. Oh and by the way I've played a solid 9 hours straight messing around with the mod and its been great so far, keep up the great work guys! :D

Do you agree with this? Could using reflectivity and/or a colour scheme closer to the vanilla weapons improve the look of the ingame models?

We will look into trying to improve the textures, but I have to say they look fine in our opinions.

Do you agree with this? Is this something you were conscious of during modeling? Lastly, do you think there is any way to produce a more compact vest armor? Would it be possible with scripting to make the undersuit model change to a slimmer version when the vest is put on?

Yes this is one of the things we are aware of. And you are correct about the clipping errors. Once again, we'll see what we can do about it however I doubt there will be much we can do. :(

But thank you very much for your honest feedback!

Not sure how this would work due to 1. not being much of a programmer (though I'm teaching myself slowely) 2. due to legal reasons as to who has the rights after the whole debacle with arma life and tonic, and 3. the fact that there might not be much of a demand, But I for one would love to see a life server set up using this mod with the army/marines playing the basic cop roles and odst playing the swat/officer roles, and obviously the innies being the rebels. If anyone gets something up and running I'd love to hear about it and hope on and play. Oh and by the way I've played a solid 9 hours straight messing around with the mod and its been great so far, keep up the great work guys! :D

You'll be dealing more with a lack of support from modders here in the community if you decide to go through with this. I personally have nothing against Arma LIFE only the developers that did what they did. People liked the game mode so why shun them? It wasn't the players fault for the developers' shady actions. I would recommend you learn to code and mod for yourself and also wait for us to release our New Mombasa Police Department faction. It would fit much nicer with an Arma LIFE server if someone made one.

Ive been looking into it and other than changing the configs around (which is no small task but its something I am comfortable with doing), the only thing to keep in mind is to follow tonics instructions for using the mission which basically just say dont monetize it and dont change any of the names around to try and steal credit, and I have no intention of doing either. I'm going to see what I can do about contacting him personally to make sure he is okay with it and will move on from there. If anyone would like to help me with setting this up message me or add me on steam: RedX.

Any ETA on when the NMPD would be added? considering the only times I've even seen them mentioned is on the planned features lists, it seems like it might be a while unless its just a matter of retexturing and adding a few new helmets or such. No rush either, way you guys have done great work so far.

I also remember seeing someone mention something about how youve already added some structures and they were in the release already, but as far as I can tell, there isnt anything yet, can I get a confirmation on that?

Also once things come closer to completion and such, Id love to recreate the Assault on Eridanus Secundus (with ODST's instead of spartan obviously) where in the spartans snuck into the insurrectionist base in the asteroids and captured (killed?) Robert Watts. Depending on how many people are interested it could even be an adversarial mission. ( 5 or so covert ops odsts sneaking into a heavily guarded {20 or so light to medium armored innies) innie base and taking out Watts) Halo and Arma are the franchises I hold dearest to me and Id love to be able to give back to both communities.

Edited by RedxUnicorn

I feel like the M7 is a little underpowered. I'm hitting guys with no armor on and they still have time to turn around and put me down even if I sneak up behind them. Do you guys feel the M7 is fine as is?

I'd change the damage myself for me personally but I'm not real sure how to do so.

I feel like the M7 is a little underpowered. I'm hitting guys with no armor on and they still have time to turn around and put me down even if I sneak up behind them. Do you guys feel the M7 is fine as is?

I'd change the damage myself for me personally but I'm not real sure how to do so.

Firstly, just so everyone knows changing or modifying the original files of the mod is NOT allowed. Using our original files as a dependency for a mod of your own IS allowed though.

The high rate of fire and large magazine levels out the M7 SMG. It is supposed to be this way.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was playing around with UNSC units in ALiVE on Stratis, only to find that pelicans were spawning inside the aircraft hangers, and exploding instantly due to their size. I don't know if that's useful information, or if it could be passed along to someone who would find it useful, but I just thought I should mention!

Weapons: Seem fine, my only critique is of the pistol. I never noticed in HALO (spartan HUD uplink compensating for it I guess :P) that the iron sights are physically impossible to use since the upper housing that contains the optics blocks them entirely. Is there a way to create that portion as an attachment like the battle rifle's ammo feed? Or should we just learn how to use the optic as this is working as intended?

The scope on top of the pistol is an attachment. You can remove it. Furthermore, switching zoom modes will allow you to scope in with it. I'm not sure why its irons first and scope as backup, it should be switched and I think it's already fixed.

The first thing I'd like to talk about is reflectivity and lighting. I recall one of the modellers some pages back somewhere commenting that the reflectivity is fine, and that it looks as it would in real life, but I have to disagree. The screenshots of your model renders do indeed look fine, they look amazing in fact. But in the ArmA3 engine, dark-coloured textures like the BR55 or the ODST armors get a peculiar visual effect in the light where the textures look much more black or gray than they would look in certain other rendering engines, to the point where the textures start to look flat. This is especially noticeable on the BR55 and the ODST uniform, the ODST uniform appearing black-ish where it should be more gray and tan. Compare the BR55 ingame model to the darkest-coloured vanilla weapons like the Katiba or the Sting. Those two guns' textures can clearly be seen even in bright daylight while still looking metallic. Do you agree with this? Could using reflectivity and/or a colour scheme closer to the vanilla weapons improve the look of the ingame models?

As Stirls said, the ODST stuff is going to be reworked eventually. I'm curious, are you commenting on the light reflectance and how light shines off the texture or the color of the texture?

This mod is freaking great!

Just wanted to say something about the ODST's their back are kind bare. They still have texture from one of the vests on there I'm sure you know but just wanted to put this on here to see if it helps. http://www.xboxwallpapers.net/1920x1080/halo-3-odst-03-artwork.jpg

Otherwise you guys are doing great things! I can't wait for fully functioning Drop Pods!

Firstly, just so everyone knows changing or modifying the original files of the mod is NOT allowed. Using our original files as a dependency for a mod of your own IS allowed though.

The high rate of fire and large magazine levels out the M7 SMG. It is supposed to be this way.

Ah i see, well I won't be messing with it at all then. I know the large mag and high rate of fire help but it still feels like a BB gun when clearing a house, aside from the damage the rate of fire feels really close to home with Halo 3 ODST, I absolutely love it.