SpaceNavy

The Eridanus Insurrection - An Arma 3 Total Modication

havent posted in a while, it was due to the fact that i was searching for my pants... needless to say i gave up at the sight of the drop pod x.x speechless

I should also say, that armor will not be playing much of a part in the protection of any soldier. Obviously, there will be some means of protection but not nearly to the degree that lore would have us believe.

This is a "modern" day video game after all.

The droppod really is jaw dropping. Good work guys. As for the armour, I understand and agree with the direction you are taking with the mod with regards to realism. Combat between ODST's and innis should still be challenging. Having said that, combat between existing units in arma (while not really following lore but will allow some people to play out their fantasies and allow greater variation in missions etc) especialy with ODST's, should highlight the advances in technology. A possible solutions to this could be to increase the amour values for the ODST's to reasonable level that give the user and advantage over existing content (but not to super soldier levels). Then raise ethier the penetration or damge levels of the ammunition used by innis and ODST's to keep the playing field level and represent the tech differance. Looking forward to hearing your view on this.

The droppod really is jaw dropping. Good work guys. As for the armour, I understand and agree with the direction you are taking with the mod with regards to realism. Combat between ODST's and innis should still be challenging. Having said that, combat between existing units in arma (while not really following lore but will allow some people to play out their fantasies and allow greater variation in missions etc) especialy with ODST's, should highlight the advances in technology. A possible solutions to this could be to increase the amour values for the ODST's to reasonable level that give the user and advantage over existing content (but not to super soldier levels). Then raise ethier the penetration or damge levels of the ammunition used by innis and ODST's to keep the playing field level and represent the tech differance. Looking forward to hearing your view on this.

I disagree. If people want to use our units with vanilla assets and even other mod units we shouldn't limit that by giving our units an unfair advantage with higher armor and penatration values. This is one of the examples where the lore needs to step aside for game play reasons.

I envy your #777 post count btw...

Edited by spacenavy90

I disagree. If people want to use our units with vanilla assets and even other mod units we shouldn't limit that by giving our units an unfair advantage with higher armor and penatration values. This is one of the examples where the lore needs to step aside for game play reasons.

I envy your #777 post count btw...

I hear what you are saying. The mod of course is yours to take in any direction you choose and I respect that. Having said that I too disagree haha!! In truth, having re read my post, I may have given the wrong impression of what I'd like to see. Simply put, my question is whether the ODST units will act like a reskin in the sence of stats and numbers. Or if there is a gamplay impact in donning the fantasitc ODST armour (for example, higher armour value with less mobility, or higher mobility with wieght etc etc)

As you "may" have deduced from my writing, my preferences lie with the ODST armour having certain (balanced) characteristics, that force the player to make a decision depending on the situation. An example of this being, "Right I'm dropping into the heart of a FOB, the extra protection at the cost of mobility will be better" or "well I'm dropping onto the green mountian and tabbing down to point x, I'd better pack light".

Like yourself, I wish for the mod to stay away from the super soldier style. But I fear with no impact on wearing ODST armour, the wearer is essentially wieghing himself down and dooning zero camo for the sake of looking ally. To be fair, this is a good enough reason given the quality of the armour shown so far, but in my opinion would detract from the mod as a whole.

I look forward to you response, as long as it doesn't begin with "I disagree" haha!!

As always, good luck with the modding!

Yes, there is a weigh system. Hence the reason they would weigh more :)

Cloaking is absolutely not happening. I'll say that now. But if we decide to do SPARTAN-IIs, SPI armor is likely one of the variants we will make.

I should also say, that armor will not be playing much of a part in the protection of any soldier. Obviously, there will be some means of protection but not nearly to the degree that the lore would have us believe.

This is a "modern" day video game after all.

Awesome, so then I guess that would be the trade-off. Would the rounds be different too you think? Or would they fire the exact some round?

I think if cloaking were to be done, theoretically speaking, it would have to be nerfed to the point where it's only useful the same way a ghillie suit is. It would only be able to activate while standing still, and would last a very short amount of time. At that point there's not much reason to have it in the game I guess.

I agree with the armor, I would follow suit with however BIS handled the independent factions and the UN factions in ArmA 3, like the armor protection from a kevlar vest in vanilla would have similar values to the ODST armor.

Oh here's another question, have you considered adding damage values to the helmets? For instance if there's shrapnel damage or someone is lucky enough to survive a headshot of some kind, would the visor crack? Or would this interfere with VISR mode?

Awesome job on those pods by the way, they look better than they did in Halo 3: ODST!

I hear what you are saying. The mod of course is yours to take in any direction you choose and I respect that. Having said that I too disagree haha!! In truth, having re read my post, I may have given the wrong impression of what I'd like to see. Simply put, my question is whether the ODST units will act like a reskin in the sence of stats and numbers. Or if there is a gamplay impact in donning the fantasitc ODST armour (for example, higher armour value with less mobility, or higher mobility with wieght etc etc)

As you "may" have deduced from my writing, my preferences lie with the ODST armour having certain (balanced) characteristics, that force the player to make a decision depending on the situation. An example of this being, "Right I'm dropping into the heart of a FOB, the extra protection at the cost of mobility will be better" or "well I'm dropping onto the green mountian and tabbing down to point x, I'd better pack light".

Like yourself, I wish for the mod to stay away from the super soldier style. But I fear with no impact on wearing ODST armor, the wearer is essentially wieghing himself down and dooning zero camo for the sake of looking ally. To be fair, this is a good enough reason given the quality of the armour shown so far, but in my opinion would detract from the mod as a whole.

I look forward to you response, as long as it doesn't begin with "I disagree" haha!!

As always, good luck with the modding!

Ohhh... I thought you were trying to say to just give the ODSTs super soldier mode with the Innies given higher damage/penetration to compensate which made no sense to me. For the most part, the ODST will simply be a "reskin" for all intents and purposes. It will have approximately the same weight and armor protection that say a uniform and plate carrier on a vanilla unit would have. The armor is for the mostly, to look awesome to be honest. Adding different armor properties like that just brings in too many variables for unfair gameplay so it is better for all of us if we just stick to what has been tried and tested referring to the vanilla assets. Those types of mission decisions would be more about the type of equipment the individual would bring rather than the uniform they wear, though I should say that you should NEVER drop directly into an Innie camp :P that would be very unwise.

Awesome, so then I guess that would be the trade-off. Would the rounds be different too you think? Or would they fire the exact some round?

I think if cloaking were to be done, theoretically speaking, it would have to be nerfed to the point where it's only useful the same way a ghillie suit is. It would only be able to activate while standing still, and would last a very short amount of time. At that point there's not much reason to have it in the game I guess.

I agree with the armor, I would follow suit with however BIS handled the independent factions and the UN factions in ArmA 3, like the armor protection from a kevlar vest in vanilla would have similar values to the ODST armor.

Oh here's another question, have you considered adding damage values to the helmets? For instance if there's shrapnel damage or someone is lucky enough to survive a headshot of some kind, would the visor crack? Or would this interfere with VISR mode?

Awesome job on those pods by the way, they look better than they did in Halo 3: ODST!

Yes, they would fire the same round (7.62x51mm). It would be pretty silly to me to change the damage for each just because of a magazine count different. :)

I absolutely agree about the Kevlar armor values also.

As with the head damage, that is far too much trouble for such a tiny detail. If you get shot or hit in the head by shrapnel, you should die. :P

Ohhh... I thought you were trying to say to just give the ODSTs super soldier mode with the Innies given higher damage/penetration to compensate which made no sense to me. For the most part, the ODST will simply be a "reskin" for all intents and purposes. It will have approximately the same weight and armor protection that say a uniform and plate carrier on a vanilla unit would have. The armor is for the mostly, to look awesome to be honest. Adding different armor properties like that just brings in too many variables for unfair gameplay so it is better for all of us if we just stick to what has been tried and tested referring to the vanilla assets. Those types of mission decisions would be more about the type of equipment the individual would bring rather than the uniform they wear, though I should say that you should NEVER drop directly into an Innie camp :P that would be very unwise.

Yes, they would fire the same round (7.62x51mm). It would be pretty silly to me to change the damage for each just because of a magazine count different. :)

I absolutely agree about the Kevlar armor values also.

As with the head damage, that is far too much trouble for such a tiny detail. If you get shot or hit in the head by shrapnel, you should die. :P

RIP Noble Six and his crappy helmet.

How about those handy dandy ODST and marine backpacks? Will those be replacing the typical backpacks we see in ArmA 3?

RIP Noble Six and his crappy helmet.

How about those handy dandy ODST and marine backpacks? Will those be replacing the typical backpacks we see in ArmA 3?

We have a few custom backpacks now, and a we will look into more designs to add. But we aren't replacing anything. If anyone wants to use vanilla backpacks, nothing is stopping you.

Were there any designs in particular you were hoping for?

will we be seeing the Air Assault helmet, as it was originally designed as a replacement for ODST helmet before being a spartan helmet

will we be seeing the Air Assault helmet, as it was originally designed as a replacement for ODST helmet before being a spartan helmet

Possibly. Was thinking about using that for the pilot helmet.

Possibly. Was thinking about using that for the pilot helmet.

Isn't there an existing set of helmets for the pilots?

We have a few custom backpacks now, and a we will look into more designs to add. But we aren't replacing anything. If anyone wants to use vanilla backpacks, nothing is stopping you.

Were there any designs in particular you were hoping for?

Just the ODST and marine backpacks used in the games, that's all I could think of really.

Isn't there an existing set of helmets for the pilots?

Just the ODST and marine backpacks used in the games, that's all I could think of really.

Yes there a few different ones. One from Halo CE, 2 and 3. My favorite is either 2 or 3's but the helmet Angel mentioned could also be used.

We actually already have those two backpacks but surprisingly there aren't many backpacks in any of the Halo games. We may end up using reskinned vanilla backpacks unless we find interesting designs to use. I believe the vanilla Arma backpacks fit the Halo use well.

Yes there a few different ones. One from Halo CE, 2 and 3. My favorite is either 2 or 3's but the helmet Angel mentioned could also be used.

We actually already have those two backpacks but surprisingly there aren't many backpacks in any of the Halo games. We may end up using reskinned vanilla backpacks unless we find interesting designs to use. I believe the vanilla Arma backpacks fit the Halo use well.

Well the Air Assault helmet could probably be used for UNSC Army Airborne, if you're planning on having that type of infantry in. Perhaps an alternative to loud ODST drops. As for pilot helmets, I think there are a few different things you can do to include them all. Dropship pilots could have the Halo 2 helmets, the ones that look like modern chopper pilot helmets (without a faceplate). Jet or other offensive aircraft pilots could use the Halo 3 variant or possibly the Pilot helmet from Reach. Both the Air Assault and Pilot helmets have lore behind them too for those particular roles.

Yeah I've noticed that, I think so far only the ODST backpacks and the Army/Marine backpacks have been shown off in Halo 3: ODST, Reach, and Anniversary respectively. For me personally, the two backpacks would do fine. Although reskinning some vanilla ones isn't a bad idea.

Another question that I think may have been discussed a while ago: Are you going to include various camouflages for different combat environments on Marine/Army BDUs? And will the CH252 helmet have different versions? Like the normal version, one with a small visor, or one with a full face cover (which I think was finished if I'm not mistaken).

Cheers, lad. Update on the Warthog, too. High Poly is in the works, low poly retopology is done. Dog made all of the original models (beautifully), but to actually create high-poly geo I need to retopologise.

http://puu.sh/coDDj/f0002ce691.jpg (206 kB)